Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Unable to program FOB/Doors not registering as open (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/281148-unable-program-fob-doors-not-registering-open.html)

cchinny 12-27-2019 11:30 AM

Unable to program FOB/Doors not registering as open

2001 4runner limited. I went to program my FOB and I cannot enter programming mode. For some reason my truck is NOT registering any doors open. My interior lights don't come on and my instrument cluster door light does not come on when any of the 5 doors are open. I work a lot on 4runners and am a little puzzled by what can be causing this. Any help greatly appreciated. My key doesn't work in the door so I really need the FOB programmed.

BoomerBob 12-27-2019 11:39 AM

Has one ever worked while you've owned it? The Limited did come with the remote door lock feature. The base and SR5 didn't.

It may be someone installed an aftermarket alarm system which requires on of their fob's or maybe you simply have a bad fuse or broken/disconnected wire.

I would definitely do something about your key not working in the doors though. Re-key or change locks.

cchinny 12-27-2019 01:05 PM

There are no modifications to the car or the alarm system. It is all stock. I gutted the interior and the dash and put it back together (didn't work before the gutting). All 2001 SR5s should have FOBs. I've never seen one without it. I've programmed probably 10 of these and this one puzzles me. Its usually the door actuator sticking, but pretty sure the car isn't recognizing the driver door open during programming.

Brian. 12-27-2019 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cchinny (Post 3414778)
All 2001 SR5s should have FOBs. I've never seen one without it.

We've been down this road before and I made the exact same statement myself.... just because You don't have experience doesn't mean it's not out there. And there are SR5's without keyless entry. Heck, my brother-in-law has a 2nd gen Tacoma without keyless (manual windows too). There are always base-model, no options vehicles out there.

Quote:

...pretty sure the car isn't recognizing the driver door open during programming.

That's most likely the problem then. If the dome lights function when switched to ON, but don't in DOOR mode, start looking into the wiring for that. If you've taken the dash apart and worked on 10 of these, you'll know where to find a wiring diagram and how to use a multimeter for this job. Annoying, tedious, but not even close to hard. Heck, for all I know there's one fuse that controls just that and you're missing it or it's fried.

BE25-27 in my manual for troubleshooting

BoomerBob 12-27-2019 07:31 PM

Quote:

There are no modifications to the car or the alarm system. It is all stock. I gutted the interior and the dash and put it back together (didn't work before the gutting). All 2001 SR5s should have FOBs. I've never seen one without it. I've programmed probably 10 of these and this one puzzles me. Its usually the door actuator sticking, but pretty sure the car isn't recognizing the driver door open during programming.

Well, if this site is to be trusted, then the base and SR5 didn't come with remote door locks from the factory. Those that have it were added at the dealership or an alarm shop.

All 2002 models did though. I guess Toyota realized this should be standard equipment on the 4Runners by then.

2001 4Runner Specs