Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   5th Gen Speaker Selection (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/278280-5th-gen-speaker-selection.html)

KP Texan 10-04-2019 01:40 PM

5th Gen Speaker Selection

I know this topic has been beaten to death, but I can't seem to find the necessary info following numerous Google and forum searches.

Why does Crutchfield claim that almost no 6.5" coaxials will fit in the rear doors of the 4Runner? I even called them to ask, and they said its because of speaker protrusion and interference with the door panel. They said the only option was to cut a round hole in my door panel! :frusty:

That being said, I know that cannot be the case based on the numerous speakers I see people have installed here without problems. Only issue is I can't find an install of the particular speaker I'm looking at.

I want Infinity Reference to match my fronts, so I was looking at these (buying from Amazon):

Standard: Infinity Reference REF-6522ix 6-1/2" 2-way car speakers at Crutchfield

Shallow: Infinity Reference REF-6522EX 6-1/2" 2-way car speakers at Crutchfield

I'd rather go with regular, but I'll do shallow if I need to. I also have no problem fabbing up some adapters, but no way I'd cut a hole in my door panel!

Thanks for the input!

keyser_soze 10-04-2019 04:07 PM

TacoTunes makes adapter plates for the rear doors. They make adapters for all the doors, and wiring adapters as well.

From what other have installed I don not think you need shallow mount speakers. If anything you might need to trim a little plastic on the inside of the door panel, but that shouldnt be a big deal.

You had another thread about upgrading your front speakers and head unit right?

I would consider what you want to do with your system. If you dont have rear passengers or need music coming from the cargo area I would consider leaving the rear speakers alone and invest in better front speakers/amp, then fade the sound to the front. 99% of music is recorded in 2 channel stereo, so there is no need to have lesser speakers putting out the same signal from behind you, it can mess with the sound and staging. I only have front components and I assure you that my rear passengers can hear them just fine. It also simplifies your amp setup and wiring.

KP Texan 10-04-2019 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keyser_soze (Post 3366758)
TacoTunes makes adapter plates for the rear doors. They make adapters for all the doors, and wiring adapters as well.

From what other have installed I don not think you need shallow mount speakers. If anything you might need to trim a little plastic on the inside of the door panel, but that shouldnt be a big deal.

You had another thread about upgrading your front speakers and head unit right?

I would consider what you want to do with your system. If you dont have rear passengers or need music coming from the cargo area I would consider leaving the rear speakers alone and invest in better front speakers/amp, then fade the sound to the front. 99% of music is recorded in 2 channel stereo, so there is no need to have lesser speakers putting out the same signal from behind you, it can mess with the sound and staging. I only have front components and I assure you that my rear passengers can hear them just fine. It also simplifies your amp setup and wiring.

Yep, I had another thread strictly about the 2-ohm speaker impedance across the front speaker set, but I've just solved that problem by buying a 4 channel amp rated for 2-ohms... not to mention it will be superior to headunit power anyway.

I've already bought the front set of speakers which are Infinity Reference 3.5" in the dash and Infinity Reference 6x9 in the front doors.

Although I plan on leaving the back hatch speakers stock, I decided that it might be good to replace the rear door speakers since they are still in the passenger area and also right behind my seat. That's where my dilemma is. Will either on of those Infinity 6.5" speakers work despite what Crutchfield says? I already plan on fabricating an adapter out of HDPE or something (have plenty of MDF, but I don't want to use that on a door due to moisture.

4Rums 10-04-2019 05:55 PM

I have the JBL GX602 (sister speakers, JBL and Infinity are from the same parent company) on the rear doors using these adapters from amazon. Based on the depth dimensions I could read (they are tiny and not zooming well in my phone), they should work. But compare yourself and look for the cut out size and tweeter protrusion required as well. Also have in mind that not all speaker adapters allow the same mounting depth or cutout diameter. So make sure when you get recommendations that you know which adapter is being used.

You can find my rear door speaker dimensions here: https://pdf.crutchfieldonline.com/Im...9/109GX962.PDF

Rear door adapters: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
*For $10 not sure if it is worth it to make your own. With some foam tape these don't rattle).

keyser_soze 10-04-2019 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KP Texan (Post 3366772)
Yep, I had another thread strictly about the 2-ohm speaker impedance across the front speaker set

Since you bought an amp it depends how you run your wiring. If you make a patch harness and reuse the factory wiring then yes, but if you run new wire you can wire the speakers yourself in whatever configuration you like.

Quote:

I've already bought the front set of speakers which are Infinity Reference 3.5" in the dash and Infinity Reference 6x9 in the front doors.

The stock speakers are garbage, any decent aftermarket speaker will be a nice upgrade. Infinity makes quality stuff, and their coaxial speakers sound great. But have you considered a component setup? They are typically better sounding than coaxial and they have better crossovers. With a coaxial in the door and the dash you will have 4 tweeters in the front. 2 of those will be by your leg which is not ideal IMO (reflecting off the windshield isnt ideal either but better than down low)

Quote:

Although I plan on leaving the back hatch speakers stock, I decided that it might be good to replace the rear door speakers since they are still in the passenger area and also right behind my seat. That's where my dilemma is. Will either on of those Infinity 6.5" speakers work despite what Crutchfield says? I already plan on fabricating an adapter out of HDPE or something (have plenty of MDF, but I don't want to use that on a door due to moisture.

If you are capable of fabricating your own adapters then making the speakers fit wont be an issue.

As for the hatch and rear door speakers you should not hear them over your front speakers. In a proper system they would be used as rear fill and the volume would be faded forward. A passengers might hear them over your front speakers, but not you. Even for a passenger the front speakers are only about 5ft from their ears, they will just sound a few decibels quieter than they do to you.

Either way you go you will have a large improvement over stock.

Narat_524 10-04-2019 08:32 PM

Yes, 6.5" will fit with the top mount speaker adapter ring. I put 5 1/4" for mid range, but considered the speakers you listed.

You will probably need to remove the baffle ring on the door panel. I just used a set of end-cutting pliers to remove mine and then used a foam ring to take up any clearance between the panel and speaker.

Narat

KP Texan 10-05-2019 12:51 AM

Thank you for the replies everyone! This is all incredibly helpful. The GX602 is pretty near identical and the basket design even looks the same.

Superjet 10-05-2019 11:33 AM

Front door
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/metra-t...?skuId=5228067

rear
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/metra-m...&skuId=5228145

or expensive option
Focal IS 690TOY 6"x9" component speaker system designed to fit select Toyotas at Crutchfield

Focal IS 690TOY 6"x9" component speaker system designed to fit select Toyotas at Crutchfield

85GT-79FJ40 10-05-2019 04:28 PM

In my 2011 I did the reference series 6x9 component setup in the front and bought 2 pairs of 6.5" 6522ix reference speakers for the rear doors and hatch. I just used regular generic I think metra install adapters. No door panel trimming required. along with a small powered sub and party mode all the time mod it sounds pretty good.

nglayton 10-05-2019 09:21 PM

5TH GEN 4RUNNER SPEAKER ONLY UPGRADE FROM OEM AUDIO PLUS

CMTAZ 10-05-2019 09:40 PM

FWIW

The new speakers are in

it's been almost 1 year, and i'm still impressed with the powerbass drop ins and the 5 channel pioneer amp...:reddance: