Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Proper way to engage 4wd (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/277849-proper-way-engage-4wd.html)

4gambler 09-22-2019 02:59 PM

Proper way to engage 4wd

Soon to be 2020 SR5 premium 4wd owner.

Correct me if i am wrong and add tips.

From regular 2wd to 4hi coast straight line off the gas off the brakes around 35mph engine running squeeze plastic lock thing and rotate to 4hi and wait for dash to indicate engagement and then OK to accelerate and drive on off road conditions to prevent bind.
This right?

From 4hi to 4lo or from 4lo to 4hi - engine running idling shift tranny to neutral and step on brake squeeze lock thing push down on knob and rotate to 4lo and pray no grinding. Is this right?

Can one go from 4lo straight to 2hi with tranny in neutral or first go to 4hi coast a little and then to 2wd?

Best to shift in and out of 4lo with engine off?

LAST QUESTION - FRIEKEN caps lock.... If for whatever dumb reason rear gets stuck on 2wd your only option is to go to 4lo since front wheels will not be rolling to be able to go into 4hi?

Will be my first 4wd vehicle. Tips ALWAYS APPRECIATED FROM THE KNOW GUYS.

If you gonna laught at me go ahead and get it outa your system to move on.

4gambler 09-22-2019 03:03 PM

Ok to leave parked in 4wd 4lo or 4hi?

slprciv 09-22-2019 03:19 PM

Owner's manual says it all.

4gambler 09-22-2019 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slprciv (Post 3359967)
Owner's manual says it all.

10 4 boss... "Costco dealer rep" from today said 4 weeks.
Other "costco rep" said 2 to 3 weeks.

LimeLED 09-22-2019 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4gambler (Post 3359956)

Soon to be 2020 SR5 premium 4wd owner.

Correct me if i am wrong and add tips.

From regular 2wd to 4hi coast straight line off the gas off the brakes around 35mph engine running squeeze plastic lock thing and rotate to 4hi and wait for dash to indicate engagement and then OK to accelerate and drive on off road conditions to prevent bind.
This right?
In SR5, you can shift from H2 to H4 at under 62 MPH (50 MPH with TRD Off-Road or Pro). Just don't do it with the wheels spinning (losing traction).

From 4hi to 4lo or from 4lo to 4hi - engine running idling shift tranny to neutral and step on brake squeeze lock thing push down on knob and rotate to 4lo and pray no grinding. Is this right?
Correct.

Can one go from 4lo straight to 2hi with tranny in neutral or first go to 4hi coast a little and then to 2wd?
Should be able to go directly.

Best to shift in and out of 4lo with engine off?
No, do it with the engine running.

LAST QUESTION - FRIEKEN caps lock.... If for whatever dumb reason rear gets stuck on 2wd your only option is to go to 4lo since front wheels will not be rolling to be able to go into 4hi?
No, you can go to either.

Will be my first 4wd vehicle. Tips ALWAYS APPRECIATED FROM THE KNOW GUYS.

If you gonna laught at me go ahead and get it outa your system to move on.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4gambler (Post 3359961)
Ok to leave parked in 4wd 4lo or 4hi?
Yes.

See above in bold. slprciv is correct--this is all in the owner's manual. You can download the 2020 manual here: https://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/docu...f/OM35B54U.pdf Skip to page 293.

SpeedyKevin 09-22-2019 03:55 PM

Dont worry about memorizing it^ its printed on the visor!

llDemonll 09-22-2019 04:23 PM

4Hi is not any speed. It's 55mph and under. But frankly you shouldn't be going that fast if you realize you need 4Hi. Shifting into and out of 4Hi is "on the fly" but I typically let off the gas when I'm going either way

4Lo is completely stopped and in neutral, then engage 4Lo, then back into drive once it engages

slanger91 09-22-2019 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LimeLED (Post 3359975)
See above in bold. slprciv is correct--this is all in the owner's manual. You can download the 2020 manual here: https://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/docu...f/OM35B54U.pdf Skip to page 293.

Big help, thank you!

Shmeado 09-22-2019 06:31 PM

Also worth noting that sometimes the gears won't be aligned when trying to get into 4lo, you can tell as the dash light blinks whilst beeping at you. You just need to roll forward and try it again.

All of this is explained on the back of the drivers sun visor (at least in a '13 Limited)

mo_mo 09-22-2019 08:37 PM

Flip down the drivers side sun visor for instructions. No need to find the manual.

71gs3504sp 09-22-2019 09:16 PM

I am not a believer in on the fly engagement unless it is totally necessary. I always stop, put in neutral, make your selection and see on the dash light 4x4 turns on then go. I been doing this on my 08 FJ and now with my 18 4runner.

Whippersnapper02 09-23-2019 09:36 AM

As mentioned before, it won't always go right i to low range from 2wd and sometimes it won't even shift into 4wd high from a stop. I always shift into 4wd high while driving forward then stop for low range.

Jetboy 09-23-2019 10:56 AM

I don't think the computer will let you screw it up. Someone can probably confirm, but I think if you're over 55, it won't shift into 4hi until your speed drops. I have a trail edition with the lever. I engage at any speed - I've done it at 70mph with no issues. Lots of times. There's an internal clutch that brings the rotating assembly up to speed. So when the dog clutch teeth engage internally they're already synchronized in speed before they engage. The same is true for the front axle disconnect.

The 4Lo - that one you need to be stopped for. And in neutral. I'm sure the electronics won't let you engage at speed. That would cause a catastrophic failure. But there's no way Toyota would setup the electronics to allow that to happen if you just moved the dial to the wrong spot.

Maingear 09-25-2019 12:08 AM

Correct, i switch in and out at high speeds when I drive in and out of rain and the computer makes the truck beep and flashing light when drivetrain request is denied. It was a fustrating process to get into low 4 until after 150,000 mi, finally broke in.

Also turning in parking lots or into driveways in 4hi the tires grab making the turn radius larger.

4gambler 09-25-2019 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jetboy (Post 3360343)
I don't think the computer will let you screw it up. Someone can probably confirm, but I think if you're over 55, it won't shift into 4hi until your speed drops. I have a trail edition with the lever. I engage at any speed - I've done it at 70mph with no issues. Lots of times. There's an internal clutch that brings the rotating assembly up to speed. So when the dog clutch teeth engage internally they're already synchronized in speed before they engage. The same is true for the front axle disconnect.

The 4Lo - that one you need to be stopped for. And in neutral. I'm sure the electronics won't let you engage at speed. That would cause a catastrophic failure. But there's no way Toyota would setup the electronics to allow that to happen if you just moved the dial to the wrong spot.

A little confused when u said axle disconnect. I know on the ford broncos one had to get out and rotate to lock.

The front axle disconnect is that an additional step BESIDES the rotational knob or the 4wd system and electronics take care of this.