Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   Engines / Suspension / Wheels / Tires / Audio / Accessories (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/engines-suspension-wheels-tires-audio-accessories/)
-   -   Questions About Adjusting Icon Coilover (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/engines-suspension-wheels-tires-audio-accessories/279643-questions-about-adjusting-icon-coilover.html)

JonesBones 11-12-2019 12:50 PM

Questions About Adjusting Icon Coilover

My front passenger side is sitting about a half-inch lower than the driver side. I decided to try and adjust the Icon coilover myself to remedy that. Once I got it up on the jack stands, I released the stopper with an allen wrench, then I tried using a 5/16 pin punch to turn it, but I couldn't get it to budge.

I've watched a couple of videos on adjusting these, but it just didn't look that difficult.

I don't have a spanner wrench. My pin punch is not very long. Is it just that I need more leverage, or is there some other issue?

I wasn't able to get my tires completely off the ground either...might that be part of the issue as well?

Krayziekid 11-14-2019 10:20 AM

Are you trying to adjust it with the tire still on? That would make it pretty hard to get the leverage you need. Probably need a longer punch too.

I would try to get the tire off the ground and then take it off. Much more room to work. Hit the threads with a little bit lubricant too before you start turning them, especially if you haven't cleaned them in a while. If that doesn't work, you probably just need a spanner and some elbow grease to crank that sucker down.

JonesBones 11-14-2019 12:00 PM

Yeah, tire was still on. Appreciate the feedback! I'll give it another go this weekend and get the tires off this time. Thanks!

kpinthebay 11-17-2019 04:04 PM

No need to remove wheels. Jack truck up and get more leverage. Maybe consider ponying up for the spanner wrench. Or get a generic one of Amazon.

I have icon coilovers and use the spanner wrench with the floor jack extension for leverage if needed. Turns like Butter. Squirt some wd40 on the threads too if you must.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

JonesBones 12-04-2019 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpinthebay (Post 3391707)
I have icon coilovers and use the spanner wrench with the floor jack extension for leverage if needed. Turns like Butter. Squirt some wd40 on the threads too if you must.

Thanks for that input. I was just about to ask if any particular lubricant or penetrant would be better than another. I've got regular WD40 if that's all it takes.

I read elsewhere that WD40 White Lithium is the way to go for coilovers. Some recommended Blaster PB penetrant. I have no idea. Any suggestions?