Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   **Rear Coil Spring Discussion - The Perfect 3rd Gen Rear Spring** (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/281374-**rear-coil-spring-discussion-perfect-3rd-gen-rear-spring**.html)

rickashay 01-03-2020 03:46 AM

**Rear Coil Spring Discussion - The Perfect 3rd Gen Rear Spring**

I’ve been meaning to start this thread for a while. @Taylor20 and I have been bouncing ideas and information back and forth about rear springs and I thought we should open it up to the community for disucssion. Let’s talk existing rear coil options and what an “ideal 3rd Gen rear spring” might look like? I realize everyone has different uses and setups, but I feel like there are just so many more options for the 120 Platform Toyota’s than for us 3rd Gen guys.

I for one, would love a LT rear spring capable of staying in the coil buckets at full droop, capable of supporting 200-250lbs of rear weight (over stock) and sitting at 2.5-3” of lift. My ideal spring may be different than yours, but that’s where we can start to collect some data and see if there are some common themes to approach a vendor about a custom spring potentially.

I’d love to hear from @Black798 as I know he’s running some 4th Gen Dobinsons or something back there.

CURRENT SPRING DATA (thanks for putting this together @Taylor20 )

OME 861's - 220lbs - 480/490mm FH
DOBINSON 210V - 160-239lbs - 475/485mm FH
DOBINSON 675V - 157-230lbs - 470mm FH
TOYTEC Superflex - 240lbs - 495mm FH
LC 7.5 Wrap - 160lbs - 473mm FH
LC 8 Wrap - 160lbs - 483mm FH

If you can confirm and/or fill in the missing info, please reply to the thread and I will update the main post.

Let’s talk rear springs!

Taylor20 01-03-2020 09:19 AM

Thanks Rick for starting this.
Just to throw some more info out there from my searching.

The Dobinson 675v is a LT 4th gen rear coil. It provides the 4th gen's 2.5" of lift on average in stock form. That would provide us with 3.5" of lift due to the OE 4th gen spring providing about 1" of lift to start with. With extra weight it would bring that down some.
The Dobinson 210v is the stock height extra weight LC front spring, and from what @Black798 has told me it offers about 3.5" of lift with the extra weight.

I did have 861's, rear swingout and drawer system, but almost 5" of lift, it was just too much for me. I will probably order the 675v and see what those provide in the next couple months.

Free height is key for a spring not falling out, it would have to be at least 480mm to not leave a worry of them doing so.

rickashay 01-04-2020 03:15 AM

Some more food for thought....

I had my 4th gen on 675V springs after switching from the metal Tech LT springs. They were slightly lower but on a stock truck (factory hitch and no rear bumper) I was closer to 3.5” of lift. I’ll dig in my old build thread and see if I ever posted huh to fender measurements to try and validate that...

Novashards 01-04-2020 08:35 AM

I used Bilstein 5100s paired with OME 880 in the front and 890 in the back, have a slight positive rake. I didn't measure before/after height though. The suspension levels out with a hitch rack loaded with ~300lbs. I didn't take before pictures but there are after pictures in my thread.

https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-g...ml#post2965726

Dieselchessy 01-04-2020 12:26 PM

I have used LC ~150k.
One is 8 wraps, white, dark blue, double purple. Free standing it’s 483mm.
Other is just over 7.5 wraps, white, light blue, double purple. Free standing it’s 473mm.

Dieselchessy 01-04-2020 03:05 PM

Not sure what Superflex’s your referencing but this thread lists them at 240# spring rate. I haven’t found an alternative reference.

