Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Fluid film in engine bay (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/280354-fluid-film-engine-bay.html)

TheShowtime 12-04-2019 06:33 PM

Fluid film in engine bay

Hey guys I have some surface rust in my engine bay. I was wondering if it would be safe to spray some fluid film in the engine bay. Some of the parts that are rusted have electrical wire on top of the rusted parts. Seeing if it’s safe to spray there.

brillo_76 12-04-2019 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheShowtime (Post 3403475)
Hey guys I have some surface rust in my engine bay. I was wondering if it would be safe to spray some fluid film in the engine bay. Some of the parts that are rusted have electrical wire on top of the rusted parts. Seeing if it’s safe to spray there.

I try to keep away from exhaust manifold. However, I have most of my engine bay coated in Fluid Film.

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

TheShowtime 12-04-2019 07:13 PM

Oh that’s great. Thanks for helping Brillo!

Kanoe 12-04-2019 08:02 PM

On the other hand, fluid film is rather sticky and persistent for the engine bay which doesn't see that much road spray. I would think you would curse it every time you had to work in there.

You might consider something less messy like WD-40 or even the motorcyclists favourite ACF 50. I coated my motorcycle in ACF50 last winter for storage and it is a nice product which doesn't make a mess. Good enough for the engine bay, maybe not for the frame.

jbtvt 12-04-2019 11:04 PM

I use bar and chain oil, but same diff. Most (all?) oils are non conductive and will only benefit existing electrical connections by preventing corrosion. But yea, keep away from anything exhaust.

brillo_76 12-04-2019 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kanoe (Post 3403531)
On the other hand, fluid film is rather sticky and persistent for the engine bay which doesn't see that much road spray. I would think you would curse it every time you had to work in there.

You might consider something less messy like WD-40 or even the motorcyclists favourite ACF 50. I coated my motorcycle in ACF50 last winter for storage and it is a nice product which doesn't make a mess. Good enough for the engine bay, maybe not for the frame.

Valid point. I just wipe it off. As the dust mostly sucks the moisture out of it.

But I even put FF on my hood, tailgate and doors [ of course not the glass]

You should see how the water beads on the hood..lol

brillo_76 12-04-2019 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbtvt (Post 3403640)
I use bar and chain oil, but same diff. Most (all?) oils are non conductive and will only benefit existing electrical connections by preventing corrosion. But yea, keep away from anything exhaust.

I heard of lots of folks using that. :)

jbtvt 12-04-2019 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brillo_76 (Post 3403659)
I heard of lots of folks using that. :)

:thumb: Ultimate oil undercoating guide (DIY Waxoyl)

brillo_76 12-05-2019 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbtvt (Post 3403665)

Yes my one buddy says it smells like old pee. Lol

I only smell half is good as he can. So it doesn't bother me.

I am sure if you wanted something that dries I go towards the Cosmoline based.

I am seeing how long it lasts on my hood at the moment. So far it's been few weeks.

The non drying let's it creep. It's one of the few coatings I seen go against gravity.

The smell seems to go away alot quicker then transmission fluid.

I guess folks just have want works the best for them and that want matters as long as what they use seals off the steel and displaces water it will work. :)

dogtail 12-05-2019 10:17 AM

I spray WD-40 in my engine bay, but I also do a rustproofing spray of WD-40 on everything else. Just let it drip off and evaporate a couple hours before starting it up, it will smoke for a bit.

brillo_76 12-05-2019 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dogtail (Post 3403862)
I spray WD-40 in my engine bay, but I also do a rustproofing spray of WD-40 on everything else. Just let it drip off and evaporate a couple hours before starting it up, it will smoke for a bit.

You have had excellent results with WD-40. ;) works very well. :D

dogtail 12-05-2019 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brillo_76 (Post 3403863)
You have had excellent results with WD-40. ;) works very well. :D

They should sponsor me with all the free advertising I give them.

TheShowtime 12-05-2019 03:36 PM

So I know it’s safe to spray over electrical wires with fluid film but what about the rubber hoses? Fluid film says it’s ok to spray over oil resistant rubber. Are the rubber hoses in the engine bay oil resistant?

brillo_76 12-05-2019 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dogtail (Post 3403873)
They should sponsor me with all the free advertising I give them.

Lol . I agree at least enough free WD-40 for each years coating.... You know I am glad that works for you. I almost cant stand that smell.. lol. Its amazing how everyone is so unique. And my Hood is still beading the water off for 3 weeks now. I curious how long it will keep doing that. We shall see.

brillo_76 12-05-2019 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheShowtime (Post 3404065)
So I know it’s safe to spray over electrical wires with fluid film but what about the rubber hoses? Fluid film says it’s ok to spray over oil resistant rubber. Are the rubber hoses in the engine bay oil resistant?

I believe the vacuum lines in the engine bay are gasoline resistant. Will not hurt the insulation on the wires. When I do mine engine bay I focus on the front clip and inner fenders then the firewall. If metal is starting to rust I give it a coat.