Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Molle or modular storage panel load outs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/280849-molle-modular-storage-panel-load-outs.html)

Big Daddy K 12-17-2019 10:58 AM

Molle or modular storage panel load outs

I know these storage systems are somewhat polarizing among the crowd but I thought it would be cool/ useful to have a thread with pics and descriptions of what panels people are running and what they have mounted to them. It may help some people decide if they want to invest in the panels and what works or doesn't work on them.

I currently have a set of BPF panels sitting in a box since I haven't had time to dedicate to mounting them and figuring out what all will go on them.
My plan is to have a vehicle side and a camping side. I have a trunk organizer that takes up valuable floor space that I want to get rid of. I don't have a solid plan for compressor and tools, but I have a few ideas. I would love to do my OBA like @LOLSNOW did with his build. Super clean and well thought out. I hope to reduce my tools to a respectable sized tool roll that I can strap down.

My plans, that could all change once theory meets reality, are-

Camping side- paper towels, trash bags, hammock/tarp, down blanket, some camp cooking items, flashlight.

Vehicle side- recovery strap, shackles, ratchet straps, bungees, small axe, jump pack, tire repair kit, gloves.

Things in my organizer that are not accounted for- compressor, tools, nuts/and bolts, fluids, receiver recovery point.

I should add a fire extinguisher, but I may want that more accessible. I carry my deflators, survival kit and boo-boo kit up front but that may change.

Big Daddy K 12-17-2019 10:59 AM

Molle or modular storage panel load outs

So, the madness begins.

These are Bullet Proof Fabricating panels. Thank you BFP for not riveting the bottle opener on them anymore.

We’ll call this V1 since I’m sure this will be a fluid project.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...60a4360234.jpg

Drivers side. Strap, shackles, gloves, axe, leatherman, spare lug nuts, few nuts/bolts. Still need to mount my jump pack and some other items.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...ea80fb67b4.jpg

Passenger side. Kelty tarp, paper towels, wash rag, trash bags...ran out of time. I have a lot I want to add. The grey pouch is completely empty and the brown one has lots of space. This I plan to have mostly camping/convenience items on this side.

Here was my starting point. Yes, the trunk bag was normally strapped in.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...186dbaf574.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...981f4d300c.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...e0dae2869d.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...1b014164d8.jpg

nglayton 12-18-2019 01:00 AM

There's at least one other thread with some of this info

Big Daddy K 12-18-2019 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nglayton (Post 3410984)

whoops, I swear I searched... I may have ran across it at one point and forgot.

Heavy_GD 12-18-2019 11:25 AM

https://media1.giphy.com/media/Fs6s0yL6i7tja/giphy.gif

ProfessorP 12-18-2019 12:38 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Honestly, I don't understand why the molle storage panels are so polarizing. If you own them and actually use them to store useful gear, then they're great. If you own them and only hang cool stuff up for looks, then they're either great because they look cool TO YOU or they're a waste of money that you will eventually regret. Then there's those that don't own them and can't possibly understand why anyone would ever own something so useless. This last group probably owns a 2wd 4Runner or never actually takes their Off Road T4 off the pavement.

Don't judge whatever I find useful and I won't judge your setup.

I'll go ahead and add some photos of my Victory 4x4 molle storage panels. They are made of powder coated steel.

On the Driver Side:
Orange recovery gear bag containing:
Snatch strap
Winch dampener
Tow strap/tree saver

Bungee cords (storage only they don't support or attach the orange bag to the panel).

Military style folding shovel (in camo pouch)

I welded the expanded steel basket and bolted it to the panel. It contains...
Blue Dyneema rope
Kayak lashing straps
Hood T-straps to secure front end of Kayak
Cheap Poly Rope

None of this stuff makes any sense to carry around unless you go off road frequently. WE DO!

ProfessorP 12-18-2019 12:46 PM

8 Attachment(s)
Victory 4x4 Molle storage panels continued

Passenger side:

Hi-Lift jack base. Works great under the factory jack when off road and you get a flat, but don't need to use the Hi-Lift.

Black molle pouch containing my Warn winch corded remote.

Cheap Gray shooting bag from Wal Mart containing:
Soft shackles
2nd tree saver
Snatch blocks
Variety of driver bits and driver bit tools.

