Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Phone Issues - IPhone update? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/278496-phone-issues-iphone-update.html)

WEAK_E90 10-10-2019 09:24 PM

Phone Issues - IPhone update?

Anyone having issues staying connected on calls after the newest iPhone update?

I updated my phone Sunday night, now when ever I call someone using the hands free I stay connected for about 3-4 mins then the toyota system freezes for a couple of seconds, says call ended and then completely resets... wait for the Toyota logo to come back up, everything.

Makes calls just fine everything like it used to but won’t allow me to talk more than a couple of minutes...

Any suggestions? I’m blaming the iPhone update as it wasn’t doing this last week before the update.

Bugser 10-10-2019 09:54 PM

I have not updated the iPhone software from 12.4.1 to 13.1.2 but for about the last 2 weeks, I am dropping Bluetooth connectivity on phone calls after 3-4 minutes and the HU says “call ended”. However the phone is still connected to the other party and the call can be continued by lifting phone to your ear. The only way to reconnect Bluetooth is to restart the truck.

There have been other threads regarding this same issue but have not paid attention to them because I was fine until now. Not sure what is going on here.

Let us know what you find out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WEAK_E90 10-11-2019 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugser (Post 3369844)
I have not updated the iPhone software from 12.4.1 to 13.1.2 but for about the last 2 weeks, I am dropping Bluetooth connectivity on phone calls after 3-4 minutes and the HU says “call ended”. However the phone is still connected to the other party and the call can be continued by lifting phone to your ear. The only way to reconnect Bluetooth is to restart the truck.

There have been other threads regarding this same issue but have not paid attention to them because I was fine until now. Not sure what is going on here.

Yep this is pretty much exactly what happens. Except my head unit just resets itself automatically...

Ill see if I can dig up these threads you speak of today

meder24 10-11-2019 08:23 AM

Try deleting the BT connection between your phone and HU on both the phone and HU. Make sure you delete/forget both sources on each device and not just disconnect BT.
Once you pair the devices again, see if this makes a difference.

WEAK_E90 10-11-2019 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meder24 (Post 3369962)
Try deleting the BT connection between your phone and HU on both the phone and HU. Make sure you delete/forget both sources on each device and not just disconnect BT.

did this last night - didnt test it out yet.

Also found the thread about updating the head unit. Will try this too at some point today.

Bugser 10-11-2019 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meder24 (Post 3369962)

Actually never thought of that.....might work, I'll try it and report back. See that you are close by, I'm from the Gibsonia area.

meder24 10-11-2019 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugser (Post 3370048)
Actually never thought of that.....might work, I'll try it and report back. See that you are close by, I'm from the Gibsonia area.

I am in the Zelienople area. Small world!

trd19orp 10-12-2019 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugser (Post 3369844)

This is the exact issue I had/have. I went with a new iPhone (which had iOS 13), but also deleted all the Entune stuff at the same time, so wasn't sure where the problem lay. The iPhone X I had originally was rock solid.

I've done all the minor updates, and continue to have the problem. I've reset the head unit numerous times, used the secret menu to delete all info, un-paired/re-paired a billion times, etc. in all combinations. The last thing I did out of desperation was to reinstall Entune on my phone and set that back up. I've only made one short call since then, but it stayed connected the whole time. Will try to give it a longer test this weekend.

The other thing that happened as part of this is the system in general seemed to get less responsive. i.e., when calls came in, sometimes the touch screen wouldn't let me pick it up. Or sometimes the steering wheel controls wouldn't let me, or wouldn't let me disconnect (or there'd be a super-long lag). Unsure what the connection there is, but again this didn't happen until the new phone and iOS.

Frustrating to say the least...

Axix23 10-12-2019 09:38 PM

i just got the new iphone 11 pro and can't connect to my blue tooth either. its not even finding it on my cell phone. try to reset and etc.

SoCalRunner 10-15-2019 10:57 AM

New iPhone11 issues

*** FIXED******
Im having the same issue but it starts when i connect BT and entune after starting the truck. The HU keeps resetting after 30 seconds. I have to turn off BT to listen to the radio. I killed all the connections and started over as recommended but that did not help.

*** RESOLUTION ***

Turns out i had a bad iPhone 11. It was glitchy in other areas besides Bluetooth. I went in to a sprint office and the rep said the phone was bad and the antenna specifically was bad. New phone is much faster and responsive. Better call reception, apps launch faster and my Bluetooth connection to the 4R doesn't drop anymore.

6thFairway 10-15-2019 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCalRunner (Post 3371923)
Im having the same issue but it starts when i connect BT and entune after starting the truck. The HU keeps resetting after 30 seconds. I have to turn off BT to listen to the radio. I killed all the connections and started over as recommended but that did not help.

I just went to the dealer for this, repeated reboots after 60 seconds if I have bluetooth enabled. They did a system reset and checked to make sure the previous system flash upgrade they did over the summer was still the latest version.

Then they said the radio needs to be replaced. $870 estimate plus taxes. I left without replacing the radio and I'll be looking at aftermarket options I guess.

I'm out of warranty- 82k. 2016 TE

xdiep23 10-15-2019 10:08 PM

FYI for those with Bluetooth issues since upgrading to iOS 13 and or purchased an iPhone 11/Pro which comes with iOS 13. Apple has released iOS 13.1.3 today and one of the fixes they addressed was with Bluetooth disconnecting on certain vehicles.

I’ve updated mine and although did not have a long period of time to test, it did not disconnect for me during phone calls this afternoon.

SoCalRunner 10-16-2019 10:36 AM

Didn't work for me

Quote:

Originally Posted by xdiep23 (Post 3372405)
FYI for those with Bluetooth issues since upgrading to iOS 13 and or purchased an iPhone 11/Pro which comes with iOS 13. Apple has released iOS 13.1.3 today and one of the fixes they addressed was with Bluetooth disconnecting on certain vehicles.

I’ve updated mine and although did not have a long period of time to test, it did not disconnect for me during phone calls this afternoon.

Thanks for the tip. I grabbed the update last night and tried it out. Unfortunately i did not fix the issue. I deleted all the old pairings and redid them, then restarted both and still no luck. I did have some brief success and was able to listen to a 3 min song but when i started to add my contacts, it disconnected again.

i have no doubt this issue will be resolved with more updates. No need to run out and get a new stereo (unless you're looking for an excuse).

DBGW5 10-16-2019 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCalRunner (Post 3372630)
Thanks for the tip. I grabbed the update last night and tried it out. Unfortunately i did not fix the issue. I deleted all the old pairings and redid them, then restarted both and still no luck. I did have some brief success and was able to listen to a 3 min song but when i started to add my contacts, it disconnected again.

i have no doubt this issue will be resolved with more updates. No need to run out and get a new stereo (unless you're looking for an excuse).

I too update to the newest release yesterday 13.1.3. I drove around for about an hour and my HU never shutdown. Where as before it would shutdown every 5-10 min!!

ant the ninja 10-16-2019 10:42 AM

Running into similar issues.

My main problem is with Carplay. I have a 2020 4Runner and carplay becomes completely unusable when taking a call. The entire system freezes up and the call becomes choppy and staticky and neither person can hear each other. This is ONLY happening on my iPhone 11 Pro on iOS 13. I have no issues with carplay and using my workphone which is an iPhone 7 Plus and absolutely no issues with carplay on my 11 Pro in any of my other cars.

I am urging people to write to apple and toyota to get this fixed, I dont know who need to fix it but if no one brings it to their attention, they wont know.