Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Going down to a 245/65R17 Tire Size (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/280357-going-down-245-65r17-tire-size.html)

josephp732 12-04-2019 08:19 PM

Going down to a 245/65R17 Tire Size

Has anybody gone down to a 245/65R17 XL (51psi) grand touring all-season tire - (I would use factory 17"x7" TRD wheels)? I have a 2019 TRD Off Road that is my daily driver, I commute ~100 miles each day with 90% highway driving with a lot of stop and go.

My thought process is that I would be dropping 2" in diameter and about 10 pounds of un-sprung weight, this tire would also have stiffer sidewalls, making the truck handle a little better, accelerate and brake better while staying very close to the factory tire load rating, 2,403lbs vs the factory 2,535lbs.

I would just bolt-on off road wheels and tires when needed on the week-ends.

llDemonll 12-04-2019 08:37 PM

no. if you need MPG buy a car that gets better mpg. you won't even notice the change.

Anand 12-04-2019 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by llDemonll (Post 3403548)
no. if you need MPG buy a car that gets better mpg. you won't even notice the change.

I'm going to have to agree with this...

You will drop some unsprung weight at each corner, however, you'll also be raising the cruising RPM by ~7%. Realistically, I don't think you'll see any better fuel economy out of it.

josephp732 12-04-2019 09:20 PM

It's not about MPG's, it's about make the TRD Off Road handle and perform a little bit better on my commute, dropping 1lbs of un-sprung rotating mass (such as a wheel, tire or brake rotor) is equivalent of losing up to 20lbs of overall sprung weight. This change also makes the suspension work easier.

I did this on a 2017 Honda Ridgeline and it greatly increased handling and performance, the difference being I kept the same size diameter tires. Yes I agree the RPM's will increase by about ~7 percent or about 150 RPM's at about 60mph.

Dillusion 12-04-2019 09:58 PM

Toyota makes the Prius.

jackjoachim 12-04-2019 10:23 PM

Why not just upgrade the shocks/springs instead to improve the overall handling?

Anand 12-04-2019 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackjoachim (Post 3403615)
Why not just upgrade the shocks/springs instead to improve the overall handling?

This is headed down the right direction.... A set of Dobinsons shocks or Bilstein 5100s will massively help the ride quality, and pairing with a slightly stiffer spring (Dobinsons C59-238) will make it even better. You'd be surprised how much dive/roll can be improved with a very mild suspension change on these trucks.

pDubs 12-04-2019 11:32 PM

https://media.tenor.com/images/451aa...9323/tenor.gif

Moltenburn 12-05-2019 12:06 AM

Just buy a used yaris if you want to improve the driving dynamics. This is a truck not a economy car.

sn_85 12-05-2019 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by josephp732 (Post 3403576)
It's not about MPG's, it's about make the TRD Off Road handle and perform a little bit better on my commute, dropping 1lbs of un-sprung rotating mass (such as a wheel, tire or brake rotor) is equivalent of losing up to 20lbs of overall sprung weight. This change also makes the suspension work easier.

I did this on a 2017 Honda Ridgeline and it greatly increased handling and performance, the difference being I kept the same size diameter tires. Yes I agree the RPM's will increase by about ~7 percent or about 150 RPM's at about 60mph.

You have 3 2019 4Runners. I'm sure you can use one as a guinea pig. I just think it's stupid to downsize tires from the stock size and it would look pretty ridiculous too. Either way do what you want, it's your 4Runner.

honda250xtitan 12-05-2019 01:47 AM

ok boomer.

Did i do that right?

why would anyone want to commute that much in a 4runner? Have you seen the interiors of trucks these days????

Mass 4runner 12-05-2019 02:39 AM

It's a demented idea and will make you and your truck look ridiculous. Please post pics when done.

1jzgte 12-05-2019 02:57 AM

Using figures from Michelin Defender LTX
245/65R17
overall diameter 29.5"
revs per mile 704
weight 34 lbs

265/70R17
overall diameter 31.6"
revs per mile 659
weight 39 lbs

The revs per mile is probably why you THINK youre getting way better mpg. The difference of 5 lbs is huge on the way a vehicle handles but the 4runner isnt meant to corner like a sports car.

consider this tire instead
255/75R17
overall diameter 32"
revs per mile 649
weight 38lbs

save a lb, reduce the mileage on the odo and get a 1/2 inch lift

tm965 12-05-2019 09:23 AM

http://images.memes.com/meme/428882

josephp732 12-05-2019 10:47 AM

Thanks for all the constructive criticism. I guess I need to set the back-drop. I used to commute, in NJ, switching between a 2017 Honda Ridgeline and a 2018 Nissan Titan XD so driving in a larger truck is no big deal.

The Ridgeline's lease was up so it was turned in. While commuting in my Titan XD I was rear-ended by a semi in stop and go traffic and the truck was totaled by the insurance company.

Mean-while early this summer I picked-up a 2019 4Runner Limited down in FL for use when my wife and I go down there a few months out of the year - my kids all go to school in Tampa so we visit often. We really like the 4Runner and she does a decent job of towing my boat.

This fall we decided to get another 4Runner Limited as my wife's daily driver in NJ, to replace her 2015 Ford Expedition. Down sizing as the last kid just started college.

So, back to my situation with my Titan XD totaled I needed to get a replacement commuter something.... Off to the Toyota dealership - I was sort of thinking about getting a car - test drove the TRD Camry - interesting vehicle... then the dealerships GM came over and told me they had one 2019 leftover 4Runner and he would give me a good deal on it.

They pulled the black TRD Off Road to the front of the showroom, I did a test drive - (confirmed what I had read about on this forum that the TRD has some nose dive), dealership offered me the TRD at $32k out the door including tax and tags - MSRP was $42k. So I did the deal.

As for the TRD as my commuter truck, I need to get some better highway manners out of the TRD for the type of driving that I am doing.

My goal was to reduce the sidewall flex that the factory tires have, get a little better acceleration and better braking. One of the easiest way's I know to do this is to reduce rotational mass and un-sprung weight. I will probably change out the shocks and struts/springs, as Anand recommends, when the spring rolls around to help with the nose dive.

I am "blacking-out" the TRD anyway so I figured I would go with the 17" black Toyota SEMA TRD wheels (only weighs 25lbs) and a lighter, stiffer and smaller diameter tire to drop un-sprung weight and control rotational mass. I was looking at XL tires like the Vredestein Quatrac 5 in 245/65/17 - a good load rating, 32lbs in weight, stiff sidewalls, 29.5" diameter. The new wheel & tire combination would be over 10lbs lighter on each corner - that's a solid improvement.

The Vredestein Quatrac 5's have very good reviews and only come in at $550 for the set, I figured not a lot of money to try this out - considering I was going to buy the TRD rims anyway. Another option is to go with a 265/65R17 tire like the Michelin Premier LTX at 33lbs and 30.3" in diameter, it's biggest draw back is price and low tread life, but I did have this tire on my Ridgeline and it's a very solid performing street truck tire.

Don't kill me in this thread - I am just thinking through some of this in real-time and trying to solve for my situation.