Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   96 rear hatch window only rolls halfway up. (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/280462-96-rear-hatch-window-only-rolls-halfway-up.html)

Ruedger556 12-07-2019 10:34 PM

96 rear hatch window only rolls halfway up.

So today I went out to grab something from my 4runner and rolled the back window down via the key, well when i went to roll it back up it would only go halfway then just stop. I can roll it down and back to halfway but that's it. What could be the issue? And anyone have any good tricks for removing the panel?

brillo_76 12-07-2019 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruedger556 (Post 3405353)
So today I went out to grab something from my 4runner and rolled the back window down via the key, well when i went to roll it back up it would only go halfway then just stop. I can roll it down and back to halfway but that's it. What could be the issue? And anyone have any good tricks for removing the panel?

The gasket in the track good?

The cover panel comes right off via clips but I believe one bolt especially if it has a strap handle on it to pull it back down. That's on the passenger side. You see a little square cover over it. Some have the handle and others dont.

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

Jhn102467 01-21-2020 07:45 PM

Hi. I am new here. I just read this after trying to find someone that has the same problem I do. This one is close. I have a 2013 SR5 that has an awe full rust issue in the tailgate. My 4Runner has 75k miles on it. The tailgate is so rusted inside it the window harness rusted away. I bought a new one from Toyota and put it in myself. The window goes down, but when I put it up, it gets to the top and goes back down. I can’t put it up all the way as for it to stay up and work properly. I can slowly put it up far enough to be closed, but it knows it’s not closed all the way so it won’t let the wiper work or the defrost.

How do I reset the coil inside that puts the window up and down? to alien it. Please contact me at [email protected]. Thank you for anyone’s help.

TheSaturnV 01-21-2020 10:28 PM

Is it stopping in the exact place every time on the way up?

I had a similar issue, where I could roll the glass down but it was anybody's guess if I could get the thing to go back up. Eventually I just quit using it. I just found out a few days ago that I had 3 or 4 broken wires in the harness that goes from the truck into the tail gate (rubber boot at the top left).

It's very easy to pull back the boot, I'd at least check there to start.

I_bRAD 01-22-2020 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jhn102467 (Post 3428991)
Hi. I am new here. I just read this after trying to find someone that has the same problem I do. This one is close. I have a 2013 SR5 that has an awe full rust issue in the tailgate. My 4Runner has 75k miles on it. The tailgate is so rusted inside it the window harness rusted away. I bought a new one from Toyota and put it in myself. The window goes down, but when I put it up, it gets to the top and goes back down. I can’t put it up all the way as for it to stay up and work properly. I can slowly put it up far enough to be closed, but it knows it’s not closed all the way so it won’t let the wiper work or the defrost.

How do I reset the coil inside that puts the window up and down? to alien it. Please contact me at [email protected]. Thank you for anyone’s help.

You're in the 3rd gen section (up to 2002) so yours likely works differently. Does that truck have an "auto up" feature for the rear window? If it does, it sounds like a hall sensor needs to be recalibrated. It probably thinks there's an obstruction when it gets to the top. This is just a guess as I've never worked on a 5th gen.

PS you might want to edit your personal email out of your response unless you like getting email from lots of new 'friends'!