Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   Engines / Suspension / Wheels / Tires / Audio / Accessories (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/engines-suspension-wheels-tires-audio-accessories/)
-   -   Suspension question (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/engines-suspension-wheels-tires-audio-accessories/279827-suspension-question.html)

G_Raw 11-18-2019 09:55 AM

Suspension question

Ultimately I'll end up with armored bumper and winch up front, bumper and spare carrier in back. Don't currently have them though. Getting ready to throw on OME lift. Do I put the heavier rated springs on now? Mid weight springs now and deal with swapping springs when I add the bumpers? I just don't know how uncomfortable the ride will be with out thi e bumpers to weigh down the springs...or if my wheels won't be able to be aligned properly even.

Thanks for in put.

Narat_524 11-18-2019 10:32 AM

How long?

The question is how long will you be driving until you get all the "stuff" put on that you plan to put on it?

Given my own recent experience with exactly this issue, the front springs (550 lbs, vs std 500) are fine, but the rears are 3" +400lbs, and they're stiff without any weight - to the extent that I put 250lbs of batteries and metal over the rear axle so I could drive it daily without losing a kidney.

I've driven a 3/4 ton diesel truck for the last 17 years, so I'm not unaccustomed to a rough ride, and before I put all the armor and camping do-dads in it, it was just not the ride I wanted out of my 4Runner.

If I had to do it again, I would have put the softer springs in the rear and swapped them out once I got everything else put on. The first time you swap springs, it sucks. Once you know the tricks, second time around was a breeze.

G_Raw 11-18-2019 10:18 PM

Plan is lift, tires, pan hard correction, sway links extended. All at once.

Regear and lsd

Bumper plus winch

Bumper plus spare

In that order.
But since both bumper set ups are some money and the lifting properly takes some money...There will be time between this all...months perhaps. So if I lift now...itd be till after the holidays for the front bumper, then till mid spring for the rear...

I've dealt with swapping springs and own spring compresses so not worried about that...It's just extra time, work, and money is all.

Alternatively I guess I could try to be patient and stack parts over the course of 6 months then transform the whole ride over a week.