Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Stress fracture (Inner side fender) (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/280530-stress-fracture-inner-side-fender.html)

Xtremluck 12-09-2019 03:42 PM

Stress fracture (Inner side fender)

Hi Friends,

Wanted to get some thoughts on a new issue I discovered over the weekend while working on the rig. After just about 4 years and thousands of miles off road (Many on rough corrugated tracks). I've developed a pretty nasty stress fracture on my passenger side inner fender sheetmetal. I've been using a 4x4labs compressor mount that attaches with three bolts (Two on the fender and one on the bottom right above the wheel well).

The weight of the compressor seems to have been a bit much. I temporarily stop drilled the tip of the crack to prevent it from spreading but I'm sure it will get worse. I know a lot of folks mount compressors and batteries in the same place and I'm sure have had similar experiences. Have you all found a remedy for our paper thin sheetmetal?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...e1f2808546.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T4R2014 12-09-2019 04:30 PM

That's kind of the nature of aftermarket parts. You'd need to weld in reinforcement from the back before welding it back up.

Inv4drZm 12-09-2019 04:40 PM

Early FJ Cruisers had a similar issue, they called it fender bulging and even stock FJ's developed the bulge. I guess Toyota fixed the issue down the line.

mesooohoppy 12-09-2019 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xtremluck (Post 3406135)
Have you all found a remedy for our paper thin sheetmetal?k

easy. mount it to something better/more solid.

nb rob 12-09-2019 05:00 PM

Frame/chassis problem- crack in fender well

this came up a few years ago. I've avoided a heavier battery recently, keeping that thread in mind.

It's the other side, but the problem is similar

Xtremluck 12-09-2019 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T4R2014 (Post 3406163)
That's kind of the nature of aftermarket parts. You'd need to weld in reinforcement from the back before welding it back up.

Yup, I started thinking about that. Just welding it back together will only give temporary reprieve until it inevitably fails again. If I repair it I will definitely reinforce it somehow.

Xtremluck 12-09-2019 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mesooohoppy (Post 3406177)
easy. mount it to something better/more solid.

Hah, yeah that is probably going to be the ultimate solve eventually.

Xtremluck 12-09-2019 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nb rob (Post 3406181)
Frame/chassis problem- crack in fender well

this came up a few years ago. I've avoided a heavier battery recently, keeping that thread in mind.

It's the other side, but the problem is similar

Yup, I remember seeing that way back when. It's the reason I went with a pretty small second battery. Luckily mine hasn't cracked there yet!

rochmpr 12-09-2019 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xtremluck (Post 3406135)
Hi Friends,

Wanted to get some thoughts on a new issue I discovered over the weekend while working on the rig. After just about 4 years and thousands of miles off road (Many on rough corrugated tracks). I've developed a pretty nasty stress fracture on my passenger side inner fender sheetmetal. I've been using a 4x4labs compressor mount that attaches with three bolts (Two on the fender and one on the bottom right above the wheel well).

The weight of the compressor seems to have been a bit much. I temporarily stop drilled the tip of the crack to prevent it from spreading but I'm sure it will get worse. I know a lot of folks mount compressors and batteries in the same place and I'm sure have had similar experiences. Have you all found a remedy for our paper thin sheetmetal?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...e1f2808546.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What mount is that? I had the same issue with my twin ARB mount due to the design. I ended up having to add additional supports and another mounting point to stabilize the mount. Details are in my build thread somewhere.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

rochmpr 12-09-2019 11:12 PM

Here's the link

Hope this helps.