Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Emergency Brake Light comes on when accelerating (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/278478-emergency-brake-light-comes-when-accelerating.html)

feelingstoned 10-10-2019 02:07 PM

Emergency Brake Light comes on when accelerating

My E-Brake light comes on when i accelerate and sometimes when i stop. Its been doing it every day but it only seems to be doing it when the car is cold. When it warms up the light stops. It was there before i did brakes (did all 4 corners) and after. The fluid is topped off. I can also hear a rattle coming from the handle when i'm at high way speeds. Anyone know a solution? the only thing i found on here was that it needs more fluid but its on max already.

TheDurk 10-10-2019 03:18 PM

Maybe the float on your switch is stuck or has leaked. The switch may be effed up. Or there is is a wiring issue. I'd unplug the switch and bridge the connection. If the problem goes away, it's a switch issue. Test each component. If it doesn't, it's a wiring issue, possibly in the e-brake switch or associated wiring. Use the same procedure. The rattle may have something to do with this. So maybe you want to go here first.

If all that is ruled out, get an FSM and test your brake booster.

Or get some guesses and swap parts.

thennen 10-10-2019 03:22 PM

Is the e-brake light on the dash the same as the regular brake light?

TheDurk 10-10-2019 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thennen (Post 3369641)
Is the e-brake light on the dash the same as the regular brake light?

Yes, one light, for e-brake, fluid, and booster fail.

feelingstoned 10-10-2019 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDurk (Post 3369639)
Maybe the float on your switch is stuck or has leaked. The switch may be effed up. Or there is is a wiring issue. I'd unplug the switch and bridge the connection. If the problem goes away, it's a switch issue. Test each component. If it doesn't, it's a wiring issue, possibly in the e-brake switch or associated wiring. Use the same procedure. The rattle may have something to do with this. So maybe you want to go here first.

If all that is ruled out, get an FSM and test your brake booster.

Or get some guesses and swap parts.

Ok thanks i'll start there and see if i come up with anything. I have a feeling its a wiring issue

calimobber 10-10-2019 05:59 PM

Check the E-Brake handle. Does it change when you pull the E-Brake up and down?

Ive had the light act up and it was the E-Brake hande. Other time it was low fluid. The light came on when I gassed it or drove up steep hills when the fluid shifted and tripped the low fluid lght.

Turns out i failed to tighten one bleeder enough and it was slowly leaking.

thennen 10-10-2019 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDurk (Post 3369646)
Yes, one light, for e-brake, fluid, and booster fail.

So how do we know it's related to the e-brake?

TheDurk 10-10-2019 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thennen (Post 3369777)
So how do we know it's related to the e-brake?

You don't. You eliminate each of the three possibilities in turn. It's called troubleshooting.

thennen 10-11-2019 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDurk (Post 3369793)
You don't. You eliminate each of the three possibilities in turn. It's called troubleshooting.

No need to be a smartass.

96RedRunner 10-11-2019 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thennen (Post 3370014)

Lol, come on man being a bit sensitive today. @TheDurk has never let silly questions slide on the obvious.

brillo_76 10-11-2019 01:56 PM

Everyone has good days and bad days. I thought it was funny. You cant take life too seriously, you never get out of here alive. :D.

Troubleshooting sometimes takes time and multiple steps. When it really gets interesting, is when the parts tests good but are still bad. We have lots of threads on here that users have had that happen too as well. Those are the head scratchers.

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

thennen 10-11-2019 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 96RedRunner (Post 3370052)
Lol, come on man being a bit sensitive today. @TheDurk has never let silly questions slide on the obvious.

Not sensitive at all.

gamefreakgc 10-11-2019 03:14 PM

My money's on the e-brake handle. I had mine do that once, it was one click off but wouldn't release all the way down so all I had to do was set the e-brake again then bring the handle down and push it to the resting position.

TheDurk 10-11-2019 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thennen (Post 3370014)

Try Pirate4x4.Com - The largest off roading website in the world.I'm sure you will find them more accommodating.

The response was appropriate to the question.

thennen 10-11-2019 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDurk (Post 3370302)
Try Pirate4x4.Com - The largest off roading website in the world.I'm sure you will find them more accommodating.

The response was appropriate to the question.

Don’t be upset, man.