Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   5th Gen Oil Recommendation? New Owner! (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/278556-5th-gen-oil-recommendation-new-owner.html)

Hammer0313 10-13-2019 12:26 PM

5th Gen Oil Recommendation? New Owner!

Hello everyone new 2019 TRD Owner; i’ve been surfing around the site the last few days but didn’t see a really good engine oil Thread. I’m new to Toyotas and know nothing about them other than being a reliable Rig. If you could tell me what oil you use, how many miles on your oil change, What oil weight you recommend and how you use your rig? In addition to the oil I’m interested in the oil filters options out there, i’ve never use an oil filter like this before but would like to use a full synthetic spun micro glass oil filter if possible. If you could share your experiences and recommendations I’d be grateful.
I’m really enjoying the site and really enjoying my new 4-Runner. Cheers:girl:

CavPro 10-13-2019 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammer0313 (Post 3370766)
i’ve been surfing around the site the last few days but didn’t see a really good engine oil Thread.

That's because they are like unicorns.

You haven't looked good enough.

Redsoxx1918 10-13-2019 01:02 PM

No need to research. Stick to Toyota oil and filter at the Toyota recommended weight, at the Toyota recommended interval. If you’re looking for advice from random people on a forum, make sure you get their qualifications and find out why they are more knowledgeable than Toyota engineers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flyrv9 10-13-2019 02:17 PM

There is a thread by Antman in the mods, writeups sticky that has all you need to know about changing oil including part #s of filter etc. Basically OW20 synthetic and OEM filter cartridge is recommended. Filter cartridges and the housing removal tool are available on Amazon. Interval is in the owners manual . Some members are using a shorter interval if they drive in harsh conditions.

Also, some members report broken skid plate bolts when oil change was done by the dealer. Solution is to remove plate ahead of time and using anti-seize on the bolts before installing. I'm using Mobile1 OW20 FWIW.

Lester Lugnut 10-13-2019 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammer0313 (Post 3370766)
Hello everyone new 2019 TRD Owner; i’ve been surfing around the site the last few days but didn’t see a really good engine oil Thread.

You obviously spent little or no time looking.

mrblah 10-13-2019 05:19 PM

can't go wrong with oem toyota and mobile 1

TEujunga 10-13-2019 05:50 PM

Toyota engineers don't know what they're doing. I know what's best for my truck. Thicker is always better, so I use 90W gear lube in the engine, axle grease in the transfer case and diffs, and roofing tar in the slip yokes and U-joints. Booyah. /s

2016 4Runner SR5 10-13-2019 05:57 PM

Bought mine brand new. First oil change at 2K, 2nd oil change at 5k, every 5k after that. I have used Mobil 1, Valvoline, and Toyota 0-20 always using OEM filters. Engine runs smoothest and quietest with Toyota oil so that is what I will be sticking with.

GripT4R 10-13-2019 05:57 PM

It really does not matter, its a 4x4 minivan for men with a v6. Put whatever you like or whatever you can afford. Its not a high performance engine.

As long as there is oil in it, it will be fine.

sandcrawler 10-13-2019 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Owner’s Manual (Post 1536957)
It’s almost like you didn’t bother to read me...

:rtfm:

Charlievee 10-13-2019 06:23 PM

Everyone knows that if you don't use certified toyota, certified oil, your truck will explode.

83Mule 10-13-2019 06:47 PM

Oil attracts dirt.......you don't want dirt IN your engine. Water cleans dirt, and only comes in one Grade so you are good.

Hammer0313 10-13-2019 07:48 PM

Thanks for all the positive posts, I really appreciate it. Still learning how to use this forum. Coming from HD trucks the Toyota is all new to me, so Learning a new rig is exciting, but takes time.

Hammer0313 10-13-2019 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2016 4Runner SR5 (Post 3370855)
Bought mine brand new. First oil change at 2K, 2nd oil change at 5k, every 5k after that. I have used Mobil 1, Valvoline, and Toyota 0-20 always using OEM filters. Engine runs smoothest and quietest with Toyota oil so that is what I will be sticking with.

Is this the Toyota oil you use? Genuine Toyota Synthetic SAE 0W-20 API SN

If it is, it looks amazing on paper, look at that Moly. Check out molybdenum basics: Moly Basics

2016 4Runner SR5 10-13-2019 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammer0313 (Post 3370898)
Is this the Toyota oil you use? Genuine Toyota Synthetic SAE 0W-20 API SN

If it is, it looks amazing on paper, look at that Moly. Check out molybdenum basics: Moly Basics

Yes and that's why it runs so much quieter and smoother. These engines need the Moly for whatever reason. Compare Toyota oil to Mobil 1 or Valvoline, Toyota is far superior. Toyota oil is actually made by Mobil but to Toyota spec. Nothing off the shelf has the same packages as the Toyota oil does. IMO Mobil 1 is living off past reputation, kinda like Fram filters. It's not what it used to be.