ToyTec SuperFlex Rear Spring INFO Thread

rickashay 01-04-2020 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Novashards (Post 3418604)
I used Bilstein 5100s paired with OME 880 in the front and 890 in the back, have a slight positive rake. I didn't measure before/after height though. The suspension levels out with a hitch rack loaded with ~300lbs. I didn't take before pictures but there are after pictures in my thread.

https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-g...ml#post2965726

The OME 890's do provide the lift height that I am after but they do not have enough free height to allow maximum droop while maintaining their position in the coil buckets.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselchessy (Post 3418683)
I have used LC ~150k.
One is 8 wraps, white, dark blue, double purple. Free standing it’s 483mm.
Other is just over 7.5 wraps, white, light blue, double purple. Free standing it’s 473mm.

Thanks for this... I will ad it to the main post.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselchessy (Post 3418746)
Not sure what Superflex’s your referencing but this thread lists them at 240# spring rate. I haven’t found an alternative reference.

ToyTec SuperFlex Rear Spring INFO Thread

I'll update as well. They are a dual rate coil are they not?

Big-B1975 01-04-2020 08:58 PM

OME Landcruiser 80 springs
2851 - Stock/Light Load (0-110 lbs) 2" lift
2850 - Heavy load (110-250 lbs) 2" lift
2850J - Extended Height Coils 3" lift (Requires 60070L Shocks) **
2861 - Low height heavy load (110-250 lbs) .25" lift

UnderFire 01-04-2020 11:30 PM

I have a feeling but I haven't tried it, that the OME FJ Cruiser rear springs 895 medium duty may be the right coil for people looking to carry a little extra weight (2-300lb) and stay around 3" of lift at ride height.

Sent from my JSN-L23 using Tapatalk

det107 01-07-2020 03:22 PM

To The Top~

Any more ideas or set ups? Please share-

JZiggy 01-07-2020 03:39 PM

Here's an idea: springs are characterized fundamentally by their free length, overall diameter, wire diameter, and number of coils. It may be interesting to include this data on the various options. This would help if we actually wanted to propose a custom spring design.

Dieselchessy 01-08-2020 02:58 AM

FJC rear spring thread. Not much lift, but maybe the ride characteristics and introduces the variable of larger diameter coils.

Solved: FJ Cruiser Spring Lift for 3rd Gen 4Runners

I know this thread is “rear coils” but it seems to me that the shocks are equally as important for ride quality. I think the conversation would have to encompass a coil and shock pair.

4-Ripcord 01-08-2020 11:23 AM

I went through the same process on my last 4runner, actually had most of these springs on it at one point or another trying to find the right one I liked.

I used some OME chart to fill in spring rates for most of them, and confirming free heights by hand measurements. The superflex and 891 are progressive so hard to give an exact value for, but superflex definitely felt softer than the 861. IMO the 861 were too stiff.

In the end I was most happy with the superflex, and would get that again if I built another t4r.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4-Ripcord (Post 2696759)

OME 890 : 190 lbs/in - 16.7in free height
OME 891 : 210 lbs/in - 16.5in free height
Superflex: 210 lbs/in - 19.5in free height
OME 861 : 250 lbs/in - 19.2in free height

My requirements were very similar to yours: +250ish lbs, less than 3" lift, long enough to not fall out when drooped.

4runnerfiend 01-08-2020 01:05 PM

8 wraps

3 Attachment(s)
Sorry I don' have specific data. But..

I've been happy with LC 8 wraps with no internal cone bumpstop.
I always run with about 100+ lbs in the rear and it sits at just above 24" so about 3" lift.

When I'm fully weighted with camping gear and people shoot probably 300 lbs with all the cooler ice and water/gear.. maybe more. it sits about level with the front 23"

Just got out a did a good flex test. Grabbed the coil springs and they were not going anywhere, no chance of them falling out.
Running FJ/4th gen 5100, no sway bar, and Rokmen offraod lower links.

For me, I don't need any more travel in the rear, I need to concentrate on the front travel.

Now if I was running a 200 lbs rear bumper plus all this stuff. It would be to much weight.

