Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Spike in Thefts / Relay Attacks (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/280304-spike-thefts-relay-attacks.html)

mattr 12-03-2019 12:31 PM

Spike in Thefts / Relay Attacks

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...tack-1.5380947

This article is making the rounds today up north - I know over the years here I've seen a few people have stolen T4Rs that they suspect was stolen by the relay attack.

Have to wonder if there's a chance Toyota will do anything to up their game here.

rdruss 12-03-2019 01:05 PM

So, no other auto maker is susceptible to this problem? Or is it just that Toyota's are the desirable vehicle.
I would imagine the latter.

donniegood 12-03-2019 01:45 PM

Another reason to stick with a traditional key.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scanny 12-03-2019 01:46 PM

As far as I understood primary theft targets are trucks with start button, but I guess if you keep keyfob in the second floor bedroom you should be relatively protected...

tyler2019 12-03-2019 02:44 PM

Was also going to share the article.
I'm on 24th floor of my apt and the trucks in the underground garage fortunately.

sicnarfone 12-03-2019 03:11 PM

Based on this article: Car Keyless Entry Systems May Invite Relay Attacks, companies like Audi, BMW, Ford and VW (used to be vulnerable to relay attacks) are issuing motion-detector key fobs in order to combat relay attacks. If the fob has not been moved for a period of time, then it will automatically shut down. Other companies that are vulnerable to the attack includes Honda, Hyundai, Kia, Volvo, Peugeot and Renault.

Source: Keyless entry leaves bestselling car models vulnerable to theft - CNN

Hopefully, Toyota and Lexus fix this soon.

Mutant138 12-03-2019 03:44 PM

One of several good reasons to get one with a key.

llDemonll 12-03-2019 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdruss (Post 3402512)
So, no other auto maker is susceptible to this problem? Or is it just that Toyota's are the desirable vehicle.
I would imagine the latter.

The lady in the article (if that's what you're referencing) just doesn't understand how the technology works. Buying a different car isn't going to make her immune to this, it's not a Toyota-specific problem.

Toyota parts are available easily world-wide which makes their incentive larger.

sicnarfone 12-03-2019 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by llDemonll (Post 3402659)
The lady in the article (if that's what you're referencing) just doesn't understand how the technology works. Buying a different car isn't going to make her immune to this, it's not a Toyota-specific problem.

Toyota parts are available easily world-wide which makes their incentive larger.

Jaguar and Land Rover do tend to be more impervious to relay attacks. Maybe that's what the author was referring to. But you are also right. Toyota and Lexus is larger. I believe the article was written by a male too.

IanB 12-03-2019 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyler2019 (Post 3402594)
Was also going to share the article.
I'm on 24th floor of my apt and the trucks in the underground garage fortunately.

That's better than the truck being outside in a surface level lot where anyone could just walk up to it.

Rack 12-03-2019 06:06 PM

Look into a "Faraday bag" it blocks the signal from the key fob.

I purchased two of these from amazon for my wife's Subaru Outback. She has keyless push button start.

I'm old school, give me a Key and some control knobs like in my 2011 4R
and I'm good to go.

MGordo 12-03-2019 06:13 PM

A friend that works at a Lexus dealership was sent a letter with a few steps to prevent the relay trick with keyless entry:

Press unlock button on fob twice while pressing and holding lock button. Confirm that the electronic key indicator flashes 4 times.

Apparently this cancels smart entry/start. Hit any button on the remote and it works again so no one else can steal it unless they have the key.