Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Fake valve cover gasket kit on eBay (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/279621-fake-valve-cover-gasket-kit-ebay.html)

nissanh 11-12-2019 12:02 AM

Fake valve cover gasket kit on eBay

1 Attachment(s)
I am doing a valve cover gaskets for a friend's 03 tacoma with a 5vzfe engine, and bought valve cover gaskets (OEM each $16 at partsouq.com + shipping). I was stunned to see an awesome deal for the kit on ebay.

Item description: BRAND "unbranded" but seller states OEM toyota and labels are fake as can be seen by the print and he blurred the toyota logo in each label. I hate these sellers.

New Valve Cover Gasket Set Truck 4Runner Tundra Tacoma Fits Toyota 3.4L V6 OEM | eBay

T4R2014 11-12-2019 12:32 AM

How do we know it's fake? Unbranded isn't enough to me. I'd wanna see what shows up. For $26 it isn't an awful risk. Plus ebay sides with the buyer if they really raise hell.

negusm 11-12-2019 11:47 PM

I don't consider Toyota's version to be all that perfect either. Might work as well as OEM.

brillo_76 11-13-2019 12:06 AM

Then simeone buy a set and verify they are fake.

Where is @The Cold War Kid . He loves to press his luck on an Ebay deal. ;) :D

I myself, wont waste my time as if the deal is too good to be true. It always is. However, others can do as they wish.

It's too much work to tear that all apart and be doing it a month or 2 later because they are junk seals. Well it is for me anyway. Maybe others have more time to tinker then I do. :)

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

MarkBlack 11-13-2019 03:12 AM

Let us know if you take the risk. I need to replace mine soon too.

Boudin 11-13-2019 08:59 AM

EBay is littered with fake toyota parts. Especially oem spark plugs. They're almost indistinguishable from the real thing minus some variances in the print on the plug.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

3bears 11-13-2019 12:35 PM

I would not trust this kit, price is way to good to be true.
Ebay and amazon have tons of "fake" parts as well as fake reviews
Interesting that all the packages have a faded Toyota label logo

mesooohoppy 11-13-2019 01:43 PM

So OP, did you buy them or not buy them?

nissanh 11-13-2019 03:10 PM

Noooo

Quote:

Originally Posted by mesooohoppy (Post 3389244)
So OP, did you buy them or not buy them?

No, I didn't. Went with Partouq.com and each valve cover is $17 and spark plug tube seal is $1.60.

lockedlex 11-13-2019 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boudin (Post 3389069)
EBay is littered with fake toyota parts. Especially oem spark plugs. They're almost indistinguishable from the real thing minus some variances in the print on the plug.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

THIS^

I've decided ages ago for any critical component, to get it from a Dealer or known/trusted distributor only.

I installed my S/C and placed new plugs on it, Toyota label and everything, from Ebay. Decided about a week later, after hearing horror stories about knock offs exploding inside the cylinders, that it wasn't worth the 30 bucks saved.

Ordered from Toyota and swapped those out and dumped them. Sleep better at night now.

4Runner4Leon 11-13-2019 03:23 PM

This is actually not as bad as some others I've seen. This one clearly says "unbranded".

Two other clear giveaways are the phrase "fits Toyota" (that means that it fits, but it's not, Toyota), and the word "OEM" rather than "OEM Toyota" (the latter meaning that the part is made by original equipment manufacturer of this part [which is true by definition] rather than by the original equipment manufacturer of the original Toyota part.)

To me the worst offenders are the $15 "Denso" MAF sensors, complete with "made in Japan" sticker, that come directly from China.

brillo_76 11-13-2019 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4Runner4Leon (Post 3389321)
This is actually not as bad as some others I've seen. This one clearly says "unbranded".

Two other clear giveaways are the phrase "fits Toyota" (that means that it fits, but it's not, Toyota), and the word "OEM" rather than "OEM Toyota" (the latter meaning that the part is made by original equipment manufacturer of this part [which is true by definition] rather than by the original equipment manufacturer of the original Toyota part.)

To me the worst offenders are the $15 "Denso" MAF sensors, complete with "made in Japan" sticker, that come directly from China.

Sadly, I would say the 100% of the cheap too good to be true pricing is chinese junk. We seen this over and over again. It's a buyer beware world.

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk