Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   I built a Prinsu Style Roof Rack for $300 - Here's the How-To (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/279125-i-built-prinsu-style-roof-rack-$300-heres-how.html)

SuperfastMatt 10-29-2019 02:20 PM

I built a Prinsu Style Roof Rack for $300 - Here's the How-To

I needed a new roof rack and while I like the CBI/Prinsu style it is just way too expensive for some laser cut aluminum and T-Slot bars.

So I made my own; it took about half a day and cost me around $300.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ylPZkwRBA5o" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

So far it works great! I'm happy to answer any questions.

ElectroBoy 10-29-2019 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperfastMatt (Post 3379852)
I needed a new roof rack and while I like the CBI/Prinsu style it is just way too expensive for some laser cut aluminum and T-Slot bars.

Haha! Good job with the video! And that’s a nice looking rack!

-E5J- 10-29-2019 03:25 PM

Quote:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ylPZkwRBA5o" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Very, very resourceful and impressive. Nicely done.

pDubs 10-29-2019 03:40 PM

Nice, looks good!

It would be awesome if you could share all of the materials you bought with links.

Question: I see you are utilizing the 4 stock mounting locations, but it looks like there's some feet at the front in front of sunroof too. Did you drill and put a mount there are does it just rest on the rail?

Hammer0313 10-29-2019 03:53 PM

Best thing I’ve seen :cheer2:

SuperfastMatt 10-29-2019 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pDubs (Post 3379907)
Nice, looks good!

It would be awesome if you could share all of the materials you bought with links.

Question: I see you are utilizing the 4 stock mounting locations, but it looks like there's some feet at the front in front of sunroof too. Did you drill and put a mount there are does it just rest on the rail?

I got the crossbars from here: EX-1020-BLACK – 1″ x 2″ Smooth T-Slotted Aluminum Extrusion – Black Anodize – NEW | TNUTZ
For fasteners, go to McMaster and get two packs of 97763A267 (black stainless bolts) and one of 96765A140 (washers)
The side aluminum (2"x1/4" two pieces 8ft long) I got from my local hardware store but you can get it from MetalsDepot.com for not too much.

The feet on the front are rubber bumpers I had lying around but you can get similar ones here: (McMaster-Carr. I mounted them to the extruded aluminum so that they just press down on the black rubber seams in the roof. I don't think they're needed unless you're loading up the front of the rack with heavy stuff, though they might help keep it from vibrating around.

pDubs 10-29-2019 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperfastMatt (Post 3379933)
I got the crossbars from here: EX-1020-BLACK – 1″ x 2″ Smooth T-Slotted Aluminum Extrusion – Black Anodize – NEW | TNUTZ
For fasteners, go to McMaster and get two packs of 97763A267 (black stainless bolts) and one of 96765A140 (washers)
The side aluminum (2"x1/4" two pieces 8ft long) I got from my local hardware store but you can get it from MetalsDepot.com for not too much.

The feet on the front are rubber bumpers I had lying around but you can get similar ones here: (McMaster-Carr. I mounted them to the extruded aluminum so that they just press down on the black rubber seams in the roof. I don't think they're needed unless you're loading up the front of the rack with heavy stuff, though they might help keep it from vibrating around.

You rock! Thanks

raghu4026 10-29-2019 05:48 PM

Excellent video and info. I am going to try this myself. I was waiting for deals on a drill press. Thanks to you, I'll now look for a milling machine :cowboy:

tomb_rnr 10-29-2019 06:02 PM

Nicely done for half a day project!

A couple of days refining the system and it's not a bad option for a rack!

jdhunz 10-29-2019 06:11 PM

The end comment on $4k worth of tools...spit my drink everywhere!!!:jump:

KANGZ 10-29-2019 08:38 PM

good job. i also think full roof racks out there cost too much. especially gobi. here is mine in the making.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...27e940a048.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gainman 10-29-2019 09:35 PM

Nice job

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Charlievee 10-29-2019 10:05 PM

Quote:

I'm cursing you and praising at the same time. Nice work. Can you share more detail on how the front shroud is mounted?

Little Tower 10-29-2019 10:11 PM

Thanks for the video and great job!
I love seeing creative people doing it themselves. :cheers:

MillerPKA 10-29-2019 10:18 PM

Even as a Gobi owner, much respect for coming up with a purpose-built rack on your own. Double credit for the no-bs explanation video to help others. Primo post.