Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Amazing... (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/279437-amazing.html)

The Cold War Kid 11-07-2019 07:07 AM

Amazing...

I find that I can buy a JDM engine for about what I will have to pay to get my valves set. A Toyota stealership is the only place I can find that will even set the valves. I've nearly begged for help on that issue but nobody has responded...

It would seem that the age of these vehicles would preclude the concept of JDM - a vehicle in Japan being, in our perception, prematurely retired and parted out. Yet there are engines for sale.

Any thoughts on this matter?

dogtail 11-07-2019 07:38 AM

Why do you need to mess with your valves? 300K is walk in the park for these motors with mere simple tuneup maintenance stuff.

brillo_76 11-07-2019 08:31 AM

I haven't adjusted valves since the 1990s on 1980s 22r engines and the last time I did it I didn't have to adjust much.

So like Dogtail asked. Why are you wanting to adjust them?

We dont have a screw driver and nut adjustment anymore like the early 80s 22R did. It all has to be done by shims.

This would be an extremely time consuming process to complete. I can see anyone that would do it have to charge significantly to complete the task.

Also, the participation on this forum is extremely high on all threads. Sometimes nobody has came across a particular issue or nobody does it in the parameters you set.

So stating you begged for help and nobody responded on 1 of your many threads that lots of users contributed on isnt very accurate.

You specifically asked if anyone did it a mile parameter that you selected and the answer was no because nobody activity involved on this forum responded. ;)

Easy wild tiger. We all try through our own experiences to help others on their 3rd gen repairs and maintenance. :D

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

Bad Luck 11-07-2019 09:41 AM

What I find amazing is the volume of threads you start. You'll start a thread for diagnosis help, then you'll start another thread for the repair, then it seems like there's another thread for results. I usually avoid clicking on any thread you start now, but today is slow so here I am to complain.

mtbtim 11-07-2019 11:40 AM

The 5VZ-FE engines aren't known to need regular valve adjustment checks like the 3RZ-FE requires. But, if you wanted to know how to do it, we have a video of doing it on a 3RZ motor which would be the same technique as the 5VZ. You just have more valves to check on the 5VZ. To get to the point of having the valve covers off, you can use our valve cover gasket video.

This is a time consuming and tedious job, and like you found out, a dealership with their high labor rates will rape you on this. So, I suggest you take up wrenching or forget about it altogether because any shop is going to charge you quite a bit to do this. You may as well buy all the necessary parts to do the valve cover gasket job because it's all the same labor to get in there.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/f0zzsBhs3iA" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/N5fAXAuGozI" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4Runner4Leon 11-07-2019 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Luck (Post 3384970)
What I find amazing is the volume of threads you start.

And all with useless titles that make it hard to figure out the issue at hand. Makes for great click bait, but is also somewhat annoying.

Bad Luck 11-07-2019 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4Runner4Leon (Post 3385108)
And all with useless titles that make it hard to figure out the issue at hand. Makes for great click bait, but is also somewhat annoying.

How could I forget about that? :ybrick:

19963.4lsr5 11-07-2019 01:04 PM

The passenger side you can check with minimal work to gain access. And depending what you find you can use it to help you make a decision.

There is a tool (I have one and have used it 3 times now) that will allow you to remove the shims without removing cams.

3 engines and I only ever had to adjust the exhaust cams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

phattyduck 11-07-2019 03:03 PM

I have never adjusted the valves on a Toyota direct-actuation (cam on shim/bucket) engine, ever. That includes about 1 million total miles over multiple vehicles that I have been 'in charge' of...

Unless you are building an engine (err, heads), it just shouldn't need to be done. Easy enough to check clearances with a feeler gauge while doing valve cover gaskets though... Changing the shims is a different story.

-Charlie

mtbtim 11-07-2019 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phattyduck (Post 3385235)
I have never adjusted the valves on a Toyota direct-actuation (cam on shim/bucket) engine, ever. That includes about 1 million total miles over multiple vehicles that I have been 'in charge' of...

Unless you are building an engine (err, heads), it just shouldn't need to be done. Easy enough to check clearances with a feeler gauge while doing valve cover gaskets though... Changing the shims is a different story.

-Charlie

@JZiggy and others that have checked valve lash on their 3RZ motors have noticed the need to make adjustments. I'm guessing the Toyota engines you've owned weren't prone to needing an adjustment.

phattyduck 11-07-2019 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtbtim (Post 3385251)
@JZiggy and others that have checked valve lash on their 3RZ motors have noticed the need to make adjustments. I'm guessing the Toyota engines you've owned weren't prone to needing an adjustment.

Yeah. 3s-fe, 3s-gte, 5vz-fe, and I suppose you could count the 1gr-fe in my dad's 4th gen...

-Charlie

Chichi98 11-07-2019 04:50 PM

They are solid on millage! mine is 98 at 367 km been owner for 3 years now and am crossing my fingers for many more to come!

T4R2014 11-07-2019 05:37 PM

Ok, then replace the engine. I dare ya.

19963.4lsr5 11-07-2019 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T4R2014 (Post 3385355)
Ok, then replace the engine. I dare ya.

I replaced my 93 ZX7 engine with a 94 ZX9 engine because my 750’s clutch was starting to slip[emoji12]

T4R2014 11-07-2019 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 19963.4lsr5 (Post 3385369)
I replaced my 93 ZX7 engine with a 94 ZX9 engine because my 750’s clutch was starting to slip[emoji12]

I know a guy who replaced a transmission and front differential in a Suzuki Vitara because he didn't realize what manual locking hubs are.