Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   LFD Cross Bars / Roof Box Combo Suggestions (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/279323-lfd-cross-bars-roof-box-combo-suggestions.html)

User_Name 11-04-2019 11:53 AM

LFD Cross Bars / Roof Box Combo Suggestions

Hi Guys

Heading on a 2000 mile road trip in December with my 2017 4runner SR5 4X4 and need some extra space on top to store stuff. If it matters, I do not have a sunroof.

I really like the LFD Cross Bars, but I dont see many people running them with a roof box. It seems most people are running Yakima or Thule cross bars with the roof boxes. I would prefer to find a combo that will work with the LFD cross bars so I can expand later on

So anyway, does anyone have any experience running LFD crossbars on the stock rails and a roof box? If so what is your set up? I'm looking to get as big as a roofbox as possible.

Thanks!

gdvan01 11-04-2019 12:02 PM

@LFD_Off_Road

LFD_Off_Road 11-04-2019 12:33 PM

we have not personally used our crossbars with clamshell style boxes. however we have had a number of people give us feedback that both brands (yakima,thule) roof boxes do mount onto our crossbars. we use a roam adventure box or pelican cases bolted to our roof racks. hope this helps.

Anand 11-04-2019 01:31 PM

If you aren't dead set on the clam style hard boxes, there are a number of soft sided waterproof "bags" that work as well.

In fact I just ordered a duo of bags to hold our tent (Gazelle T4) as well as misc. other stuff (bedding, clothes, misc other stuff bouncing around the interior on trips) that will be strapped down to my LFD rack... I should say that an ARB awning stays bolted up daily and for trips my recovery boards and hi-lift go up there too. That is, until an LFD rear bumper ends up on my truck...

What I've learned from nearly a year of camping/road/off-road trips is that there really isn't anything you can't securely carry on the LFD rack

Minneyota 11-04-2019 01:45 PM

Force XT L

I run the Thule Motion XT L on the LFD crossbars and it works great. In fact, the reason I even have the LFD crossbars is because I bought the Thule box and the OEM crossbars didn't provide enough height and when loaded down, the front of the box would flex and bang into the 4Runner roof. The LFD bars give enough height that I don't have to worry about the box coming in contact with the roof anymore. Plus, that box looks good on a 4Runner.

Florunner78 11-04-2019 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minneyota (Post 3383197)
I run the Thule Force XT L on the LFD crossbars and it works great. In fact, the reason I even have the LFD crossbars is because I bought the Thule box and the OEM crossbars didn't provide enough height and when loaded down, the front of the box would flex and bang into the 4Runner roof. The LFD bars give enough height that I don't have to worry about the box coming in contact with the roof anymore. Plus, that box looks good on a 4Runner.

I run the same setup and it works great.

Minneyota 11-04-2019 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Florunner78 (Post 3383202)
I run the same setup and it works great.

I just had to update my post...my Thule is the Motion XT L and not the Force. Similar box. Yep, it sure works great for my needs.

Florunner78 11-04-2019 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minneyota (Post 3383205)
I just had to update my post...my Thule is the Motion XT L and not the Force. Similar box. Yep, it sure works great for my needs.

I made the same mistake - I have the Motion XT L also. Either way, it works great with the LFD bars and there's no worry of the crossbars flexing like the stock crossbars.

jhguth 11-04-2019 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anand (Post 3383186)
If you aren't dead set on the clam style hard boxes, there are a number of soft sided waterproof "bags" that work as well.

In fact I just ordered a duo of bags to hold our tent (Gazelle T4) as well as misc. other stuff (bedding, clothes, misc other stuff bouncing around the interior on trips) that will be strapped down to my LFD rack... I should say that an ARB awning stays bolted up daily and for trips my recovery boards and hi-lift go up there too. That is, until an LFD rear bumper ends up on my truck...

What I've learned from nearly a year of camping/road/off-road trips is that there really isn't anything you can't securely carry on the LFD rack

what bags do you use?

esigler 11-04-2019 07:39 PM

I've got the LFD bars with an older Yakama rocket box. Works great except the rear hatch hits the box when the hatch is opened. Only need to be able to slide the box forward an inch or two more, but I'm at the box and bar limits.

Not sure if newer boxes will adjust the clamps further back to give more clearance. Love the LFD bars though.

Anand 11-04-2019 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhguth (Post 3383302)
what bags do you use?

Rola 59102 cargo bag to use across the back of the rack and an ANGU Sports 200cm ski bag for the tent... Won't get to try out either one for a few weeks at least though

2barevo 11-05-2019 01:55 AM

No problems using LFD bars with Yakima skybox.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...f6e739c752.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...b519c9db61.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Florunner78 11-05-2019 08:23 AM

Quick word of caution on those roof bags - I had one that I used for a while because I didn't want to drop the money on a quality cargo box.

I'm not sure what the weather is like where you're from or where you plan on going, but the straps on my bag didn't last very long and broke the last time I tried to tighten them. I'm thinking it was a combination of the rain/humidity and sun down here in FL caused them to rot/become brittle. Could also have been the materials used by the manufacturer (don't recall what brand it was and it's long gone).

Just something to keep in mind since that's not a concern with a cargo box and the clamps used to mount it to the crossbars.

zcruiser 11-05-2019 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anand (Post 3383186)

Pretty much this. They are stout and have plenty of holes along the top surface to be able to attach/configure any roof-top device you can think of.

alcomedic 11-05-2019 10:22 AM

2 Attachment(s)
LFD bars and Yakima skybox. Love how low the box fits with the bars. A few big road trips in and love this setup