Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   General Discussions (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/general-discussions/)
-   -   Decisions, Decisions (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/general-discussions/278757-decisions-decisions.html)

Maxil 10-17-2019 10:02 PM

Decisions, Decisions

I am hoping to get a few opinions from you guys.
I have a 98' and honestly love it! However, things have changed a bit in my life and I may be forced to make a change.

I have started doing much longer drives, and need the extra space that the 4runner has, my other car being a prius. I am getting older, and due to a little back issue, I really need something more comfortable with a smoother ride, and preferably a quieter one.

I considered a 4th gen, as I hear it has a more car like smooth ride and quieter cabin. I also test drove one and I really liked it. However, I also realize that the Lexus GX470 is very similar to the 4th gen, but more comfortable and quieter cabin.

I love my 98' for its toughness and I just like driving it on shorter trips. The ridiculous amount of preventative maintenance I have done to it, and some special mods make this a really hard decision. I know I could get another suv that is more comfortable, but I don't plan to leave the toyota family, I just love my 4runner too much and won't do it.

My question is, is there any big downsides to going with a Gx470 over the V6 4runner? I see the MPG may be a tad worse, but not a ton. The drive characteristics may also be a bit worse as it sits higher? Anything else to take into consideration?

I greatly appreciate and Value your input.

Dillusion 10-17-2019 10:22 PM

GX470 and keep the 4R.

jrm 10-20-2019 12:49 PM

Have you considered a 5th gen? like a trail....

Ausumm 10-21-2019 03:50 PM

A "little" back issue...
never stays "little".

I imagine you already know what you MUST do.
But as T4R lovers,
we totally understand your need to vent about it.

We are hear to listen...
and comfort you in your time of need...

(and possibly get a deal on it...if you DO decide to sell it...)

jbtvt 10-21-2019 05:06 PM

Biggest downside IMO, and maybe yours as well since you mention needing the space, is that the rear seats fold up behind the front seats, not flat like on a 4Runner. I removed the seat behind driver on mine. 3rd row seats take up a bunch of space also but they come out easily. I also prefer the 4Runner rear gate lifting to the GX470 swinging out. I'm happy with the GX over my previous 4th gen T4R though.

Maxil 10-25-2019 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillusion (Post 3373696)
GX470 and keep the 4R.

That may just happen :)

Maxil 10-25-2019 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrm (Post 3374892)
Have you considered a 5th gen? like a trail....

Those are nice, but I just can't afford a decent 5th Gen.

Maxil 10-25-2019 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ausumm (Post 3375476)
A "little" back issue...
never stays "little".

I imagine you already know what you MUST do.
But as T4R lovers,
we totally understand your need to vent about it.

We are hear to listen...
and comfort you in your time of need...

(and possibly get a deal on it...if you DO decide to sell it...)

Yes, I pretty much forced myself to get a GX470. I got a good deal on it but it needs a little work. Some old hoses and a few little things that need to be done before I can trust it like my 4runner.

I drove it about three hours home and I must say I do like it, very good riding. What I will say in comparison, It feels massive compared to the 3rd gen. What was amazing was going down a washboard road after 4 inches of rain, I couldn't believe how smooth it was! My 4runner is just so much easier if you are city driving and such, much lighter on its feet. For going down a nasty small trail, I would take the 4runner. For going through harsh terrain with horrific bumps, or just want a cushy ride, the GX wins.

My 4runner is for sale, I posted it in the correct forum. A guy wanted it but he picked up one with a lift before looking at mine. I was glad he didn't because I needed to drive it on a trip anyway :)

Maxil 10-25-2019 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbtvt (Post 3375525)
Biggest downside IMO, and maybe yours as well since you mention needing the space, is that the rear seats fold up behind the front seats, not flat like on a 4Runner. I removed the seat behind driver on mine. 3rd row seats take up a bunch of space also but they come out easily. I also prefer the 4Runner rear gate lifting to the GX470 swinging out. I'm happy with the GX over my previous 4th gen T4R though.

Yeah I admit I do like the flat folding seats. However, I mostly load computers, laptops and bulky all in ones, and I often find myself preferring the seat to put them on anyway. It just may be that for me, having the extra seats might be the best way I could have gone anyway.

Googy 11-08-2019 01:42 PM

Extra space.............you mean extra seat or extra room for stuff?

Maybe consider Nissan AMADA or Infinity QX80? If you are looking for more comfortable seat, you should give Nissan a try.

Chinaski420 11-12-2019 10:45 PM

If you have a good 3rd gen I'd just keep it.

Cranberry 11-12-2019 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxil (Post 3378095)
Those are nice, but I just can't afford a decent 5th Gen.

get a loan!!!! a half decent 5th gen will last you for the next 15 years. it will pay for itself!!!!