Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   General Discussions (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/general-discussions/)
-   -   Best way to sell my 4R? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/general-discussions/280180-best-way-sell-my-4r.html)

dreadpyrat 11-29-2019 07:25 PM

Best way to sell my 4R?

1 Attachment(s)
Hey all, the time has come for me to sell my rig and I'm wondering that since I've done a bunch of work on it, should I part out the upgrades? I've got a practically brand new Gobi Stealth rack on the roof, for example, which I bet I wont get anything for on a trade in...

Here's my truck. Bilstein 5100s, Method rims, KO2 tires, Gobi roof rack, etc...

Any suggestions? eBay Motors? Craigslist? Consignment service like Shift? Or just trade it in at the dealership?
What's the best way to get this in the hands of someone who will appreciate it and I wont lose a lot on my upgrade investments? Thanks!!

cb1111 11-29-2019 08:33 PM

Why are you getting rid of it?

dreadpyrat 11-29-2019 08:59 PM

Need something smaller and more fuel efficient for my commute. Nothing wrong with it, and under 40k miles!

4runnin4mylife 11-29-2019 09:05 PM

Your best bet is to part out what you can. That will be the best way to get the most money from the mods. How far you go with taking things off and selling them all depends on you and the effort your want to put in. After that I would trade it in, but to get your most money I would pull the mods prior to that.

FoCo-4Runner 11-29-2019 09:30 PM

I’ve sold several vehicles over the last several years. I use to use craigslist until they began charging but it is still a viable option. My last 4Runner was sold via Craigslist to a guy in CA who flew to CO and drove it back. I sold it with all the parts and while I could have gotten more if I would have parted it out, I got a good price and didn’t have to deal with removing everything, listing the parts, and dealing with a bunch or low-balling *******s.

Facebook marketplace worked very good for my last 2 vehicles and was pretty painless.... minus, again, the low-balling *******s who want to trade random crap for a car they can afford.

If I were you, I’d list it as is and see what you get. Also have an idea what you’d remove and what you’d sell it for as a plan-b and have that in your pocket if your not getting the results you want.

cb1111 11-30-2019 10:05 PM

A dealer will give you Manheim (auction) value and tell you why your mods reduce the value.

Selling it independently will yield similar results - somebody who wants a modded car probably doesn't like all of your mods so there won't be (much) added value.

If parting out the mods, you need to put the car back to how it was, so you'll need the original parts and the time (and costs if you don't do it yourself) to revert everything back to stock. It needs to be done properly, with alignments and whatnot.

My suggestion would be to post it here in the classifieds as is but price it very realistically perhaps adding a bit for the wheels and the roof rack and nothing else.

dreadpyrat 12-02-2019 04:18 PM

Really appreciate the advice fellas. I cant imagine how I'd even ship the roof rack if someone wanted it so I'm going to give the Craigslist and t4R.org postings a go. Thanks!!

Dillusion 12-02-2019 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FoCo-4Runner (Post 3400106)
I’ve sold several vehicles over the last several years. I use to use craigslist until they began charging but it is still a viable option. My last 4Runner was sold via Craigslist to a guy in CA who flew to CO and drove it back. I sold it with all the parts and while I could have gotten more if I would have parted it out, I got a good price and didn’t have to deal with removing everything, listing the parts, and dealing with a bunch or low-balling *******s.

Facebook marketplace worked very good for my last 2 vehicles and was pretty painless.... minus, again, the low-balling *******s who want to trade random crap for a car they can afford.

If I were you, I’d list it as is and see what you get. Also have an idea what you’d remove and what you’d sell it for as a plan-b and have that in your pocket if your not getting the results you want.

Since when does CL charge? I don't remember ever getting charged for selling a vehicle.

Ahh crap well googled it and it was this year. Nevermind.

But $5? I usually post on Autotrader and Cars.com but I'm pretty sure all my bites came from CL. So $5 well spent.

mesooohoppy 12-04-2019 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillusion (Post 3402153)
Since when does CL charge? I don't remember ever getting charged for selling a vehicle.

Ahh crap well googled it and it was this year. Nevermind.

But $5? I usually post on Autotrader and Cars.com but I'm pretty sure all my bites came from CL. So $5 well spent.

keep in mind its $5 every 30 days. CL said they did it for spam. its not tho, they realized they could charge people money for posting cars so they finally went ahead and did it.

if it really was for spam you could introduce some sort of veritifcation system. for instance, when you sign up for paypal it takes a dollar out of your checking account to ensure that you are legit and it can pull money. it puts that dollar back in your account once its all verified. CL could just as easily introduce a system like this and get around charging people $5 under the guise its for 'spam' (my main gripe about deceptively charging people $$).

Dillusion 12-04-2019 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mesooohoppy (Post 3403273)
keep in mind its $5 every 30 days. CL said they did it for spam. its not tho, they realized they could charge people money for posting cars so they finally went ahead and did it.

if it really was for spam you could introduce some sort of veritifcation system. for instance, when you sign up for paypal it takes a dollar out of your checking account to ensure that you are legit and it can pull money. it puts that dollar back in your account once its all verified. CL could just as easily introduce a system like this and get around charging people $5 under the guise its for 'spam' (my main gripe about deceptively charging people $$).

Never had a problem selling a car in under 30 days.

And $5 I'm not losing sleep over if it did run more than 30. Everything in this world can't be free.

brtnstrns 12-04-2019 05:17 PM

If you're trading it in, I would, without a doubt, sell the Gobi rack separately locally on Craigslist and purchase some OEM Toyota Wheels off CL and sell your aftermarket ones separately.

Those are easy to pull off and easy to make money on that you will 100% not get any value on by trading it in.

I pulled my Gobi off my last 4Runner and sold it in a matter of a couple of weeks locally knowing that it added zero dollars to my trade-in (even asked the dealership directly if it would affect the value, they said no) but would get me an additional $1000+ in my pocket.

keedoos 12-08-2019 01:27 AM

nice looking 4R, good luck selling it/getting money back from all those mods

sn_85 12-08-2019 02:16 AM

Well I'd hardly call a lift, tires, wheels, and roof rack "done a bunch of work on it". Find stock parts on craigslist locally and you can easily unmod the truck over the course of a weekend. Rack isn't more than a few bolts. Lift should take about 3 hours. Wheels and tires another hour at most. Easy peasy. Resell those parts and get the most out of them as you can. You won't get anything for those mods from the dealer and the used 5th gen market is so saturated at this point that mods don't mean much on here either.

Opie! 12-15-2019 05:42 PM

My 3rd gen doesn't have much in the way of mods. Just an OME suspension system and a fully documented maintenance history. I was surprised how much the dealer offered.

peetul83 12-15-2019 10:42 PM

Private party sales if you have the patience.