Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   How to illuminate footwells (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/281320-how-illuminate-footwells.html)

judoant 01-01-2020 10:57 PM

How to illuminate footwells

I want to add a little light to my footwells while driving at night but I’m not sure the best route. I see the kits on amazon for led light strips with remote control but that seems like overkill. I just want a few green lights in the foot wells when the head lights are on. I’m not clear on raw led light install. What is required? Just 12v and ground direct to led? What are the resisters about. Do they sit inline of the 12v to step down the power?

What socket / mount options do I have for just an led?

Brian. 01-02-2020 07:51 AM

If you have to ask (about "raw led" and resistors", you either need to spend a few weeks on an electronics forum (or in a library) tacking that steep, STEEP learning curve... or buy a ready-made product.

But you want interior lights on when you're DRIVING? Are you nuts? Why would you go out of your way to ruin your night vision? I can (maybe) see having extra lighting that works with the dome lights and comes on/off with it (doors open, don't remember if it comes on when you turn the ignition off too or if that's one of my other cars).

Regardless of how and when they come on, just buy a kit. You'll spend a whole lot less time and make your truck less of a fire hazard with questionable electronics assembly. If I'm reading this wrong and you Really want to learn, a physical book from the library is Always a great place to start with basics and theories.

Chris In Milwaukee 01-02-2020 08:45 AM

I concur. Just buy something ready made. Check superbrightleds.com for some easy options.

jgue467 01-02-2020 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by judoant (Post 3417373)
I want to add a little light to my footwells while driving at night but I’m not sure the best route. I see the kits on amazon for led light strips with remote control but that seems like overkill...

Better to 'overkill' than 'under' I say. I have these little cheap gems (were $7/sets as a lightening deal - I'm a sucker for cheap Chinese stuff on prime), so easy peasy to return and no cost if not desired.

To me they turned out to be awesome. Once wired/hidden, its so easy to choose your color and dim to appropriate level, sweetness. They can also be turned completely off in an instant. May like some of the other features and then you'll wonder why you waited.

Luck and enjoy your Runner. : ^ )))

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Speedy 01-13-2020 03:22 PM

I'm working on this project now for my 2002 4Runner. My Hellcat and my wife's Q60 both have a dim glow in the footwells that activate with the parking lights/head lights. The key is to make sure it's super dim and just a faint glow so it doesn't mess up your night vision. If you want to avoid having to worry with resistors get 12V LEDs.

I'm planning to do a setup where one bright LED comes on with the dome light and when doors are opened. Then a dim glow that activates with the parking light switch. Parking light is easy, the dome light is a bit more involved due to the lights being ground switched.