Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   4th Gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Headgasket vs Intake Manifold leak (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/278233-headgasket-vs-intake-manifold-leak.html)

martinbril 10-03-2019 04:18 PM

Headgasket vs Intake Manifold leak

So after reading a bunch about both issues, it seems that some people think those two conditions have similar symptoms (as it would apparently involve getting coolant in the cylinders in both situations) while others say they are very different.
I am curious to hear from those who've had intake manifold leaks, what were the signs and how was it diagnosed, ruling out the HG.

I am wondering if most shops won't go straight to the HG since the repairs are more involved, meaning more $$$.

Mantilgh 10-03-2019 06:58 PM

I don’t believe either of mine are leaking (fingers crossed) but there should be some ways to differentiate them.

head gasket leak can show itself by bubbling in the reservoir, the intake manifold will not.

A head gasket leak can show lower compression, the intake manifold will not.

Exhaust gasses mixing with coolant shown by testing coolant, manifold will not.

I’m sure there are others but that’s what I could think of for now.

From the little time I’ve been on here it seems head gasket failure is more common but I could be wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

martinbril 10-03-2019 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mantilgh (Post 3366195)
I don’t believe either of mine are leaking (fingers crossed) but there should be some ways to differentiate them.

head gasket leak can show itself by bubbling in the reservoir, the intake manifold will not.

A head gasket leak can show lower compression, the intake manifold will not.

Exhaust gasses mixing with coolant shown by testing coolant, manifold will not.

I’m sure there are others but that’s what I could think of for now.

From the little time I’ve been on here it seems head gasket failure is more common but I could be wrong.

I'm tending towards HG for sure in my case.
I went through most of the sticky thread on HG issues and it seems that weeping is how it starts. Coolant leaks into the cylinder when cold and the gasket seals back up when hot, which would make most of those tests obsolete besides going in with a borescope.

Mantilgh 10-03-2019 07:46 PM

Yeah, that’s what was wondering with a very minor leak.

A compression test may not show much of a difference to catch and very little gases getting pushed into the coolant.

Mantilgh 10-03-2019 07:51 PM

Is a borescope going to see much if it’s that minor?

martinbril 10-03-2019 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mantilgh (Post 3366223)
Is a borescope going to see much if it’s that minor?

From what I've heard, you let it sit overnight.