Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   4th Gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Roaring sound (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/278771-roaring-sound.html)

KBToys 10-18-2019 12:13 PM

Roaring sound

07 4runner with 113k is making a roaring sound, kind of like the sound of driving with some aggressive mud tires. I currently have hankook dynopro atm less than a year old so i thought maybe it was just the tires but when i put on my old set of cooper ht's i am still getting the same noise. Wondering if something else is going on. Noise varies by speed and doesn't matter if accelerating or braking

That_Titanium_4RNR 10-18-2019 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KBToys (Post 3373925)
07 4runner with 113k is making a roaring sound, kind of like the sound of driving with some aggressive mud tires. I currently have hankook dynopro atm less than a year old so i thought maybe it was just the tires but when i put on my old set of cooper ht's i am still getting the same noise. Wondering if something else is going on. Noise varies by speed and doesn't matter if accelerating or braking

Sounds like very typical noise that you get from bad wheel bearings. I would put the truck on jack stands and rotate the wheels by hand to see if you have any bad ones.

metramm 10-18-2019 10:13 PM

I second this about the wheel bearings. I had the roaring noise that would go away when turning left (if I'm remembering correctly).

Pulled the front tires off and the passenger side wheel bearing was toast.

Ended up changing both out at the same time just for good measure. Easy bolt on assemblies. Took 45 minutes each side.

I got mine from NJ bearings (forgot his username). Toyo bearings made in Japan. Good stuff.

Let us know if this turns out to be your problem as well or something different.

chaz 10-19-2019 02:55 PM

where is the sound coming from? if it seems like the rear it may also be the pinion bearing. just replaced one in my 06.

KBToys 10-23-2019 07:44 PM

Couldn't really tell where the sound is coming from. Maybe the front. Also tried the hard turn left and right but roaring sound didn't go away

Burt 10-24-2019 04:12 PM

If noise seems to follow engine RPM, then could be fan clutch.