Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Radio/GPS area illumination lights (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/281181-radio-gps-area-illumination-lights.html)

dcjeeper 12-28-2019 12:38 PM

Radio/GPS area illumination lights

My wife's 2016 SR5's radio/GPS area control buttons are dark at night without backlight when the exterior lights are on, although the radio screen is working fine. The Radio, APPS,Navigation, Seek, FF, FW etc buttons works but no light at night. I don't remember if they were lit when it's new. Anyone knows if there's a problem for the lights or not? The backlights for speedometer area work fine.

jp.vegas 12-28-2019 01:21 PM

Have you checked the fuses?

dcjeeper 12-28-2019 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jp.vegas (Post 3415224)
Have you checked the fuses?

Not yet. Need to figure out which fuse is for that. Is there a map for the fuses?

dcjeeper 12-28-2019 06:30 PM

So I located a burnt 7.5 fuse at the driver side panel fuse box. Replaced it twice and burnt again. Where might the short circuit happen?

MossJenks 12-28-2019 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcjeeper (Post 3415313)
Not yet. Need to figure out which fuse is for that. Is there a map for the fuses?

Replacement owners manuals are available at your local dealership as well as online at toyota.com.

dcjeeper 12-28-2019 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MossJenks (Post 3415347)
Replacement owners manuals are available at your local dealership as well as online at toyota.com.

Thanks. I found the blown fuse and replaced it several times but it seems to be a short circuit problem that I couldn't figure out.

jp.vegas 12-28-2019 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcjeeper (Post 3415337)
So I located a burnt 7.5 fuse at the driver side panel fuse box. Replaced it twice and burnt again. Where might the short circuit happen?

Unfortunately it could be anywhere behind the dash between the light in question and the fuse. have you had the dash apart for any reason lately? Any work done? Head unit installed? Something else? That's where I'd start but if none of those things happened then you're in for some fun I'm afraid.

dcjeeper 12-29-2019 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jp.vegas (Post 3415437)
Unfortunately it could be anywhere behind the dash between the light in question and the fuse. have you had the dash apart for any reason lately? Any work done? Head unit installed? Something else? That's where I'd start but if none of those things happened then you're in for some fun I'm afraid.

Nothing done before. Just noticed the problem recently. Sounds like I have to go to stealers and be ready to pay $$$ ...

jp.vegas 12-29-2019 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcjeeper (Post 3415516)
Nothing done before. Just noticed the problem recently. Sounds like I have to go to stealers and be ready to pay $$$ ...

Yeah, that kind of exploratory surgery is going to take time and $$$.

dcjeeper 12-30-2019 10:28 PM

Anyone has a step-by-step instruction or video for removing the trim around the dimmer switch? I removed the center console and didn't see anything wrong for the wires. thinking maybe there were something wrong near the dimmer switch. Dimmer works for the instrument cluster lights. I assume the other non-woking lights are controlled by the dimmer too. There must be a short circuit in that group.

A10MileHusker 12-30-2019 10:43 PM

Just for diagnoses purposes to keep you from going to the stealership, are you sure that your the light adjuster knob on the left side of the steering wheel isn't turned all the way down?

EDIT: Just saw your post regarding the dimmer switch. Sorry

A10MileHusker 12-30-2019 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcjeeper (Post 3416393)
Anyone has a step-by-step instruction or video for removing the trim around the dimmer switch? I removed the center console and didn't see anything wrong for the wires. thinking maybe there were something wrong near the dimmer switch. Dimmer works for the instrument cluster lights. I assume the other non-woking lights are controlled by the dimmer too. There must be a short circuit in that group.

This is to install a switch panel but step 1 should help with removal of that panel and everything else.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/24...ions.pdf?17365

dcjeeper 12-31-2019 08:52 AM

Thanks. Very helpful!

dcjeeper 12-31-2019 09:44 PM

3 Attachment(s)
So I removed the center console trim and visually checked the connections. Haven’t seen any burned parts yet. Actually all the electrical functions work, except the back lights. Can a blew out bulb cause short circuit and burnt the fuse? How to check the bulbs behind the buttons? They do not seem to be easily reached. Sorry about the upside down of picture 2. I uploaded from my cellphone. The brown 7.5 mini fuse on the first row in picture 3 is the one keeps blown out.

dcjeeper 12-31-2019 09:49 PM

There’s a link for the electrical wiring but I was not able to figure them out.

Electrical Wiring Diagram