AZBub 01-08-2020 05:27 PM

OME 861. You either love em or hate em. The thing is if you have a lot of gear all the time or an actual overland rig buildout in back is where these springs shine the most. Yes unloaded they sit high. No they are not for a rig that doesn’t have a ton of weight in back. A ton of weight would be along the lines of a fridge, slide, storage, support gear, rear tire swing out with fuel etc.... Just like you would re-gear to gain back performance from weight and tire size etc you add these springs to deal with....weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TCMach 01-08-2020 06:27 PM

I need a 1" lift coil that holds weight like an 861 and has enough free height not to fall out..... :crazy:

UnderFire 01-09-2020 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4runnerfiend (Post 3420856)
Sorry I don' have specific data. But..

I've been happy with LC 8 wraps with no internal cone bumpstop.

I always run with about 100+ lbs in the rear and it sits at just above 24" so about 3" lift.

When I'm fully weighted with camping gear and people shoot probably 300 lbs with all the cooler ice and water/gear.. maybe more. it sits about level with the front 23"

Just got out a did a good flex test. Grabbed the coil springs and they were not going anywhere, no chance of them falling out.

Running FJ/4th gen 5100, no sway bar, and Rokmen offraod lower links.

For me, I don't need any more travel in the rear, I need to concentrate on the front travel.

Now if I was running a 200 lbs rear bumper plus all this stuff. It would be to much weight.

A big problem I've seen with using used FJ80 coils is that the variance can be huge. I originally ran 8 wraps in the rear of my first 4Runner and found them to be way taller than a lot of other member's sets. I was sitting about 4.5" of lift unloaded or with moderate load. Once I stuck an extra 400lbs in the back it was closer to level, but still not perfectly even with the 3" up front. About 3.5" with the 400lbs directly over the rear axle in the cargo area.

I will say though, I had it paired with OEM Tokico FJ80 rears and the ride quality was superb for a budget oriented setup. Much better than running a budget aftermarket shock like rough country, pro comp, etc. Similar experience with off the shelf stock replacements from Napa paired with Superflex coils, Highly recommend it to anyone looking for a cheap shock ~75$ for the pair.

Sent from my JSN-L23 using Tapatalk

eimkeith 01-09-2020 08:34 AM

I just got a Slinky/Icon setup for our FZJ80 - the coils are designed to have multiple dead loops at ride height that work as a helper spring to keep the coil from falling out when drooped. Perhaps the Australian company that makes them would be interested in rolling a 3rd gen solution as well?

80 series Slinky/ICON Long Travel Suspension officially coming to the U.S.A. | IH8MUD Forum

https://forum.ih8mud.com/proxy.php?i...2c9d7610d488e5

https://forum.ih8mud.com/proxy.php?i...17d73336c58ff3

TCMach 01-09-2020 05:17 PM

FWIW in my search for a shorter coil I got this from Dobinson.
C59-137V - 170lbs open -245lbs ride height - 331lbs collapsed - 420mm FH. The 70 mm difference in free height from an 861 or superflex might be an issue.

CT135 01-09-2020 06:37 PM

So is there a difference between the Dobsinson 210V and the OEM LC springs? WHy would I want to buy one vs the other? Can it handle weight better than the oem but isn't as crazy tall/heavy duty as the OME 861. Cause if that is the case I may be buying them.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taylor20 (Post 3418096)
Thanks Rick for starting this.
Just to throw some more info out there from my searching.

The Dobinson 675v is a LT 4th gen rear coil. It provides the 4th gen's 2.5" of lift on average in stock form. That would provide us with 3.5" of lift due to the OE 4th gen spring providing about 1" of lift to start with. With extra weight it would bring that down some.
The Dobinson 210v is the stock height extra weight LC front spring, and from what @Black798 has told me it offers about 3.5" of lift with the extra weight.

I did have 861's, rear swingout and drawer system, but almost 5" of lift, it was just too much for me. I will probably order the 675v and see what those provide in the next couple months.

Free height is key for a spring not falling out, it would have to be at least 480mm to not leave a worry of them doing so.

