Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Hood Scoop Glare - Different Option? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/278199-hood-scoop-glare-different-option.html)

thennen 10-02-2019 03:23 PM

Hood Scoop Glare - Different Option?

There's been a lot of talk about hood scoop laser beams burning folks' eyeballs. I have to dodge it myself from time to time. I'm wondering: has anyone tried placing a small rectangle of dark window tint in the right spot on the inside of the windshield to reduce that glare?

drewsro 10-02-2019 03:37 PM

You probably didn't think this through did ya? I don't think anyone is going to want a random dark tint square in the middle of their windshield.

I ordered a hood scoop decal from ebay that should be here soon. That's the easiest option.

ProfessorP 10-02-2019 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewsro (Post 3365527)
You probably didn't think this through did ya? I don't think anyone is going to want a random dark tint square in the middle of their windshield.

I ordered a hood scoop decal from ebay that should be here soon. That's the easiest option.

X2

The tint rectangle would probably have to be larger than expected to address all possible sun positions and angles that cause glare. I think a dark piece of tint on the windshield would almost be as annoying as the glare. Eliminate the source with matte vinyl and be done with it.

thennen 10-02-2019 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewsro (Post 3365527)

I did. As I sit looking out my windshield, I see the scoop, among other things. That’s all I’m interested in blocking, so it wouldn’t hinder visibility at least. If I don’t like it, I can peel it off. Not sure I want to stick something on the paint. No clue what it would do long-term.

llDemonll 10-02-2019 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thennen (Post 3365580)
Not sure I want to stick something on the paint. No clue what it would do long-term.

It won't do anything.

thennen 10-02-2019 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by llDemonll (Post 3365604)
It won't do anything.

You’re probably right. I may end up going that way eventually, though the glare only happens now and then. Just using my imagination.

bgault53 10-02-2019 06:39 PM

Scoop glare

1 Attachment(s)
We had it covered in matte black

blksubykid 10-02-2019 07:00 PM

Had mine wrapped by Beyond Wraps here in Socal. He also sells and ships pre-cut stamps

shop

Mutant138 10-02-2019 07:14 PM

Unless it's polarized which won't be legal it's going to do nothing. Even then it won't be enough. My sunglasses are as dark as you can get and polarized and it was still blinding.

Bedliner

Wrap

Non scooped hood (which you could trade for + cash no problem)

Or live with it. I couldn't. Went bedliner and gained a table out of it.

jhguth 10-02-2019 07:29 PM

the spot is going to move depending on your relative direction to the sun

catus 10-02-2019 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mutant138 (Post 3365641)

Went bedliner and gained a table out of it.

Mutant, what is this table of which you speak?

thennen 10-02-2019 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mutant138 (Post 3365641)
Unless it's polarized which won't be legal it's going to do nothing. Even then it won't be enough. My sunglasses are as dark as you can get and polarized and it was still blinding.

Bedliner

Wrap

Non scooped hood (which you could trade for + cash no problem)

Or live with it. I couldn't. Went bedliner and gained a table out of it.

That’s what I DON’T know. Probably not dark enough as you say.

slprciv 10-02-2019 08:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My fix to the hood glare:

GiGi's 1996 10-02-2019 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slprciv (Post 3365682)
My fix to the hood glare:

Where did you buy this and how much did it cost? TIA I am pretty confident I can install this myself. I just need to buy the decal. This one is the one I want, perfect size.

TRDTommy 10-03-2019 03:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I actually installed a hood scoop decal as well, before going on a recent trip to Arizona. And it helped out a lot from the glare.