Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   4th Gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Going back to a 4th gen (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/280679-going-back-4th-gen.html)

jminz 12-12-2019 09:36 AM

Going back to a 4th gen

Sold my 4th gen a year ago and have been kicking myself ever since. I'm looking to buy another.

I had a 2006 sport V8 previously. Im seeing a lot of base SR5 models for sale. I'm really not interested in the xreas suspension. Besides larger brakes what else did the sport have that the SR5 does not? I see most have manual seats but some also have leather and electric seats.

Sports are nearly impossible to find in my price range so I'm thinking the SR5 is a good alternative. Would like the 06+ due to fender flares.

jminz 12-12-2019 09:43 AM

Did a little digging and was actually able to answer my own question. Funny how that works...

Sport also comes with tune steps, hood scoop, color keyed Mirrors and a few other things.

So let me rephrase my question. For someone who is browsing the used 4th gen market for a vehicle that is 13+ years old, does getting an SR5 make more sense vs the sport who has potentially failing/leaking xreas?

apohl17 12-12-2019 09:43 AM

Right on! The 4th gen crowd wants you back, could always use another build thread :banana:

Sport features:

- X-REAS suspension
- unique 6-spoke 17" wheels (SR5 has optional 5-spoke 17" rims)
- 17" white-letter outline tires
- silver roof rails (optional in black on the SR5)
- silver bumper trim (compared to body-colored on SR5)
- color-keyed, heated mirrors
- hood scoop (non-functional)
- dark charcoal cloth interior (stone and taupe on SR5)
- silver-trimmed shift knob
- telescopic steering wheel
- leather-wrapped steering wheel with audio controls (optional on SR5)

Info from this thread:
SR5 vs. Sport Edition

AceSpades 12-12-2019 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jminz (Post 3407892)
does getting an SR5 make more sense vs the sport who has potentially failing/leaking xreas?

You can eliminate the xreas

81runner 12-12-2019 01:35 PM

You can also upgrade the brakes to sport edition or even 5th gen brakes which are beefier still if you have 17" rims. Love my sr5, less stuff I needed to remove to make it awesome. Xreas is very limiting if you plan to lift and off road with it.

Inv4drZm 12-12-2019 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 81runner (Post 3408085)
Xreas is very limiting if you plan to lift and off road with it.

How is it limiting? As far as I know it has the same travel as SR5, same sway bars. Couple of extra parts to remove if you want to replace with bigger shocks. Aftermarket springs will work with either, and they make spacer lifts for both.

81runner 12-12-2019 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inv4drZm (Post 3408095)
How is it limiting? As far as I know it has the same travel as SR5, same sway bars. Couple of extra parts to remove if you want to replace with bigger shocks. Aftermarket springs will work with either, and they make spacer lifts for both.

I suppose it's a matter of opinion. Some people don't like lifting with spacers, in which case you'd need to completely remove the xreas for different shocks.

Neil McCauley 12-12-2019 02:36 PM

Feel the same way about my old one. Every hill in my 2019 seems like a big effort. My wife even commented "why is it making that noise?" The V8 would fuss less towing boats uphill.

Mantilgh 12-12-2019 02:53 PM

Going back to a 4th gen

I’d say either way it will probably need new struts/shocks.

Removing the extra Xreas parts will only make the process slightly more annoying. You could basically just remove the soft lines and leave the rest if you wanted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wsgoat 12-12-2019 03:05 PM

Seems like the 4th gen just doesn't get the love that the other gens get.....I personally think the 4th is "the best gen". I wouldn't limit my search to a specific trim level, a clean, lower mileage, stock vehicle would be on my radar over the trim. As others have mentioned, the xreas is easily replaced if it craps out or you prefer a different strut/shock setup. I've always liked the mono-chromatic, body-colored accents on the sport....to me, it just looks better!

hinmo24t 12-12-2019 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wsgoat (Post 3408164)
Seems like the 4th gen just doesn't get the love that the other gens get.....I personally think the 4th is "the best gen". I wouldn't limit my search to a specific trim level, a clean, lower mileage, stock vehicle would be on my radar over the trim. As others have mentioned, the xreas is easily replaced if it craps out or you prefer a different strut/shock setup. I've always liked the mono-chromatic, body-colored accents on the sport....to me, it just looks better!

same. i wouldnt even want a 5th gen at all because of the v6 in them to weight and modded weight ratio. love my 4.0 v6

TLChip 12-12-2019 05:23 PM

I don't think it'll matter which you buy if the suspension hasn't be replaced yet it will be due soon, even a 2008 is 11 years old at this point

rwelch53 12-12-2019 05:47 PM

Keep in mind also that a lot of SR5's were optioned out quite well from order. For instance, my 06 SR5 came with leather interior and steering wheel, and upgraded stereo (not the top of line JBL though) with steering wheel controls. I like the fact that there is less "computer stuff" to go wrong LOL, and at the age and miles that most have you are going to most likely be replacing suspension and brakes anyway, so you can upgrade those to your liking, as others above mentioned.

jminz 12-13-2019 10:25 AM

Thanks for all the input. My last 4th gen was a V8. This time around I'm looking at both. Seems the v6 is just as reliable. I will opt for the v8 if I can find one. They are pretty common on the 03-05 models in my area.

eleven14 12-13-2019 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jminz (Post 3408575)
Thanks for all the input. My last 4th gen was a V8. This time around I'm looking at both. Seems the v6 is just as reliable. I will opt for the v8 if I can find one. They are pretty common on the 03-05 models in my area.

Stick to '06 and up if you go the V6 route to avoid potential head gasket issues. Plenty of clean trucks out there if you're persistent...