Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Fuse box left uncovered when hardwiring something? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/281259-fuse-box-left-uncovered-when-hardwiring-something.html)

pointman 12-31-2019 03:59 AM

Fuse box left uncovered when hardwiring something?

I see people are running power for their radars and dash cams to the fuse box by the driver's footwell. I was curious, after adding a tap there is no way to get the cover back on obviously. Is there something you are all doing or buying to cover the fuses, or are you just running it naked?

LastCahEvah 12-31-2019 07:52 AM

Run mine without the cover

thedvsmonkey 12-31-2019 10:06 AM

I run without the cover since there's no way it'll go back on with those add-a-fuses inserted.

Lollerskates 12-31-2019 11:13 AM

Also run mine without the cover with no issues.

Saw some custom covers you can buy online that will allow room for the wire taps, but currently out of stock. Not sure if they plan on making more, or if there are other companies that make them.

Extended Fuse Cover - 4Runner - Limited Runs
– MESO CUSTOMS LLC

MeefZah 12-31-2019 12:09 PM

Naked

Peel the fuse label off the cover and stick it on the manual so you still have it as a reference.

pDubs 12-31-2019 01:12 PM

Don't have the cover on mine either.

captain_moly 12-31-2019 01:33 PM

I used a little rat-tailed file to create matching grooves in the cover and the fusebox to let the new wires sneak in under the edge of the cover. They're a little snug, but I like knowing that the fusebox still has protection from dust/water/salt!

billiamwu 12-31-2019 03:36 PM

I just cut mine to get the cover to fit back on and have the tap extend out. It works OK, but I must have kicked the cover the other day when getting in/out and it came off along with the fuse tap.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lollerskates (Post 3416591)
Saw some custom covers you can buy online that will allow room for the wire taps, but currently out of stock. Not sure if they plan on making more, or if there are other companies that make them.

– MESO CUSTOMS LLC

I've been eyeing these for a long time, hope they come in stock soon. I have a script refreshing the page every 6 hours to look for any changes in the code...pretty sure I'll be their first purchase on that item.

ElectroBoy 12-31-2019 03:40 PM

Quote:

– MESO CUSTOMS LLC

I got lucky earlier this year and ordered the MESO cover when they happened to be in stock. If works real well to cover any fuse taps or other wires you’ve added.
You can click on the “Email Me When Available” button. Then keep checking the page to see when they make another production run, in case they’re in stock before you get notified.

pointman 12-31-2019 05:14 PM

Thanks everyone for responding!

Quote:

– MESO CUSTOMS LLC

Incredible link! Thank you!! Hope they come back in stock.

Quote:

Originally Posted by captain_moly (Post 3416669)
I used a little rat-tailed file to create matching grooves in the cover and the fusebox to let the new wires sneak in under the edge of the cover. They're a little snug, but I like knowing that the fusebox still has protection from dust/water/salt!

Any chance you could share a photo? Please? Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by billiamwu (Post 3416738)
I just cut mine to get the cover to fit back on and have the tap extend out. It works OK, but I must have kicked the cover the other day when getting in/out and it came off along with the fuse tap.

Thanks for the suggestion. I thought about doing that, but I am not precise and bet I cut the hole for the wrong area haha

2112 R 01-01-2020 07:54 PM

Naked.
I have 3 different taps for stuff.
Last time I happened to be at the dealership for wife's car stuff I brought in the little plastic cover and asked if they had a part # for it.
Theory was to cut some holes where the taps are to protect the other fuses as there is a lot of mud/dirt/sand that gets all over the place when out on the trails and camping.
Parts guy said he couldn't find one and said maybe I'd have to buy the whole fuse assembly to get a new cover, which was not worth it, they run a few hundred last I checked.
When we're at the junk yards I keep an eye out for 5th gens just to see if I can find the small plastic cover one day.

IanMohammed 01-01-2020 08:06 PM

I did initially but then installed the painless fuse block cause electrical issues scare the crap out of me. Now I just run the stuff to the engine bay for the most part.

ZenArcade 01-01-2020 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2112 R (Post 3417288)
Naked.
I have 3 different taps for stuff.
Last time I happened to be at the dealership for wife's car stuff I brought in the little plastic cover and asked if they had a part # for it.
Theory was to cut some holes where the taps are to protect the other fuses as there is a lot of mud/dirt/sand that gets all over the place when out on the trails and camping.
Parts guy said he couldn't find one and said maybe I'd have to buy the whole fuse assembly to get a new cover, which was not worth it, they run a few hundred last I checked.
When we're at the junk yards I keep an eye out for 5th gens just to see if I can find the small plastic cover one day.

Ha. I saw this thread and started searching for the cover part# ... I guess I'll stop that process lol. I'm sure that web site link for (out of stock) extended cover is a 3d print. If I have some time/get board at work I might give a try (or request a favor of co-worker) ... must be one of the simpler projects to give a whirl. But yeah, I think a engine bay power distribution board is in my future. :nerd:

9runner 02-29-2020 09:04 PM

5th gen 4runner fuse box extended cover

for 2014-2019 You can use something like this

5th Gen 2014+ Toyota 4Runner red extended fuse box cover with cable opening | eBay
5th Gen 2014+ Toyota 4Runner black extended fuse box cover with cable opening | eBay

for 2020
2020 Toyota 4Runner Black Fuse Box Cover with Side Slots | eBay

????? 02-29-2020 10:48 PM

If there is enough demand. Meso will do another run.

Message them and sign up with your email.