Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   02 Sport leaving my garage. Anyone recommend a great car cover? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/280992-02-sport-leaving-my-garage-anyone-recommend-great-car-cover.html)

Rancho5 12-21-2019 12:43 AM

02 Sport leaving my garage. Anyone recommend a great car cover?

Bought a 2010 Matrix and she neees to go into the garage, which means the Thundercloud Sport will be parked alongside the House. I’ll drive her regularly, but I’m sure the Matrix will be driven more. I’ll put a BatteryMinder on her while she’s outside but need recommendations for a good car cover to protect her.

Any 3rd Gen specific covers you’d recommend?

photoleif 12-21-2019 12:53 AM

i looked into vehicle covers and went with a garage-in-a-box instead. i'm not 100% in love with it, but i do know that there's no rubbing on the paint and such from it.

TRD 4RNR 12-21-2019 03:56 AM

I've been using this for the last few years - purchased via Amazon:

ShelterLogic 10' x 15' x 8' All-Steel Metal Frame Peak Style Roof Instant Garage and AutoShelter with Waterproof and UV-Treated Ripstop Cover

Mantilgh 12-21-2019 09:20 AM

Car covers are good for keeping dust off of your vehicle while parked in a garage.

Outdoors they get destroyed quick and scratch the heck out of your paint but it should prevent some UV damage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jgue467 12-21-2019 11:45 AM

As several others said, inexpensive car covers will scratch paint as the material flaps somewhat in the wind.

Now I don't have one yet I've read there are some that will not scratch yet of course those I'm sure are not the cheap ebay and possibly amazon. Above all read reviews and ask questions before you buy.

Luck and enjoy that Runner. :cowboy:

Brian. 12-21-2019 12:14 PM

Worse than the scratching is the fact they trap moisture, then become a sauna on sunny days. This can/does quickly and easily destroy the clearcoat.

OP, skip the battery tender too. I spent 3 decades as a motorcycle mechanic, I've seen hundreds of batteries killed by those things when they were left plugged in full time as people over-winter their toys. I know, the advertising all claims they go into "float" mode and won't do that... you always believe advertising meant to sell you a product? Even the best of the new generation (read, not inexpensive) battery chargers can/do/have killed batteries left on full-time connections. One day a month is Plenty to keep a battery ready to go anytime you want to drive. Or, simply drive the vehicle for 30 miles or more one time a month (if you're not going 30 miles or more, don't bother to start it as you won't give the oil enough time to cook off residual water and byproduct acids from combustion, instead you just spread it around the engine ~ and prolonged idling is even Worse than not starting it).

I have 4 vehicles between 2 people here. Only 2 covered spots, though I'm working on adding 2 more. Keep the sun off the paint is the #1 thing you can do to keep it looking good, but that only postpones the inevitable. Keep a good "wax" (some sort of paint protection) on the vehicles, I'm old and like actual wax so it's something I apply every 3 months. And drive the vehicles once a month for at least 30 miles (well, that's good for non-winter states, if you're trying to drive on a day when the high is only -10f, you probably want to up the drive time by double). I use all the systems of the vehicle on those drives too, A/C, Heat, window washers, 4wd, etc... anything not used tends to deteriorate faster. I have an expensive battery charger/tender (that has a couple "restoration" functions too), I use it once a Year just as a preventative thing. Try to correct any potential damage and prolong the battery life. 8~10 years out of a battery is normal for me... well, had one car that needed one every 5~6 years lick clockwork but that was the norm for that car across all owners.

T4R2014 12-21-2019 05:45 PM

They're all kind of crap. That said, scratching my head at why a ten year old economy car gets the garage instead of a 4Runner. Defeats the purpose of the economy car.

I use a battery tender year round. My batteries work.

STI_MECE 12-21-2019 06:03 PM

Leave the car covers alone. Cleaning and waxing the car regularly is way better than covering it up.

Just because you don't drive it doesn't mean it needs to be washed and maintained. The car cover will only make things worse for you.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk