Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   2020 TRD ORP - Suspension Upgrade Options (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/280936-2020-trd-orp-suspension-upgrade-options.html)

hbrogers 12-19-2019 03:20 PM

2020 TRD ORP - Suspension Upgrade Options

I'm considering upgrading suspension on my 2020 TRD ORP and have a few different setups in mind but want opinions on what would be appropriate given the other items I'll have loaded and other accessories I'll have on it. Goal is to keep as close to stock appearance and add least amount of added weight possible. My plan is to add the following: Slee sliders, hidden winch mount, Warn Zeon 10S platinum, small flat rack (Front Runner, Rhino, Yakima, LFD, etc...), 1up 2 bike rack, aluminum skids (wondering if this is overkill).

Any info (good and bad) you have on possible suspensions setups I list would be greatly appreciated. I'm considering the following:

- Bilstein 5100s on all four corners
-set at .85"F/stock R
-set at 1.75"F/1"R spring

- Bilstein 6112F/5100R
-set at 1.75"F/1"R

- Dobinson's
-no clue what to get that would be equivalent to Bilstein setups

What I'm wondering is what's the best for my intended purposes of riding trails like GA Traverse or the southeast sections of the Trans America Trail. This will also be a daily driver. Lastly I'd like to not have to invest in UCAs, diff drop, extended break lines, etc...

And yes, I know there is a search function and I have looked at a lot of threads/posts, but want specifics about the products I listed and for my intended purposes as well as other possible products that would give same or similar results.

snowpeak 12-19-2019 03:33 PM

I'm interested to hear the wisdom of the forum on this question. I have similar plans in mind, and considering the 5100s or 6112s but I also want to make sure with the added weight of my mods that I'm purchasing the right suspension components. Daily driver as well!

Can I tack on one question? MUST I replace the rear spring if rear adjustable shocks are set to 1"?

hbrogers 12-19-2019 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowpeak (Post 3411762)
I'm interested to hear the wisdom of the forum on this question. I have similar plans in mind, and considering the 5100s or 6112s but I also want to make sure with the added weight of my mods that I'm purchasing the right suspension components. Daily driver as well!

Can I tack on one question? MUST I replace the rear spring if rear adjustable shocks are set to 1"?

Given my limited knowledge and from what I've read, I believe the rear shocks aren't adjustable. You'd just need specific spring to give you desired lift you're looking for.

aznxpsyko 12-19-2019 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hbrogers (Post 3411787)
Given my limited knowledge and from what I've read, I believe the rear shocks aren't adjustable. You'd just need specific spring to give you desired lift you're looking for.

That is correct. The fronts can be adjusted by the shock, but it's a PITA for the Bilsteins as you'd need to remove the assembly to adjust the snap rings. To add height to the rears, you need to upgrade the springs or add spacers.

I'm running a 6112/5100 set up and it's pretty good so far

Danthefitman 12-19-2019 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aznxpsyko (Post 3411818)
That is correct. The fronts can be adjusted by the shock, but it's a PITA for the Bilsteins as you'd need to remove the assembly to adjust the snap rings. To add height to the rears, you need to upgrade the springs or add spacers.

I'm running a 6112/5100 set up and it's pretty good so far

Same here. I have Kings, and the only adjustments I can make to the rears are the dampening on the resi's. Luckily rear springs are not all that expensive.

sicnarfone 12-19-2019 05:10 PM

I am curious to know your guys' take on 5160 vs 5100. I've read into it and understand that 5160's come with reservoir for additional oil to the shocks but at what point is it beneficial to go to 5160s from 5100. Mine is also a daily driver but do mild off-roading about twice a month.

hbrogers 12-19-2019 05:53 PM

Someone told me that the 5100s wouldn't handle all the accessories with the added weight I was planning on adding. Any opinions on that?

SKT_07 12-24-2019 02:12 PM

Subscribed, as I'm going for the 'OEM-plus look' and would like to mitigate the excessive factory rake.

Does a level/lift impact the Toyota Safety Sense (TSS) or Active Cruise Control (ACC) on the '20 4Runners?

I've heard that lifted Tacoma's are having issues...

tacoyota 12-24-2019 02:25 PM

You are adding quite a bit of equipment up front. I recommend going with a 2.5 inch shock up front to control and dampening. Icon/King/Fox 2.5 up front with dobinson or eibach springs front and 2.0 shocks with custom lift/rate dobinson in rear. The eibach pro kit just came out so you might want to check that out for a step up from 5100s as well. I think they are still $700 right now. The 5160's tend to leak. If you are going to fork over cash, its better to skip the upper tier bilstein and use top tier name brand shocks. As for the lift height, most people seem to be fine lifting the front 2.5 inches on stock UCA's. You may want to just lift 2 inches to be safe if you want to keep a good caster degree to prevent squirrely driving if it is your DD. Hope this helps!

ForRun 12-24-2019 02:37 PM

Eibach is soon to release rear adjustable hieght springs. That's what I'm waiting on to get rid of the stupid drivers side lean. My 19 was off 1/2" and the 2020 leans 3/4" in the rear

FoCo-4Runner 12-24-2019 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKT_07 (Post 3413860)
I've heard that lifted Tacoma's are having issues...

Tundra’s were having the same issues. It’s was what ultimately made me decide to buy another 4Runner and pull the trigger on a 19 vs 20. I didn’t want to risk having similar problems knowing I was going to immediately lift it.

Doesn’t sound like really any issues of not though in regard to TSS. The new head unit is another story though.

ForRun 12-24-2019 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tacoyota (Post 3413866)
. The eibach pro kit just came out

Eibach just posted yesterday. It's still in R&D. Just had his donor vehicle in his shop

tacoyota 12-24-2019 03:17 PM

Oh the old original version must be the ones on sale. Yes I am totally waiting on the rear adjustable solution!

SKT_07 01-04-2020 09:39 AM

@hbrogers Any updates?

Curious on which route you are going?

hbrogers 01-06-2020 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tacoyota (Post 3413866)
You are adding quite a bit of equipment up front. I recommend going with a 2.5 inch shock up front to control and dampening. Icon/King/Fox 2.5 up front with dobinson or eibach springs front and 2.0 shocks with custom lift/rate dobinson in rear. The eibach pro kit just came out so you might want to check that out for a step up from 5100s as well. I think they are still $700 right now. The 5160's tend to leak. If you are going to fork over cash, its better to skip the upper tier bilstein and use top tier name brand shocks. As for the lift height, most people seem to be fine lifting the front 2.5 inches on stock UCA's. You may want to just lift 2 inches to be safe if you want to keep a good caster degree to prevent squirrely driving if it is your DD. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the input. I've been looking at doing the Fox 2.5 up front and 2.0 in the rear but would I be able to do just 2 inches up front? I'd really like to not have to spend more money on UCA but understand if that is a necessity. I definitely will need good caster since it's DD.