Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   Off-Roading (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/off-roading/)
-   -   Basic 4Runner Survival Kit? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/off-roading/279812-basic-4runner-survival-kit.html)

moshie 11-17-2019 09:34 PM

Basic 4Runner Survival Kit?

Just looking to put a basic PERSONAL survival kit in my 4Runner to keep in it at all times. What should I get?

zcruiser 11-17-2019 11:01 PM

Combination of vehicle and personal items...

Air compressor + tire repair kit (plugs+tools)
Oil
Rags
A 12” block of 4x4 to prop your jack on, in case of unstable ground
Tow rope
Basic tools
Spare lug nuts (don’t ask)
Trenching tool
Machete & folder
Ratchet straps
Tire pressure gauge
Hand wipes for cleanup

Flares or hi-viz flasher
Flashlight(s) / headlamp
Extra batteries (try to have a common size, whatever it is)
2-way radio / backup cell phone
Paper maps / compass

Stable, high calorie foods
Water + filtration/purification system
Extra clothes / shoes
Gloves
Tarp for shelter / blanket
First aid kit (lots of choices here) + meds
Fire-starting methods
Backpack / hat
Sunscreen / bug spray
Cash

techno 11-18-2019 03:25 PM

When you say "4Runner survival", are you looking for suggestions for stuff to keep your 4Runner running in case of breakdowns and mechanical troubles, or do you mean a personal survival kit that stays in your 4Runner?

Mudballz 11-18-2019 03:47 PM

2 things I would add is a couple rolls duct tape and a folding fishing pole kit
Mike

zcruiser 11-18-2019 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mudballz (Post 3392252)
Mike

I like the fishing pole idea, I actually have a couple.

Add a hank of paracord (reflective).

I put together a small kit like this in a duffle for both of my daughters... One lives out in the middle of nowhere South Dakota (on a rez). She has to drive 6 hrs to get to a major airport.

Here's the food rations that I bought for their bag:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075TXP1P5

moshie 11-18-2019 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by techno (Post 3392227)
When you say "4Runner survival", are you looking for suggestions for stuff to keep your 4Runner running in case of breakdowns and mechanical troubles, or do you mean a personal survival kit that stays in your 4Runner?

I mean personal survival kit, I feel like I have a lot of the equipment for my 4Runner. I guess I mistyped.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mudballz (Post 3392252)
Mike

I like this idea :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by zcruiser (Post 3392284)
I like the fishing pole idea, I actually have a couple.

Add a hank of paracord (reflective).

I put together a small kit like this in a duffle for both of my daughters... One lives out in the middle of nowhere South Dakota (on a rez). She has to drive 6 hrs to get to a major airport.

Here's the food rations that I bought for their bag:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075TXP1P5

Woah! That's so nice. What did you put in their bags?

RonJR 11-19-2019 01:12 PM

For personal survival, remember the rule of 3's.
"You can survive 3 minutes without air, 3 hours without shelter, 3 days without water, and 3 weeks without food." So, here's how I would recommend looking at it:
- Shelter -- the 4runner will provide a lot of that, but a good sleeping bag, gloves, warm/dry coat, and stocking cap should go along. A pair of light rain pants over your shorts or trousers will also help a lot if you have to be out in bad weather. A stove and/or a way to make fire is a good idea. Everest climbers survive on hot tea. Just drinking hot water will help immensely in keeping your core temperature up.
- Water -- Figure a gallon/person/day in the desert, less in the mountains. In the mountains you can purify local water. Also, it's much better to drink un-purified water than to go without, unless you're stranded in an EPA Superfund site.
- Food -- Food is a comfort item, more than an absolute necessity. You can't starve to death in a week, but you can get uncomfortable, irritable, and make poor decisions if you're hungry.

Beyond that, take an Inreach or Spot satellite emergency communication device. Activate that and there's nowhere in the lower 48 where you're more than a few hours to a day or so (depending on weather) from rescue.

Trail4me 11-24-2019 12:05 AM

Where do you keep all this stuff? There's almost no compartment space in this truck. I'm new to it but all i found so far is glove box, center storage and some weird storage on the right side by the tailgate.

I'm coming from 2003 Pilot and it had a nice compartment that was inside the bed in the trunk. Held my tools, hitches, jumping cables, flares, etc there. Besides, who thought it's a good idea to limit front doors side space length by dividing it with bottle holders. Now my ax doesn't fit there :D

I'm left with a pile of crap from my old SUV that i got no idea where to put it.

zcruiser 11-24-2019 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trail4me (Post 3395988)
Where do you keep all this stuff? There's almost no compartment space in this truck. I'm new to it but all i found so far is glove box, center storage and some weird storage on the right side by the tailgate.

I'm coming from 2003 Pilot and it had a nice compartment that was inside the bed in the trunk. Held my tools, hitches, jumping cables, flares, etc there. Besides, who thought it's a good idea to limit front doors side space length by dividing it with bottle holders. Now my ax doesn't fit there :D

I'm left with a pile of crap from my old SUV that i got no idea where to put it.

I bought a bin and threw it all in.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...32c1f08111.jpg

patkelly4370 11-24-2019 02:09 AM

Toilet paper and a trowel.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Trail4me 11-24-2019 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zcruiser (Post 3396000)

With that set up my recliner chair won't fit in ;)

snowpeak 11-24-2019 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zcruiser (Post 3396000)

+1 on a bin. Mine contains all my small recovery gear, duct tape, bungee cords, extra blanket, e-tool, hatchet, receiver shackle, jumper cables, etc. I even glued some non-slip carpet rubber stuff to the bottom to prevent it from sliding around on the rear cargo liner. That thing is solid. Doesn’t make a peep back there.

Personal survival wise, I would make sure you have water and a way to communicate. Someone mentioned an inReach or SPOT tracker. Hands down that’s the most important “get out of jail free” card you can own. As far as water, a filter might seem like a nice safety net but if you don’t have a water source you’re screwed, so consider loading up on long trips. Gallon of water per person per day.

ElectroBoy 11-24-2019 03:42 AM

This is my version of the backpacker’s “Ten Essentials” list:

1. Navigation: map, compass, altimeter, GPS device, personal locator beacon (PLB) or satellite messenger, mobile phone, extra battery pack and cables.
2. Headlamp (LED): plus extra batteries.
3. Sun protection: sunglasses, sun-protective clothes, hat, sunscreen
4. First aid kit: include foot care, saline solution for eyes, insect repellent, isopropyl alcohol, toilet paper, sanitizing hand wipes, trowel, nitrile gloves
5. Tools: Swiss army knife or leatherman, paracord, duct or gorilla tape
6. Fire: matches, bic lighter, tinder, candle, stove + fuel
7. Shelter: light emergency bivy, sleeping bag, tent, large plastic garbage bags, Mylar Emergency blankets
8. Extra food: Beyond the minimum expectation
9. Extra water: Water purification tablets, water filter
10. Extra clothes: Rain gear, knit hat, warm gloves

One more thing: if you always keep these items in your truck some of them will deteriorate quicker in the heat. Inspect and replace them occasionally.

Howsmytread 11-27-2019 12:07 AM

Wheel as winch straps

New to this community, figured this would be the place to ask this.

Have any of you used those straps that wrap around your tire and it acts like a winch to pull yourself out?
Amazon.com: Vehicle Recovery Kit with Strap. Twin Pack by BOG Out. 4x4 Recovery Gear for Offroad Recovery. Turn Your Wheels into a Winch.: Automotive

RitsE 12-10-2019 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by techno (Post 3392227)

good counsel))