HiMiles 01-09-2020 07:57 PM

I've had about 6 different rear spring pairs in my 4Runner, with many more sub-combos of packers and air bags. I have both high and variable weight in the back, since I have a 4XI swingout bumper and tow a light car trailer from time to time.

I ended up with the Superflex coils, simply because they have the highest "final" rate of any of the heavily progressive coils and prevent big rake changes with variable weight. This is a huge selling point, especially when they still ride very nicely sans trailer.

Unfortunately, air bags aren't quite the silver bullet they'd seem to be for variable weight, since you can't safely run them at 0psi. I always found them a bit harsh unladen, even inside soft coil springs.

CT135 01-09-2020 10:19 PM

So with your bumper/swing out. Roughly how much lift are you getting from the super flex? Hub to fender would be awesome to know.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HiMiles (Post 3421632)
I've had about 6 different rear spring pairs in my 4Runner, with many more sub-combos of packers and air bags. I have both high and variable weight in the back, since I have a 4XI swingout bumper and tow a light car trailer from time to time.

I ended up with the Superflex coils, simply because they have the highest "final" rate of any of the heavily progressive coils and prevent big rake changes with variable weight. This is a huge selling point, especially when they still ride very nicely sans trailer.

Unfortunately, air bags aren't quite the silver bullet they'd seem to be for variable weight, since you can't safely run them at 0psi. I always found them a bit harsh unladen, even inside soft coil springs.

Fishwerks 01-10-2020 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickashay (Post 3418074)
I for one, would love a LT rear spring capable of staying in the coil buckets at full droop, capable of supporting 200-250lbs of rear weight (over stock) and sitting at 2.5-3” of lift. My ideal spring may be different than yours, but that’s where we can start to collect some data and see if there are some common themes to approach a vendor about a custom spring potentially.

I'm glad you started this thread. I've been talking to Tyler about rear springs a good bit lately. I like the 861s when I have the swingout on and the truck loaded for a camping trip or something, but most of the time I wish they sat 1-2" lower. Like @AZBub mentioned, you really need a lot of weight to get them down to a reasonable height.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4-Ripcord (Post 3420785)
I went through the same process on my last 4runner, actually had most of these springs on it at one point or another trying to find the right one I liked.

I used some OME chart to fill in spring rates for most of them, and confirming free heights by hand measurements. The superflex and 891 are progressive so hard to give an exact value for, but superflex definitely felt softer than the 861. IMO the 861 were too stiff.

In the end I was most happy with the superflex, and would get that again if I built another t4r.

My requirements were very similar to yours: +250ish lbs, less than 3" lift, long enough to not fall out when drooped.

Good to know, I've been considering superflex or one of the dobinsons variations as options.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TCMach (Post 3421074)
I need a 1" lift coil that holds weight like an 861 and has enough free height not to fall out..... :crazy:

Take a sawzall to the 861s and let us know how much to cut.

Dieselchessy 01-10-2020 08:53 PM

I was thinking more along the lines of what we did in high school to lower rigs. Take a torch and apply heat at the right point until the spring relaxes to the desired height.

Taylor20 01-10-2020 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZBub (Post 3421040)
OME 861. You either love em or hate em. The thing is if you have a lot of gear all the time or an actual overland rig buildout in back is where these springs shine the most. Yes unloaded they sit high. No they are not for a rig that doesn’t have a ton of weight in back. A ton of weight would be along the lines of a fridge, slide, storage, support gear, rear tire swing out with fuel etc.... Just like you would re-gear to gain back performance from weight and tire size etc you add these springs to deal with....weight.

I have those now, and those that I have talked to with them agree its too much lift and too stiff. This sparked the quest, for me at least, to find a more suitable spring.

Quote:

Originally Posted by eimkeith (Post 3421289)
I just got a Slinky/Icon setup for our FZJ80 - the coils are designed to have multiple dead loops at ride height that work as a helper spring to keep the coil from falling out when drooped. Perhaps the Australian company that makes them would be interested in rolling a 3rd gen solution as well?

