Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   Engines / Suspension / Wheels / Tires / Audio / Accessories (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/engines-suspension-wheels-tires-audio-accessories/)
-   -   Quality jumper cables, what do you carry? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/engines-suspension-wheels-tires-audio-accessories/281127-quality-jumper-cables-what-do-you-carry.html)

ElDuck 12-26-2019 09:45 PM

Quality jumper cables, what do you carry?

What are you guys carrying for jumper cables? I'm looking for a good quality set, ~25ft, 2ga..

Dillusion 12-27-2019 02:36 PM

I personally carry one of those small battery packs that can also jump your car.

Thankfully never had to use it but never saw the need in cables....yet.

I used to have a 4 gauge 20ft when I had my Tundra.

spartacus 12-27-2019 02:46 PM

I bought some from Napa a decade ago work fine the few times I've jumped other people's car.

MicMul 01-05-2020 09:42 AM

The hand-me-downs my dad passed on to me. They work.

gamefreakgc 01-14-2020 01:47 AM

Honestly, length is way more useful than brand. A 10 ft cable is much more useful than a 6 ft, 15 ft more useful than 10 ft, etc. Can't always park next to the person who needs a jump.

patkelly4370 01-14-2020 03:17 AM

I bought a set 25' with heavy duty "parrot beak" clamps about 35 years ago.
I now carry them in my 18-wheeler.
I have jump started the tractor from the reefer and the reefer from the tractor. I have jumped a tractor on the opposite side from my batteries.
I originally got them for my pickup because I could jump someone behind me.
I have diligently taken care of them over 3 decades and my Wife hasn't ruined them yet (she's abducted them several times)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

jasonh 01-28-2020 01:25 AM

I also carry a smaller jumper battery box. Sometimes it's inconvenient to angle a car to jump it directly.

Bumbo 01-28-2020 12:48 PM

Jumpers are pretty straight forward… but it is possible to get some crappy stuff.

Aside from trying to maintain a nice thick wire gauge of about 4AWG or more, I make sure its real copper wire. Not CCA (copper clad aluminum) which tends to cost a lot less.