Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   Group Buys (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/group-buys/)
-   -   Custom AOB Switch Breakout Kit (5th Gen) (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/group-buys/281188-custom-aob-switch-breakout-kit-5th-gen.html)

enginerd4ni 12-28-2019 03:48 PM

Custom AOB Switch Breakout Kit (5th Gen)

This kit allows you to connect up to five Air On Board (Qing Sheng) OEM blank replacement switches and up to 4 additional relay signals to a single cable bundle that can be easily passed through the firewall and connected up to your own RTMR box or other custom wiring solution.

http://www.automotivating.com/forum/...eakout_kit.jpg

The kit includes:
- 5 AOB wiring harness extensions with crimp and shrink splices, heatshrink, and 4 position screw terminal connectors to facilitate quick and easy connections between your switches and the breakout circuit board. Each harness extension is numbered but you can rearrange the order of the connections (1 through 5) easily by unplugging and replugging into the circuit board.
- 1 nine-signal cable that can be passed through a gland on the firewall. Each signal is numbered. Heat shrinkable, water proof crimp lugs are included along with corrugated loom and electrical tape to make things tidy in the engine bay
- 1 Add-A-Fuse wire to supply ignition-on 12V to your AOB switches.
- 1 Inline-Tap to source power for the illumination of your AOB switches when you turn on your lights (not dimmable of course) at night.
- 1 Ground lug because it is good to be a well grounded person
- 1 Circuit board to connect and route all of the signals so you don't have to be that guy with a rats nest of wire nuts under your lower kick panel. The circuit board connects the 5 AOB switches and up to 4 additional relay input signals to the single cable heading to the engine bay. It also connects the 12V from the Add-A-Fuse and the 12V from the Inline-Tap to the appropriate terminals for your AOB switches. There are additional terminals to bus additional power sources (like from your aux battery) if you should so choose.
- 1 Mounting plate and hardware to mount the circuit board to the floorboard/firewall. The mounting plate also has slots to mount a Cobra 75WXST amplifier.

http://www.automotivating.com/forum/..._schematic.jpg

Download Instructions Here

Who: I design higher end electronics products for a living. My build thread hasn't been updated in a few years but you can see some examples of my custom designs. I was asked by a forum member if I had any of the switch breakouts for sale. That got me thinking. Often, my designs require minimum order quantities, lot charges, etc. This is an opportunity for me to share my designs with others and recoup some of the massive costs I have incurred just to make one for myself.

What: I have personally constructed each kit using the remaining pieces from when I build that first one many years ago. The limiting factor is the circuit board. I sent my gerbers to a board house in Hong Kong for a small batch and they gave me 12 printed circuit boards. I then had to order minimum batch sizes of connectors from a company I use out of Italy. Some of the wiring only comes by the spool... you get the idea. The rest of the parts were ordered to complete the remaining 11 kits.

When: I will ship these out within 1 week of payment. I will add your name to the buy list once you have paid. I will send you payment instructions when you direct message me and there are available spots on the list.

Where: These kits fit 5th gen 4Runners and AOB switches. You can use them for other applications but please make sure you understand what you are doing.

Why: These kits are for the person that wants a nice and clean wiring solution for their aftermarket switches. This solution affords field expedient inspection, repair, and replacement that may otherwise be difficult to achieve using a bunch of splices or wire nuts. Some people value this type of craft. Some don't. For those that do, I want to share my design. I've already logged almost 100 hours putting these kits together and yet I'm still only selling them for the parts cost. To sell these through my company as regular items would make the price unaffordable. I will not make these kits again.

How Much: $265 [Reduced to $200 as of 03/21/20] (Includes shipping USPS Priority Domestic)

Additional Info:
To install these, you will need some basic tools and a reasonable level of competency with removing trim panels, crimping wires, etc.

Yes, there are other switching solutions on the market. Each of them has its own set of pros and cons. My engineering based opinion is that the RTMR box is the best relay/fuse solution for the price point that provides high temperature, IP, compactness, and other positives. Similarly, the AOB (Qing Sheng) switches provide a very OEM-like appearance to the cabin using existing switch blanks. My breakout kits simply connect these two great choices.

If you would like me to build you a custom RTMR box, PM me. If you want a bracket to mount your RTMR box, buy the one from Shrockworks. I'm still convinced they copied my idea once they saw my post on T4R.org a year before they launched their brackets...

This buy is limited to 11 kits. The next post will contain the list.

enginerd4ni 12-28-2019 03:49 PM

Buy List:

1) Mike B. (with custom mounting plate for 4th gen)
2) Akkording
3) speedrr411
4) hajismash1133
5) elnip
6) COgreen
7)
8)
9)
10)
11)

twells 12-31-2019 04:13 PM

This looks like an awesome kit that would have saved me about 3 days of piecing together many parts to wire up my AOB switches and various components. Nice work.

enginerd4ni 01-06-2020 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twells (Post 3416768)
This looks like an awesome kit that would have saved me about 3 days of piecing together many parts to wire up my AOB switches and various components. Nice work.

Thanks!

enginerd4ni 03-21-2020 07:12 PM

I haven't been very diligent in advertising these kits and I still have most of them remaining! Price reduced to $200 (includes shipping). I need them gone even though I'll be losing money on them. PM me to set up purchase and shipping address.

speedrr411 03-26-2020 04:16 PM

Receoved kit yesterday

I received my kit in a matter of days. This is a very professionally designed and assembled kit and grossly underpriced! Thank you so much.

graciedad04 04-02-2020 06:48 PM

I would like to see the pics for this if possible.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

enginerd4ni 04-02-2020 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciedad04 (Post 3466732)
I would like to see the pics for this if possible.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Hey there! Thanks for your interest. Apparently Tapatalk has some known issues with displaying some photos on the app. If you use a conventional browser, even on a mobile device, the pictures should properly display. Let me know if you are still having trouble.

enginerd4ni 04-13-2020 07:40 PM

I'm still able to ship these out quickly!

elnip 04-14-2020 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enginerd4ni (Post 3472235)
I'm still able to ship these out quickly!

I received mine superfast! Thanks again @enginerd4ni

enginerd4ni 05-09-2020 11:10 AM

5 kits left! Any more takers? Let me know if you have questions!

enginerd4ni 07-02-2020 02:46 PM

Anyone looking to install some accessories/lighting this summer? These kits are still available!

trey99ek 08-12-2020 02:21 PM

Any installed pictures?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

enginerd4ni 08-12-2020 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trey99ek (Post 3530984)
Any installed pictures?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

This is all I have accessible. It is from the 4th gen install so the mounting bracket is different. It also is mid-way through the install so the individual switch extensions have not yet been plugged in.

http://www.automotivating.com/forum/...le/4th_gen.jpg

TheRigbyUnit 11-16-2020 01:45 PM

I'm interested in one of these, and potentially an RTMR. I don't think I have enough replies/posts to DM yet, so I'm having trouble contacting you.