Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   4th Gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Mounting tire on spare carrier. (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/280020-mounting-tire-spare-carrier.html)

SoFL Runner 11-24-2019 09:47 AM

Mounting tire on spare carrier.

Hey everyone!

I recently found a Detours knucklebone tire carrier locally for a decent price. I bought it blind without knowing the pieces it’s supposed to come with. Well turns out I’m missing a safety pin to prevent the carrier from swinging down. I also don’t have any bolts to mount the tire onto the carrier.

What bolts are you using to mount the tire on to the carrier? I’m looking for length and thread. How are you keeping the bolts from falling out when you need to remove the spare? I’d hate to remove the spare then lose a bolt and unable to mount the destroyed tire. Are you using lock lug nuts to keep someone from stealing your spare?

Thanks for the help everyone. I know someone on here has had these thoughts run through their head at some point.

radlynx 11-24-2019 12:18 PM

Not sure what you are referring to. Pictures would help.

kyle_pc_75 11-24-2019 12:48 PM

Weld or press in some stock size lug studs onto the carrier from the back, use lug nuts to secure the spare. You won't lose the studs and you'll always have a few spare lug nuts.

montijo505 11-25-2019 05:22 PM

Get some lug studs from auto zone or similar. Have someone tack weld them on. As for the pin, contact detours I’m sure they’ll sell you one for a couple bucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hinmo24t 11-25-2019 05:31 PM

i have one. it came with bolts for attaching the spare and i used lugs to attach it. no locking lug because i run an spare steely and mismatched full size spare so i dont care if someone takes it. if i used the spare the wheel it replaced will be tossed in the vehicle until i get home. i used a hitch pin thats locking so the whole thing can be removed. you want that pin...i even keep a small strap around the red lever because it screams 'open me' to pedestrians