Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Swapping a 2002 steering wheel in a 97 (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/279713-swapping-2002-steering-wheel-97-a.html)

MarkBlack 11-14-2019 01:40 AM

Swapping a 2002 steering wheel in a 97

I’ve seen many clean 2000-2002 steering wheels at the junk yard. I personally think they look a lot cleaner than the 97. Has anyone done it? The guys at the junk yard said it’s easy to take off, but how easy is it to install?

dcshipwreck 11-14-2019 12:01 PM

should just be a matter of rewiring the air bag and cruise if needed, I did it on my 97 subaru impreza I installed a 07 sti wheel and had everything working just had to rewire it.

STI_MECE 11-14-2019 06:32 PM

Yes its pretty easy.

I had to pull the cruise control switch from my 2000 steering wheel and put it on a 2002 steering wheel.

You can pull the pins from the connectors and put im into the new steering wheel you get.

You might want a puller to get the steering wheel off, and you need a torx bit, i forgot the size, t30 maybe?

and a 18mm socket IIRC.

You can get the steering wheel off with your hands, if you have controlled forced, like me :nerd: I didnt need the puller lol

infamousRNR 11-14-2019 09:40 PM

you could also consider swapping the clock spring to avoid chopping up ALL of your wires, but repining or splicing your cruise control wires should be that bad either.

Quote:

Originally Posted by STI_MECE (Post 3390187)
Yes its pretty easy.

You might want a puller to get the steering wheel off, and you need a torx bit, i forgot the size, t30 maybe?

and a 18mm socket IIRC.

Are you sure its an 18mm??? I'm pretty sure its a 19mm nut holding the steering wheel on the steering shaft

STI_MECE 11-15-2019 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infamousRNR (Post 3390302)
you could also consider swapping the clock spring to avoid chopping up ALL of your wires, but repining or splicing your cruise control wires should be that bad either.

Are you sure its an 18mm??? I'm pretty sure its a 19mm nut holding the steering wheel on the steering shaft

Maybe you are right, thats why I said IIRC lol

Repinning the wires was not bad at all, that white connector comes apart if you press down in the right areas. If you look at the connector closely you can see where it comes apart. It took me maybe 10 minutes for the whole thing.

Tinigunner11 11-15-2019 10:17 AM

I have a 2000 steering wheel in my 97. All you need is the wheel and the clock spring. Cruise control stalks are the same. Great mod to get rid of the 2 post steering wheel! You’ll need a 19 mm socket and a T25 Torx bit.

DreadPirateJon 11-15-2019 10:36 AM

My pop's 97 T100 has a very similar 4 spoke wheel to the post MCA 4runner. I was wondering if that may be a swap where you dont need to repin the connectors.

4Runner4Leon 11-15-2019 01:40 PM

I must be a dinosaur, I had several chances to grab a later steering wheel for my '97, but I like the '97 better - it provides a clear view of the cruise and and headlight stalks. These are totally hidden by the extra spokes of the 4 spoke wheels. But maybe it's just my geometry :).

gamefreakgc 11-15-2019 01:53 PM

Nobody mentioned pulling the battery first... please do that. There's a live airbag in the wheel and when there's things like re-wiring going on you don't want to be in front of that thing with your face there if something goes wrong.

I part-out 4Runners on the side and even I don't fool around with anything in the safety restraint system with the battery connected.

Also, not sure if this matters but the airbags in the 97 are not the same as a 00-01 airbag, which is not the same as an 02 airbag. Just a heads up.