Slinky is good stuff, I'm just leaning more towards Dobinson because I have been in contact with someone about a creating a new option for the 3rd gen's...and I have just heard more about Dobinson.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TCMach (Post 3421531)
FWIW in my search for a shorter coil I got this from Dobinson.
C59-137V - 170lbs open -245lbs ride height - 331lbs collapsed - 420mm FH. The 70 mm difference in free height from an 861 or superflex might be an issue.

If the free height was there, these would be an excellent option with say under 150 extra lbs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT135 (Post 3421576)
So is there a difference between the Dobsinson 210V and the OEM LC springs? WHy would I want to buy one vs the other? Can it handle weight better than the oem but isn't as crazy tall/heavy duty as the OME 861. Cause if that is the case I may be buying them.

Spring rate and coil diameter for the most part. The difference in minimal, only about .5" between the two.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HiMiles (Post 3421632)

I had Superflex before the 861's and swingout, drawer system. Amazing springs, but with extra weight, they sagged.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishwerks (Post 3422209)
I'm glad you started this thread. I've been talking to Tyler about rear springs a good bit lately. I like the 861s when I have the swingout on and the truck loaded for a camping trip or something, but most of the time I wish they sat 1-2" lower. Like @AZBub mentioned, you really need a lot of weight to get them down to a reasonable height.

Ya, they are a good option, just not the right option for most.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselchessy (Post 3422248)
I was thinking more along the lines of what we did in high school to lower rigs. Take a torch and apply heat at the right point until the spring relaxes to the desired height.

Horrible idea

Dieselchessy 01-11-2020 01:40 AM

Tough crowd. LOL!

rickashay 01-11-2020 02:22 AM

Good discussion. I might have to try the superflex's but I am worried I will be too heavy for them too...

I am just waiting for someone to try the Dobinsons 675V before I make a move.... any takers? lol

Mark_BC 01-11-2020 09:50 PM

Is there a front version of this thread? I'm going to get a coastal offroad front bumper (100 lb) plus winch so i want to know which coil and shock to get for about maybe 1" of lift and overlanding with gear in the back.
3rd Gen 4Runner Closed Top Front Bumper Kit - Coastal Offroad
I know there's tons of threads on suspension but it changes from year to year and there's too much information overload.

Taylor20 01-13-2020 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickashay (Post 3422403)
Good discussion. I might have to try the superflex's but I am worried I will be too heavy for them too...

I am just waiting for someone to try the Dobinsons 675V before I make a move.... any takers? lol

I will be as soon as my 861's sell

Dieselchessy 01-17-2020 12:37 AM

Stumbled across this site. It’s got a pretty good list of specs.

Cruiser Outfitters

Tommy854runner 01-17-2020 10:31 AM

What rear spring would be best for about 2-2.5" lift but a soft ride? It won't be off road very much so looking for best ride quality possible. Probably going to run either a 265-75-16 or 285-70-16.

2wheelnut 01-24-2020 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tommy854runner (Post 3426363)
What rear spring would be best for about 2-2.5" lift but a soft ride? It won't be off road very much so looking for best ride quality possible. Probably going to run either a 265-75-16 or 285-70-16.

I'm in the same boat, so far as I've read up on OME 906's would do it but a little harsh, OME 890s would be good unless you need full droop then they may fall out.

I'm also debating the fronts.

Bought the rig with mish mash of parts. 5100's up front and OME 895s with OME shocks in the rear. Rides like garbage.

Dieselchessy 01-24-2020 08:31 PM

I started to make a spread sheet with all the rear spring options and then decided I was going 890's and I'd change if I don't like it.

890 seems about the best choice for 2.5-3" lift when not carrying lots of weight. Amongst the other 2.5-3" options they seem less likely to fall out.

model/spring rate/wire diameter/free height D/P

OME 2890 190 .591 17.13/16.73
OME 2891 210 0.63 16.53/16.14
OME 2906 220 .669 15.35/14.96

I bought Tundra TRD coils for the front.

