Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   key fobs help (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/280224-key-fobs-help.html)

The Cold War Kid 12-01-2019 10:02 AM

key fobs help

BEFORE SOMEBODY GOES OFF ON ME I did the search, read the threads, watched the video, kicked the tires, burbped the beebe... and still the !@#$%^&*!! DOES NOT WORK.

Given that I have followed the instructions, does anybody have any idea why?

Brian. 12-01-2019 10:13 AM

WHAT doesn't work? Cripes, I don't even know if you're talking about the vehicle side or the fob side of the equation.

Post details. The more, the better. Without gobs of details, no one can help. And since I've been through this myself, I know, for an absolute fact, that EVERYTHING you need to know, has been posted already.

BoomerBob 12-01-2019 10:17 AM

It could be broken or have a dead battery. If it's new then maybe this video will help.

YouTube

The Cold War Kid 12-01-2019 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian. (Post 3401001)
WHAT doesn't work? Cripes, I don't even know if you're talking about the vehicle side or the fob side of the equation.

Post details. The more, the better. Without gobs of details, no one can help. And since I've been through this myself, I know, for an absolute fact, that EVERYTHING you need to know, has been posted already.

That makes 2 of us - I don't know ether. Bought 2 new fobs. Can not get them to program...

Is it even possible my truck does not have remote door locks? Logical place to start. It says SR5 on the lift gate but it is a bare-bones trck - no leather, no moon roof... no extras I can see.

HiLife 12-01-2019 02:20 PM

Yah, the procedure is very tedious and specific. Miss a step and you'll have to start all over. On the 8th try...mines worked. And didn't work on the 9th try when I wanted to add another fob in the system.
I would think being a new than 00 rig it would have that lock and unlock feature.

Brian. 12-01-2019 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Cold War Kid (Post 3401125)
That makes 2 of us - I don't know ether. Bought 2 new fobs. Can not get them to program...

Is it even possible my truck does not have remote door locks? Logical place to start. It says SR5 on the lift gate but it is a bare-bones trck - no leather, no moon roof... no extras I can see.

Well, you're the one who has read all the form posts, watched all the videos, etc... That means you've seen all of this information already, right?

How did you know which of the 2 different versions of key fob to buy?

Best I can offer is that if you can't get the vehicle into programming mode, go into a dealer and ask them if your particular vehicle even had it as an option to begin with.

spartacus 12-01-2019 02:26 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Inside the engine bay passenger fender has the theft detergent horn and wireless door buzzer. If you have these then you have the wireless door lock system.
Attached are the pages of the fsm that I have used to program the key fobs. There are separate procedures for adding a key fob.

brillo_76 12-01-2019 03:19 PM

Do you have these stickers on your door windows. Do you have the RS3000 or RS3002 module under your drivers seat?

If the answer is no. I would call a local Toyota dealership and they can verify with your VIN. If you have keyless entry or not

3 of my 5 do not have this. So its quite possible you do not have it or you may.

Might be a good first step. As if you do not have the module. Those FOBS will never program.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...fc4308f10c.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...3f42cc65c6.jpg

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

BoomerBob 12-01-2019 03:33 PM

Quote:

2001 Sr5 V6 2WD

Unless a dealership added a module to have an aftermarket remote door lock fobs then you don't have it. Mine had a "Karr" brand module which you see in the Southwest; mostly in Cali. I took it out because I couldn't get the auto door locks, which I hate, to stop working. I couldn't get a "Karr" fob to work so I removed it from under the kick panel under the steering wheel. Very easy to do. The auto door locks stopped working and I was a happy camper. I have to use a key all the time but that's okay. There are other effective anti-theft devices one can use when going to high risk areas.

You may benefit from looking at the specs of your T4R.

Specs

brillo_76 12-01-2019 04:52 PM

I believe my were added on as they are limited. My 01 is a sport and I verified with my local Toyota dealership via the VIN and it has it

I say this because they clipped into wires and added a relay brick under my steering wheel. I cant see that being this way off a factory floor. However, maybe they all are ad on the the 1996 - 1998 style.

My SR5 [ non limited ]do not. I am sure some of the higher end SR5 may have the add on.

The Cold War Kid 12-01-2019 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoomerBob (Post 3401199)
Unless a dealership added a module to have an aftermarket remote door lock fobs then you don't have it. Mine had a "Karr" brand module which you see in the Southwest; mostly in Cali. I took it out because I couldn't get the auto door locks, which I hate, to stop working. I couldn't get a "Karr" fob to work so I removed it from under the kick panel under the steering wheel. Very easy to do. The auto door locks stopped working and I was a happy camper. I have to use a key all the time but that's okay. There are other effective anti-theft devices one can use when going to high risk areas.

You may benefit from looking at the specs of your T4R.

Specs

Remote lock/unlock not present. Problem solved. Thank you sir :)

BostonJon 12-01-2019 07:09 PM

Easy to add with an aftermarket system

brillo_76 12-01-2019 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BostonJon (Post 3401324)
Easy to add with an aftermarket system

Can even add the remote start option. So your rig is all warmed up for you in these winter months. :] My mother and father in law have both their vehicles equipped with remote start.

Piney 12-01-2019 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brillo_76 (Post 3401355)
Can even add the remote start option. So your rig is all warmed up for you in these winter months. :] My mother and father in law have both their vehicles equipped with remote start.

My wife has remote start.
She makes me go out and start it.

BoomerBob 12-02-2019 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piney (Post 3401525)
My wife has remote start.
She makes me go out and start it.

:faint: :D :D :D