Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   4th Gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Power steering problems... (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/278572-power-steering-problems.html)

dvto2 10-13-2019 08:18 PM

Power steering problems...

2005 4runner sport v6. 260 K. The truck was maintener by the dealer for the first 100 K and then I took over. One thing I never got to was ther power steering fluid. Last week the steering got stiff and a little jerky. I changed the fluid by sucking it out, exchanging a little at a time, until it looked clean, at least much cleaner. I exchanged almost a quart. However, the steering isn't much better. Do I need to exchange another quart, or should I be checking other things.

AuSeeker 10-13-2019 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvto2 (Post 3370909)
2005 4runner sport v6. 260 K. The truck was maintener by the dealer for the first 100 K and then I took over. One thing I never got to was ther power steering fluid. Last week the steering got stiff and a little jerky. I changed the fluid by sucking it out, exchanging a little at a time, until it looked clean, at least much cleaner. I exchanged almost a quart. However, the steering isn't much better. Do I need to exchange another quart, or should I be checking other things.

Since you live in a snow/rust state check the universal joint on the steering shaft, spray some penetrating lubricate on it and see if the issue improves, if it does that steering shaft portion with the universal joint needs to be replaced.

It's a common issue in rust areas after as many miles as you have on your's.

dvto2 10-14-2019 12:51 PM

So, when you say u joint on the steering column, do you mean at the top of the power steering rack or someplace else ? How do you know if it's the u joint as opposed to some other part of the rack?

A picture of where you mean would be nice.

rdruss 10-14-2019 01:43 PM

It's just above the steering gearbox, you'll see a 2-bolt coupling, a ribbed shaft coming down from it and the u-joint is toward end of that shaft. Probably can't see the u-joint, either get underneath or pull d/s front wheel.
I had the problem of stiff steering and that was it, changed shaft and nice smooth steering again.
Do service your P/s fluid though.

firebirdguy 10-14-2019 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvto2 (Post 3370909)

what p/s fluid are you using for the exchange? 4th gen 4runners call for dex2/3. not universal power steering fluid.

dvto2 10-14-2019 06:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Valvoline Max Life Full Synthetic ATF

MikeinNH67 10-14-2019 09:40 PM

+1 for that shaft u-joint. It's not easy to see especially from above. I was able to lube mine up enough to free it but it still needs to be replaced at some point soon.

hinmo24t 10-15-2019 11:25 AM

what they said ^

i did this. lubed it and it smoothed it out but only for a month and by then i had all the parts to replace. works as good as new now.

dvto2 10-16-2019 03:57 PM

I finally got underneath the car and looked at the lower shaft u joint. It looks worn but not obviously broken. I sprayed some lubricant on it and the steering became smooth again. If it stiffens up again, I'll know what needs repair. Thanks all.

AuSeeker 10-16-2019 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvto2 (Post 3372819)
I finally got underneath the car and looked at the lower shaft u joint. It looks worn but not obviously broken. I sprayed some lubricant on it and the steering became smooth again. If it stiffens up again, I'll know what needs repair. Thanks all.

I have never heard of the U joint breaking, just being worn out/corroded/rusted and thusly needing to be replaced.

Just an FYI, no one I know of solved the issue just with a little lubricant, that's just a temporary quick test to know it's the issue.

If I were in your shoes I would go ahead and order a new shaft.

hinmo24t 10-17-2019 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AuSeeker (Post 3372951)
I have never heard of the U joint breaking, just being worn out/corroded/rusted and thusly needing to be replaced.

Just an FYI, no one I know of solved the issue just with a little lubricant, that's just a temporary quick test to know it's the issue.

If I were in your shoes I would go ahead and order a new shaft.

wouldnt want that to let go on an offramp or something, i suggest replacing it too

That_Titanium_4RNR 10-17-2019 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvto2 (Post 3372819)

Great game plan....NOT...if the lube made the steering smooth again then obviously you have a bad steering shaft joint. Lube wasn't meant to fix the issue, only to see if it changed your condition. And your condition changed....So replace that thing!

dvto2 10-21-2019 09:29 AM

Point taken. Ordered the parts. Thanks again.

White04SR5 11-05-2019 10:14 PM

2004 4runner steering wheel shake

Can y'all help me figure out why my steering wheel shakes like this?
here is a you tube video that will show what is going on...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IidS...ature=youtu.be

I know that this isn't the right way to go about getting help on a forum and that i should post my own thread for my own problem but when i tried to post my own thread for this it said that i couldn't because i haven't replied to enough threads yet....? why is that even a rule? Why should i have to reply to something someone else posted just so i can be granted access to post my own questions.... i swear some forums have so many rules its ridiculous...

Anyway. Any advice or help would be much appreciated. I didn't know where else i could post this question so just decided to find the most recent thread on a 4th gen steering problem...

AuSeeker 11-06-2019 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by White04SR5 (Post 3384092)
Can y'all help me figure out why my steering wheel shakes like this?
here is a you tube video that will show what is going on...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IidS...ature=youtu.be

I know that this isn't the right way to go about getting help on a forum and that i should post my own thread for my own problem but when i tried to post my own thread for this it said that i couldn't because i haven't replied to enough threads yet....? why is that even a rule? Why should i have to reply to something someone else posted just so i can be granted access to post my own questions.... i swear some forums have so many rules its ridiculous...

Anyway. Any advice or help would be much appreciated. I didn't know where else i could post this question so just decided to find the most recent thread on a 4th gen steering problem...

The rule is to discourage Spammers.