Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Has anyone had the 4.0 engine noise turn out to be an actual problem? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/280946-has-anyone-had-4-0-engine-noise-turn-out-actual-problem.html)

Horsethief 12-19-2019 07:20 PM

Has anyone had the 4.0 engine noise turn out to be an actual problem?

2013 Trail, currently at 97k miles.

I've spent hours reading all the threads on the 4.0 noises, but I just have a hard time mentally accepting that it's "normal" for a engine to sound like it has a rod knock.

I see some people say it does it sometimes, or all the time, or only until it warms up.

Mine always does it, regardless of the temperature or whether it's warmed up or not. The thing can be running for hours and sound the same as right after a 20* cold start.

I swear it didn't do it when I bought it with 79k in Feb, I probably would have ran, not walked away from it had I heard that.

Don't know what it had in it for oil when I bought it, I changed it with M1 0W20, and it made no difference. I just changed it again, this time with Valvoline full syn 0W20, and it sounds the same. 10k OCI.

Anyone have it actually turn out to be some issue?

drewsro 12-19-2019 07:29 PM

Do you have a video of the sound?

Horsethief 12-19-2019 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewsro (Post 3411929)
Do you have a video of the sound?

Yeah, on my phone. I'll try to post it later on.

Someone in one of the other threads posted a link to his YT vid that sounds just like mine.

pDubs 12-19-2019 09:09 PM

106k miles here. Same sounds you are describing

zonzin 12-20-2019 12:04 AM

See this thread:

Engine noise sounds like diesel at idle

Horsethief 12-20-2019 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zonzin (Post 3412041)

Yeah, I was looking at that earlier, and other similar threads.

Mine sounds just like the one in that video.

Jivewalker 12-20-2019 12:26 PM

Ive been driving mine since new, at 187,000 miles now. I can say without a doubt that the noise in mine gets louder the longer it is since the last oil change. I started doing 5k changes based on that. I'm sure some will disagree with the 5k OCI, but like I said, without a doubt, I hear it get noticeably louder around the 5k mark. I've used all of the mainstream oils and landed on the TGMO when I was able to get the dealer to give it to me for around $6/qt.

michalik.piotr6837 12-20-2019 02:41 PM

As long as its on warranty, I don’t care. Hope it granades right before warranty is up.

pDubs 12-20-2019 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jivewalker (Post 3412178)
Ive been driving mine since new, at 187,000 miles now. I can say without a doubt that the noise in mine gets louder the longer it is since the last oil change. I started doing 5k changes based on that. I'm sure some will disagree with the 5k OCI, but like I said, without a doubt, I hear it get noticeably louder around the 5k mark. I've used all of the mainstream oils and landed on the TGMO when I was able to get the dealer to give it to me for around $6/qt.

Do you check the oil level? Your truck may be burning oil, and the full amount you put it when changing is what is making it more quiet.

Jivewalker 12-20-2019 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pDubs (Post 3412247)
Do you check the oil level? Your truck may be burning oil, and the full amount you put it when changing is what is making it more quiet.

Doesn't use oil at all, good thought though. I have no concerns with it at this point after driving almost 200,000 miles, it's normal. There was a mechanic or engine guru on here once that said it's just the nature of the engine, something to do with tappets and roller lifters or something. He described why it makes noise and it made sense.

Horsethief 12-31-2019 06:20 PM

Ok, haha, I guess I'll just have to learn to live with it.

I changed the oil a few hundred miles ago, Valvoline full syn 0W20. No change, makes the same noises.

I saved some of the old oil for analysis, I'm going to send it to Blackstone soon.

I may bite the bullet next time and spend the $$ on the Toyota branded oil to see how that does.

Hammer0313 12-31-2019 06:33 PM

In my other engines using a thicker oil always helped with engine noise, try using a 0w30 or 5w30 next oil change and see how it goes. It’s only 1 only change, worth a shot.