Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Low tire pressure warning light (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/278853-low-tire-pressure-warning-light.html)

NJSalsaRed 10-21-2019 08:08 AM

Low tire pressure warning light

Came on last night, yet all tires are at 35psi. Is there a sensor in the spare by chance? Do these sensors have batteries that need to be replaced every so many years? 2013 SR5 75K miles. On one had I'm glad I wasn't changing a tire in the pouring rain on the side of 287 here in NJ last night.

IanB 10-21-2019 10:12 AM

My '15 Limited has TPMS in the spare, not sure about other trims. It takes about 5min to lower the spare and check, its never a bad idea to make sure it's properly inflated anyway.

cb1111 10-21-2019 10:34 AM

The TPMS sensors have batteries that last between 6 and 10 years and cannot be replaced - you'll need to change the whole sensor.

But - a dead battery will throw some sort of an error code (most likely "TPMS malfunction") and will not display low pressure.

With the temps dropping regularly, it is important to check the pressure in all tires - including the spare.

The Waco Kid 10-21-2019 10:38 AM

I had one that just lost communication after having work done on a tire. Could be as simple as that. Maybe swing by Discount Tire and have them check it out. They fixed me up for free. Should be the same for you just to check.

flyrv9 10-21-2019 11:22 AM

Our 2013 SR5 has a steel wheel spare and no TPMS sensor. Apparently Toyota did away with the sensor in the spare except for maybe the Limited. The spare in our SR5 is mounted with the valve stem up; so it needs to be lowered to check air pressure.

Nuke 10-21-2019 11:40 AM

It's very common, as the ambient temperatures fall, to get a TPMS warning from the spare. We tend to not check the spare tire pressure with the "exuberance" that we check the 4 on the ground. I have multiple vehicles and it never fails...

Bossman 10-21-2019 11:43 AM

Tire pressure sensor in spare

TPMS Sensor in Spare?

SR5 Spare, no TPMS, right?

Spare Tire TPMS

Grug556 10-21-2019 12:08 PM

You know when you say switch tires and put on winter rims, I use to pay to have them recoded..pricey. The alternative is not to have them coded and you get the light..

However if you say store your old coded wheel rims/tires in the same garage where you park, on start up it shows all is ok.. you get about 30mins driving until it pops on... my office is 30-45mins away..so I can always tell when the light will come on.

NJSalsaRed 10-21-2019 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyrv9 (Post 3375311)
Our 2013 SR5 has a steel wheel spare and no TPMS sensor. Apparently Toyota did away with the sensor in the spare except for maybe the Limited. The spare in our SR5 is mounted with the valve stem up; so it needs to be lowered to check air pressure.

Steel spare is what's up there. It's going in shortly for the air bag recall, and I've got an extended Toyota bumper to bumper warranty, so I'll leave it in their hands to fix it.

flyrv9 10-21-2019 01:36 PM

Ok. BTW if you haven't lowered the spare before, you might want to do it for practice. You have to assemble the lowering crank rod and inserting it into the cup above the spare to lower it isn't the easiest due to poor visibility.

MAXISTYLES 10-21-2019 04:34 PM

Tire Air Valve Extension

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJSalsaRed (Post 3375214)
Came on last night, yet all tires are at 35psi. Is there a sensor in the spare by chance? Do these sensors have batteries that need to be replaced every so many years? 2013 SR5 75K miles. On one had I'm glad I wasn't changing a tire in the pouring rain on the side of 287 here in NJ last night.

I got myself a Tire Air Valve Extension, now I don't have to drop the spare to check tire pressure. Flexible ones work best IMO.