Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   4th Gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Headlights just went out (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/280560-headlights-just-went-out.html)

Morphyne 12-10-2019 08:47 AM

Headlights just went out

Ok so here's my deal. My foglights dont work, but i thought (and still do) that I pulled the wrong fuse when disabling the rear compressor. However, a long standing issue has been when lateral shaking happens (i.e. going over rough train tracks side ways) the car loses power. Now the headlights just quit. Am I looking at a bad switch in the column? I have very little electrical knowledge of these things. any help would be appreciated.

JVC8790 12-10-2019 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morphyne (Post 3406504)
Ok so here's my deal. My foglights dont work, but i thought (and still do) that I pulled the wrong fuse when disabling the rear compressor. However, a long standing issue has been when lateral shaking happens (i.e. going over rough train tracks side ways) the car loses power. Now the headlights just quit. Am I looking at a bad switch in the column? I have very little electrical knowledge of these things. any help would be appreciated.

I'd look at battery cables, specifically where they attach to the alternator/battery and grounds. I had some weird issues and it turns out the positive post on the alternator had rusted almost all the way through and then was causing weird voltage changes and intermittent issues.

I would also check wiring plugs as you mentioned, have you had any of the underdash stuff apart to run wiring or anything since the issue started?

Morphyne 12-10-2019 04:10 PM

Thanks. I didnt think about the alternator. I'll climb under there and check it out.

JVC8790 12-10-2019 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morphyne (Post 3406814)
Thanks. I didnt think about the alternator. I'll climb under there and check it out.

Also check grounds, if something isn't grounding properly it can do some real wonky stuff.

Morphyne 12-24-2019 09:45 AM

Oddly enough. It was just bulbs. I guess my wife had one out and I didnt know it and finally the other went out.