Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Upgraded from Gen 4 to Gen 5, what do you miss? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/278365-upgraded-gen-4-gen-5-what-do-you-miss.html)

zonzin 10-07-2019 12:01 PM

Upgraded from Gen 4 to Gen 5, what do you miss?

We still have our gen 4 and I am very happy with the Gen 5 however, there are a few things I miss in the Gen 5 that were in the Gen 4.

I miss the super tight turning radius of the gen 4
I miss the power rear liftgate in the Gen 4
I miss the "click to start" of the Gen 4
I miss the remote oil filter in the Gen 4
I miss the user programmable options in the Gen 4 such as seatbelt tone.

Did I miss anything else?

What I don't miss or what I like in Gen 5 would be a whole different thread.

aelarson 10-07-2019 12:07 PM

Soft close tailgate, locking gas door, and the goofy climate control knobs that I grew to love!

KP Texan 10-07-2019 12:25 PM

By far, the largest thing I miss is the spin-on oil filter on top of the engine. Much easier than the cartridge in the 5th gen.

I also liked the throttle calibration on the 4th gen better. It may not have been peppier, but it sure felt like it.

JPL 10-07-2019 12:33 PM

Rear cargo storage area compartment doors.......

deadbeat son 10-07-2019 01:13 PM

I miss the multi-mode transfer case in the V6 4th gen. I loved having the ability to use 4H with the center differential unlocked.

5thToy 10-07-2019 01:19 PM

4.7 l v8

GupsT4R 10-07-2019 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadbeat son (Post 3367854)
I miss the multi-mode transfer case in the V6 4th gen. I loved having the ability to use 4H with the center differential unlocked.

Biggest reason why i still have my 4th gen!!

97BlackAckCL 10-07-2019 01:46 PM

All of the things listed, the release click start ignition, the locking gas door, the 6 disc CD changer in dash, definitely the oil filter on top of the engine, the power soft close liftgate

But the biggest for me, is the freaking button on the remote to roll down the rear window!!!!!!

I had an 03 and an 08 and was so used to that feature I was really pissed that they did away with that in the 5th gen (every model except the limited)

So many times I would be carrying a bag of dog food or groceries and hit the remote for the window to drop down. Never had to fumble with the keys and open the stupid hatch. Definitely miss that feature!

TEPUI 10-07-2019 03:04 PM

Miss everything mentioned above. Did anyone mention the sturdy feeling doors? The 4th gen doors have that a European car -heavy, good quality- feeling to them.

That said, I love my 2014 5th gen.

PS: Carpet on the 4th gen seems to be of better quality as well.

badattitude 10-07-2019 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GupsT4R (Post 3367867)
Biggest reason why i still have my 4th gen!!

This forced me into a 5th Limited. I must have AWD (not 4wd) for winter roads.
You guys already hit the main items. I also liked the larger side mirrors, the center speaker on the 4th gen limited, the nicer center console (garbage bag holder and flat fold out work space. I liked the hidden compartment in the glove box. The fourth gens had a fancier engine cover with chrome accents. I miss the matching VIN stickers on every body panel. I liked the completely flat cargo area with rear seats down. The double decker cargo shelf is gone.

97BlackAckCL 10-07-2019 03:15 PM

Forgot about the center channel speaker, I had a 3.5" speaker in the dash it was badass

FZRunner 10-07-2019 06:20 PM

I've been looking at a 5th gen, and this thread makes me stop and....ah come on. Why? I was so close! I love the 4wd system on my '08. Any time, any where, for any reason, plus all the other stuff mentioned. But, I'm going through a major medical thing, and this may be my last chance to do something crazy and fun, so....

xravexboix 10-07-2019 08:21 PM

Going from a 2007 SR5 Sport Edition 4x2 to a 2015 Limited 4x4:

I wish we still had the hatch-glass roll-down button on the remote.

The funky climate control switches from the 4th are missed as well-- but the auto-climate in the 5th Gen Limited is fine.

The power 'trunk closer' was something I grew to love (after originally hating it).

Otherwise, 5th gen is epic.

zonzin 10-07-2019 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FZRunner (Post 3368033)
I've been looking at a 5th gen, and this thread makes me stop and....ah come on. Why? I was so close! I love the 4wd system on my '08. Any time, any where, for any reason, plus all the other stuff mentioned. But, I'm going through a major medical thing, and this may be my last chance to do something crazy and fun, so....

Well this will segway right into what I like in the Gen 5 over the Gen 4.

I like the increase in cabin space of the Gen 5, especially the leg room and head room
I like the better comfort of the drivers seat in the Gen 5
I like the updated lines and look of the 5th gen
I like the instrument cluster lighting color better in the Gen 5
I like the increase in HP of the gen 5
I really like the Gen 5 Crawl Control, it's awesome
I like the manual 4x shift lever of the Gen 5
I like the wiper speed control in the Gen 5, forward fast, back slow, as it should be

williamlv282 10-07-2019 10:27 PM

Never owned a 4th gen but I find myself admiring them quite often. They have a lot of awesome features and a unique look. I think my next 4runner will be a 4th gen. I had a 3rd gen for a while which was nice but it had almost every feature that my 5th gen has which is kind of sad to think about. They haven't added a ton over the years and what they did add to the 4th gen, they removed in the 5th..