Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   General Discussions (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/general-discussions/)
-   -   Catastrophic ToyTec BOSS coilover failure (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/general-discussions/279784-catastrophic-toytec-boss-coilover-failure.html)

MORK 11-16-2019 12:02 PM

Catastrophic ToyTec BOSS coilover failure

Been a long time since I’ve posted anything here, but I’m hoping to help anyone else out so they don’t run into the same situation.

I actually sold the 4Runner to a really nice guy about a month ago, and he just sent me this picture:

https://advrider.com/f/attachments/a...-jpeg.1996238/

Here is the 4Runner for reference.

https://advrider.com/f/attachments/9...-jpeg.1996235/

Apparently, this was just after crossing one of those rolling speed bumps. Now, we didn’t baby the car, but we treated it well as it was my daily driver with the little kids along as well.

So... if you have lifted your 4Runner, particularly with ToyTec BOSS shocks, please make sure to check these welds. (Or, replace them with a better designed shock without that failure point...) Imagine if he had hit a pothole on the freeway instead when this happened. I’m currently waiting on ToyTec to respond if they will help this guy out...

Thai 11-16-2019 02:25 PM

Hmmmm...another Toytec failure......

https://www.toyota-4runner.org/gener...toytec+failure

Rightside Up 11-16-2019 04:02 PM

Yikes!

Shiftless Joe 11-17-2019 12:19 PM

I guess running the stock bump stop with Toytecs is a bad idea.

mesooohoppy 11-20-2019 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thai (Post 3391212)
Hmmmm...another Toytec failure......

https://www.toyota-4runner.org/gener...toytec+failure

im not picking sides in that thread, but the OP clearly states he installed them wrong. what do you expect?

04rnr 11-20-2019 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shiftless Joe (Post 3391610)
I guess running the stock bump stop with Toytecs is a bad idea.

nope, Ive ran stock bump stops on 3 4runners now, all had (have) the toytec boss kit and yes, Ive been known to take all of them off road LOL..

04rnr 11-20-2019 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MORK (Post 3391149)
Been a long time since I’ve posted anything here, but I’m hoping to help anyone else out so they don’t run into the same situation.

I actually sold the 4Runner to a really nice guy about a month ago, and he just sent me this picture:

Apparently, this was just after crossing one of those rolling speed bumps. Now, we didn’t baby the car, but we treated it well as it was my daily driver with the little kids along as well.

So... if you have lifted your 4Runner, particularly with ToyTec BOSS shocks, please make sure to check these welds. (Or, replace them with a better designed shock without that failure point...) Imagine if he had hit a pothole on the freeway instead when this happened. I’m currently waiting on ToyTec to respond if they will help this guy out...

I have to ask, if you sold the 4runner, why do you care what happens to it after you sold it?

pDubs 11-21-2019 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 04rnr (Post 3393746)
I have to ask, if you sold the 4runner, why do you care what happens to it after you sold it?

wut?

04rnr 11-21-2019 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pDubs (Post 3394124)
wut?

case and point of the Failure of the American education system. lol

pDubs 11-21-2019 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 04rnr (Post 3394541)

No I meant “wut” like how could you be such a d that you “wouldn’t care what happens to it after you sold it”.

Dude sold a truck not even a month ago to an apparent really nice guy. Why would he not care if something completely fails? That’s like, exactly something you should care about.

AuSeeker 11-22-2019 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 04rnr (Post 3393746)

Quote:

Originally Posted by pDubs (Post 3394124)
wut?

Quote:

Originally Posted by 04rnr (Post 3394541)

Quote:

Originally Posted by pDubs (Post 3394614)
No I meant “wut” like how could you be such a d that you “wouldn’t care what happens to it after you sold it”.

Dude sold a truck not even a month ago to an apparent really nice guy. Why would he not care if something completely fails? That’s like, exactly something you should care about.

I agree with @pDubs , and I feel sorry for anyone who may in the future buy a vehicle from @04rnr !:wtf:

04rnr 11-22-2019 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AuSeeker (Post 3394708)
I agree with @pDubs , and I feel sorry for anyone who may in the future buy a vehicle from @04rnr !:wtf:

so let me ask, Have you ever sold a car, a cell phone etc? Have you contacted the new owner months later to make sure everything is going good???

Let see who answers that but Ive noticed the OP refuses to answer my question lol..

BTW you you seem to forget this:
"im not picking sides in that thread, but the OP clearly states he installed them wrong. what do you expect?"

04rnr 11-22-2019 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mesooohoppy (Post 3393617)
im not picking sides in that thread, but the OP clearly states he installed them wrong. what do you expect?

thats what liberal democrats do, they seem to "forget" facts to fit their agenda lol :noidea:

pDubs 11-22-2019 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 04rnr (Post 3394814)
BTW you you seem to forget this:
"im not picking sides in that thread, but the OP clearly states he installed them wrong. what do you expect?"

That has nothing to do with this thread, and is a completely different truck and owner...."case and point of the Failure of the American education system"????

How in the world are you comparing selling a vehicle to a used cell phone? Yikes. Any decent human being would care if the truck they sold broke down within 30 days of selling. I guess we know your mindset.

Phade 11-22-2019 05:04 PM

Have to admit, I was seriously looking at a Toytec kit for their BF deal. While this seems isolated, it was enough to stop the buy button from being clicked.

I'll have to do some more research.