The stainless steel hook keeps the gray bag from drooping and helps take some strain off the molle straps on the back.

If I take all of that crap off both panels and toss it on the floor of the rear cargo area, I won't have much room for anything else especially on long family road trips. Never mind the hazard of driving around with a lot of loose gear.

With the molle panels I don't have to load the car up every time I go off road. Sometimes 1-3 times per week or more. I'm also always ready to lend a helping hand to other motorists on a daily basis.

d1nguyen 12-18-2019 01:15 PM

What bolt and nut size/rating are you guys using? I have panels up but adding restraints to secure everything. I have the victory 4x4 panels.

jahdai42 12-18-2019 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProfessorP (Post 3411151)
Honestly, I don't understand why the molle storage panels are so polarizing. If you own them and actually use them to store useful gear, then they're great. If you own them and only hang cool stuff up for looks, then they're either great because they look cool TO YOU or they're a waste of money that you will eventually regret. Then there's those that don't own them and can't possibly understand why anyone would ever own something so useless. This last group probably owns a 2wd 4Runner or never actually takes their Off Road T4 off the pavement.

I'll go ahead and add some photos of my Victory 4x4 molle storage panels. They are made of powder coated steel.

On the Driver Side:
Snatch strap
Winch dampener
Tow strap/tree saver

Bungee cords (storage only they don't support or attach the orange bag to the panel).

Blue Dyneema rope
Kayak lashing straps
Cheap Poly Rope

None of this stuff makes any sense to carry around unless you go off road frequently. WE DO!

Where did you get the expanded steel basket? Just saw that you made it. very nice.

mrblah 12-18-2019 04:06 PM

Setup: Rago Panels w/ CHeapo ammo/utility pouches

Driver side:
1. AIFAK
2. Rope bag: snatch strap
3. dump pouch: bungies/tie downs
4. misc pouch: Fridge tie down
5. misc pouch: ratchet strap for roof rack

Passenger side:
1.misc pouch: Tire repair/plug kit
2.misc pouch:Winch remote
3.misc pouch: Tire gauge/tube for compressor
4. frag pouch: tire gauge
5. arb deflator/staun deflator.

Globetrotter78 12-18-2019 05:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I am running 2 Victory4x4 MOLLE panels. I love these things! Our Runners have a surprising lack of storage cubbies for such a versatile vehicle that I view these as practically NECESSARY!

Left Panel:

Collapsible shovel/axe
Fire Extinguisher
Indiv First Aid Kit (IFAK)
Shackles
30' Tow Strap
Hammock and strapping
Carabiners/Tie downs
Emergency strobe light

Right Panel: (not pictured)

LED Lantern
Extension cord (quite handy!)
Sawtooth Machete
ARB Delfator/Gauge
Paper Towel holder
...space for more still...

Globetrotter78 12-18-2019 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProfessorP (Post 3411153)
Victory 4x4 Molle storage panels continued

To free up some space on the panel (just a suggestion to consider) Ive seen another forum member attach a mounting bolt through the side plastic paneling BELOW the drivers MOLLE panel and bolt the giant hi lift plate there. Still out of the way, still secured but now more space on the MOLLE.

JAXJeremy 12-18-2019 05:37 PM

seeing this thread is making me reconsider..I've been on the fence about these and don't really use my 4R for offroading, so I need to think what kind of things I'd put up there.

Big Daddy K 12-18-2019 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProfessorP (Post 3411151)

On the Driver Side:
Snatch strap
Winch dampener
Tow strap/tree saver

Blue Dyneema rope
Kayak lashing straps
Cheap Poly Rope

Great use of space. I ordered a few molle bags that appear to be good sizes for a lot of what I want to hold.
I'm not sure why some people hate these so much, I suppose some people complain just to complain or value their opinion very highly.

Globetrotter78 12-18-2019 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAXJeremy (Post 3411335)
seeing this thread is making me reconsider..I've been on the fence about these and don't really use my 4R for offroading, so I need to think what kind of things I'd put up there.

Always good to have a tow strap and shackles (for you or friends in need)
Tire repair kit/flares/etc perhaps
Jump box (instead of old school cables)
bag of misc goodies
Extinguisher is always good
Bungee cords

just for starters.....