4Runner4Leon 01-26-2020 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselchessy (Post 3430941)
I started to make a spread sheet with all the rear spring options and then decided I was going 890's and I'd change if I don't like it.

890 seems about the best choice for 2.5-3" lift when not carrying lots of weight. Amongst the other 2.5-3" options they seem less likely to fall out.

One thing to note with the numbers above is that these springs won't give the same amount of lift. Using these numbers (which I haven't verified, but assume to be correct), here are the spring heights with 1000 lbs of load:

rate free H H @1000lb
890 190 17.13 11.87
891 210 16.53 11.77
906 220 15.35 10.80

Note that 890 and 891 have about 1" more lift than 906.

I have about a 2" lift with the 906's in my '97 (which is exactly what I wanted), so you'll get closer to 3" lift with the 890/891.

I'm quite happy with the ride with the 906's, I don't find them too stiff at all (and I like comfort, so take that for what it's worth).

Dieselchessy 01-26-2020 01:32 PM

That height at 1000# would be good data to have. Would be nice if all this type data was readily available.

4Runner4Leon 01-26-2020 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselchessy (Post 3431678)
That height at 1000# would be good data to have. Would be nice if all this type data was readily available.

Agreed. It's easy to calculate the expected ride height given the free height and spring rate, but it wouldn't account for progressive springs.

4runnerfiend 01-27-2020 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tommy854runner (Post 3426363)

If your rig will not see offroad and will not have tons of weight in the rear then the best ride quality will be oem springs. So... a spacer lift will be your best bet. Daystar makes a 2.5" and a 1.5" spacer for the rear.
Amazon.com: Daystar, Toyota 4Runner 2.5" Rear Lift Kit, fits 1996 to 2002 2/4WD, all transmissions, all cabs KT09108BK, Made in America: Automotive
Amazon.com: Daystar, Toyota 4Runner 1.5" Rear Lift Kit, fits 1996 to 2002 2/4WD, all transmissions, all cabs KT09107BK, Made in America, Black: Automotive

fourfive 01-27-2020 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselchessy (Post 3430941)

2.5-3.0" lift sounds about right when I had my 890s. I try to use center hub to fender measurements so that it's easier to establish a baseline for lift. With 890s I was consistently at 22.5-22.75" center hub to fender with a couple hundred pounds of cargo gear. With my Toytec superflex (the ones advertised for 3.75" lift) I sit 23-23.25" with the same amount of cargo weight. They handled similarly & was happy with both. I don't think the coil falling out should be an issue if a proper length shock is used.

For my next front set up I'm considering the Tundra TRD/Tundra bilsteins or Tundra 6112.

HiMiles 01-27-2020 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT135 (Post 3421686)
So with your bumper/swing out. Roughly how much lift are you getting from the super flex? Hub to fender would be awesome to know.

Here's a picture. This is with Superflex + trimmed OEM top cones. The rear bumper is a 4XI with a swing-out 34" tire and a full jerry can, so fairly heavy.

Hub-to-fender distance is 23.75". Even with the bumper setup, I imagine I'm still short of the 1000lb total load on each spring.

https://i.imgur.com/YNtG3ZRh.jpg

owyheerat 03-07-2020 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickashay (Post 3422403)

Addison,

I'm late to this discussion. I am very interested in this topic though. I currently am running 861's w/ Tokico LC shocks. I love the flex, but wish the ride height was a little lower. Also, they are too stiff.
For reference, I have a Bandit design rear bumper with dual swing outs (which is heavy) and 35" spare, rear storage / sleeping platform, fridge, Rago rear window panels (full) and usually my 70lb golden retriever. So I'm guessing 400+lbs. And the 861's are still too stiff.

Have you made a decision yet?

Is Dobinson the solution?

Thanks

Durwin