Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Power window oddity? Why? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/278725-power-window-oddity-why.html)

Ripper238 10-17-2019 11:30 AM

Power window oddity? Why?

Noticed this the other day. When i am in my 4R and use the power window auto down/up and slam the door mid power up/down it stops? Its fine if i don't slam the door but if i close it harder it does this?

Not a big deal but strange since it seems Japanese manufacturers seem to do things for a reason and i cant see a reason for it to do this?

Does your 4R do this?

CavPro 10-17-2019 11:33 AM

Maybe because it's assuming the slamming door might be a body part blocking the window travel?

spartacus 10-17-2019 11:48 AM

My 6 yr old tends to do this but I always assumed he forgot to close the window even though he insisted that he pulled the window up button. Now I feel bad for blaming him.

Heavy_GD 10-17-2019 12:14 PM

the only value in this thread is that spartacus will now save money on his kids therapy sessions. haha

Jetboy 10-17-2019 12:20 PM

Window senses more resistance. It stops. The alternative is you end up with something like Tesla's ****up: Tesla blames child for getting her finger crushed in Model X door - Business Insider

Tesla's proving to essentially demonstrate what amateur hour looks like in auto manufacturing. Your window is doing exactly what it should be doing.

The_Green_Wang 10-17-2019 12:56 PM

Auto stop feature due to pressure. If it senses anything it will stop. Put your hand and close the window on it. It will stop.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

the_fornicator 10-17-2019 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Green_Wang (Post 3373355)
Auto stop feature due to pressure. If it senses anything it will stop. Put your hand and close the window on it. It will stop.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Someone do this and film it.

Ripper238 10-17-2019 02:14 PM

Thanks guys, seemed odd but i guess explainable.

Though I didn't notice it do this when i put my in channel visors when it had pressure sliding up.

My other cars had this safety function, but not activated by slamming the door?

spartacus 10-17-2019 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heavy_GD (Post 3373317)
the only value in this thread is that spartacus will now save money on his kids therapy sessions. haha

:peace: He has been wanting TaoTao 1100cc go cart and Santa just approved it. I think that would be good therapy for him and me both.

ElectroBoy 10-17-2019 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ripper238 (Post 3373276)
Noticed this the other day. When i am in my 4R and use the power window auto down/up and slam the door mid power up/down it stops? Its fine if i don't slam the door but if i close it harder it does this?

Not a big deal but strange since it seems Japanese manufacturers seem to do things for a reason and i cant see a reason for it to do this?

Does your 4R do this?

It’s probably a result of the window control safety system. If a window is down, you hit the window control to auto raise it, then halfway up tap the window top firmly with your hand, it will reverse. Kind of an anti-decapitation feature.

johnbt 10-17-2019 03:20 PM

It has never occurred to me to close a car door while the window was moving. Probably because I remember back in the dark ages when it was a miracle that a power window worked at all and you didn't want to stress them in any way. They always seemed to get stuck in the open position or fall off the track or something.

Ripper238 10-17-2019 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElectroBoy (Post 3373431)
It’s probably a result of the window control safety system. If a window is down, you hit the window control to auto raise it, then halfway up tap the window top firmly with your hand, it will reverse. Kind of an anti-decapitation feature.

Well I tapped the window firmly from the side and on the top and it kept going up so I don't know what's up with that. Lol

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk