Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   '20 TRD Pro Exhaust (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/279491-20-trd-pro-exhaust.html)

Bruin1md 11-08-2019 11:57 AM

'20 TRD Pro Exhaust

......... for those others who have gotten their '20's, what do you think of the exhaust?

For those that don't know, they positioned the exhaust to where it angles out towards the passenger side and I've heard it's a new cat back that wasn't on the prior models (don't know if that's accurate).

What I can say is that it's definitely louder than the '19 TRD pro I drove before I bought the '20.

I find the drone a little annoying on long drives. You really hear it with throttle inputs in the 30-70mph range.

I love nice exhaust notes (one of the best parts about my Shelby), but this is different and I'm not sure I can live with it long term.
Anyone know if a resonator is an option to tone down the drone or have any other ideas?

LCFj40 11-08-2019 12:14 PM

I have a 2020 and the exhaust can be annoying depending on how much gas you are giving the truck. Once I get up to speed I do not have a drone.

I had a B&B exhaust on a C4 Corvette with a terrible drone, I complained to B&B and they sent me some inserts for the exhaust pipes. The inserts knocked the drone down by 50% or more.. made it tolerable.

My plan is to sound deaden and use mass loaded vinyl on the floor in my 4runner, Im confident that will eliminate the exhaust sound.

Mass Loaded Vinyl (MLV) & Sound Blocking Materials for Your Car - Second Skin Audio

This guy has a nice writeup...

Sound Deadening Doors, Floors and Rear Hatch on 5th Gen 4Runner

RusPro17 11-08-2019 12:46 PM

How many miles do you guys have on your 2020 Pro. Did you notice any difference from 0 miles to whatever your at now. I’m not liking what I’m hearing about the TRD exhaust. I’m still waiting for my army green to come in. But this could be a deciding factor. I don’t want to have to rip off the TRD exhaust and go thru putting another one on. I know all about sound deadening. My 19 Z06 is getting done in about 3 weeks. I had it done in another Vette. It definitely makes a difference.

20204runner 11-08-2019 01:58 PM

I've had mine for 2020 TRDPRO for about a month now. It has definitely gotten less noticeable than when I took it from the dealership. When I drove it home there was a definite level of drone (came from subaru sti so wasn't that bad). However, it also might be because you just get used to it after a month.....currently have about 1100 miles on it now if that helps.

LCFj40 11-08-2019 02:10 PM

You can hit a spot in the power band and make it drone, but if you are driving it normal it wont do it.

I agree with 20204runner, it gets quieter after a week or so...
When I went on my test drive it really was loud, now its a lot less noticeable.

97BlackAckCL 11-08-2019 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruin1md (Post 3385809)
......... for those others who have gotten their '20's, what do you think of the exhaust?

For those that don't know, they positioned the exhaust to where it angles out towards the passenger side and I've heard it's a new cat back that wasn't on the prior models (don't know if that's accurate).

What I can say is that it's definitely louder than the '19 TRD pro I drove before I bought the '20.

I find the drone a little annoying on long drives. You really hear it with throttle inputs in the 30-70mph range.

I love nice exhaust notes (one of the best parts about my Shelby), but this is different and I'm not sure I can live with it long term.
Anyone know if a resonator is an option to tone down the drone or have any other ideas?

I've heard nothing but complaints about the drone with this exhaust. Buy the Borla Touring Cat-Back, gives good power gain, sounds great and no drone. Sell your TRD exhaust, someone who wants loud ass exhaust drone will buy it

Bruin1md 11-08-2019 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RusPro17 (Post 3385854)
How many miles do you guys have on your 2020 Pro. Did you notice any difference from 0 miles to whatever your at now. I’m not liking what I’m hearing about the TRD exhaust. I’m still waiting for my army green to come in. But this could be a deciding factor. I don’t want to have to rip off the TRD exhaust and go thru putting another one on. I know all about sound deadening. My 19 Z06 is getting done in about 3 weeks. I had it done in another Vette. It definitely makes a difference.

I've only got 300 miles on mine.
Hopefully it quiets down after a while, b/c if not, it will be painful having to listen to this on long 4+ hour drives b/w Vegas and L.A in the not to distant future.

halusha 11-09-2019 10:39 PM

Got 600 miles on mine and when combined with cruise control on the highway going up any mild slope the exhaust drone is very annoying, particularly around 3200-3500 rpm. Sometimes have to speak louder just for my wife to hear me over it. Really hope it quiets down or going to have to replace it or figure out some other solution to knock down the drone in the cabin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jplinks 11-20-2019 10:46 AM

any updates from anyone here??

Veinz 11-20-2019 11:46 AM

Not sure if I like the sound or not. On one hand, it reminds me of my beater 95’ Dakota I had in school. Great memories in that thing but it sounded like shit. On the other hand, it certainly adds to the character of the vehicle and I’m kind of used to it.

It has 600km on it now, I did not notice a change in sound since new at all.

halusha 11-20-2019 11:54 AM

I’m at 1350 miles and haven’t noticed any change in the drone. Contemplating switching out exhaust to try to get rid of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vipers28 11-20-2019 02:20 PM

Not sure if still the case but for Pro models you can only get the Borla S and yup, there is drone with that as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL (Post 3386015)
I've heard nothing but complaints about the drone with this exhaust. Buy the Borla Touring Cat-Back, gives good power gain, sounds great and no drone. Sell your TRD exhaust, someone who wants loud ass exhaust drone will buy it

Mudballz 11-20-2019 02:39 PM

Hey folks you can’t make silk out of a pig’s ear the pig here being the old Toyota motor
That said I would be fearful of Toyota if they change it because this motor is an ox at work
Maybe Toyota should hire some Italian engineers to invoke pure sound out of this truck
Mike
Ps I bought a borla touring pleased but not excited about it :plane:

Bruin1md 11-20-2019 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jplinks (Post 3393332)
any updates from anyone here??

No changes after 450 miles in the drone. Still annoying AF.

Has anyone installed a resonator with any success?

jplinks 11-20-2019 03:54 PM

I was just about the buy this vehicle but honestly the sound of that would be very annoying to me