Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Roof Rack- Storage Security (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/281444-roof-rack-storage-security.html)

BJD275 01-05-2020 03:25 AM

Roof Rack- Storage Security

Hey you all,

I have been on the hunt for the last couple days for storage containers as my two 108qt Plano Sportsmans were cut and stolen off my roof rack (they cut the straps and the locks). I was wondering if there are any secure roof rack storage systems you are rocking without incident.

I was thinking of two tool boxes for truck beds (they have some about the same size as those 108qt storage bins). I would also run a U bolt up through the rack into the box and put the nuts on inside there.

What do you all think?

Thanks in advance!

PS I did a search and couldn't find any metal solutions, just a bunch pelican recommendations, which those don't seem as theft proof but let me know if I am wrong.

Rapid_Amble 01-05-2020 09:20 AM

This probably isn’t an option but it seems like the safest place for your boxes should be inside the vehicle, hidden behind tinted windows and under a black tarp. Also, maybe think about an alarm and front and rear dash cams.

Blu42 01-05-2020 01:08 PM

Honestly if they are gonna take your stuff, they are gonna it. The only thing you can do is make it more difficult. If they had time to climb up there cutting straps and locks and drag it off then I would assume prying open a lid is no big deal. I just wouldn't keep anything worthwhile in it anymore unless your actively using it. Windows smash and grabs are still a thing and window tint only gets you so far.

I had this alley storage at one apt. People would come through the alley because none could see and RIP off the doors and cherry pick what they wanted. We started screwing the doors closed with beefy locks so they had to work at it but never kept anything in there. They'd waste what time they had on nothing. Again if you really don't want them taking it keep it out of the vehicle. I know if I can get into anything so can any douche with time to think about it.

Good luck!

Oh also wanted to add that the more "secure" you make things could just mean more damage to everything else during their attempt to remove it.

Spec-7 01-05-2020 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blu42 (Post 3419141)
Oh also wanted to add that the more "secure" you make things could just mean more damage to everything else during their attempt to remove it.

This exactly. I've also heard of entire roof racks being ripped from vehicles simply because it was easier to rip the rack off than try to remove the bike, kayak, trunk, etc from what was holding it to the rack.

Brownfaux 01-05-2020 09:20 PM

My solution was to make it easier to just pull off my cases and what not. I sourced some plastic knobs from McMaster Carr and can yank my harbor freight cases in under a minute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LandCruiser 01-05-2020 09:28 PM

You don't want to hear this, but there is no secure storage in or outside of your vehicle.

pDubs 01-06-2020 05:31 PM

I have a 42" Plano rifle case mounted to my Prinsu (not on all the time though).

You drill holes in the bottom of the box, put bolts in the t slots on the Prinsu, drop the box down on those bolts aligning with holes, and then use a rubber washer, washer, and nut on the inside of box. Without getting it opened, it won't come off (without cutting or breaking something).

The box does lock, and I have a padlock on. If someone wants what is inside, all it would take is a battery powered angle grinder to cut the entire top off. lol

Pathfinder! 01-06-2020 06:58 PM

A big dog and leave the windows rolled down enough so he can get a piece of the thieves. I left my 4runner in Oakland for a Raiders game a couple months ago and came back to the cars all around me being broken into. Meanwhile, my car with rear window rolled down and full of stuff, was untouched due to the Great Dane in the back. He's quite happy to hold down the fort.

adrummingdude 01-06-2020 08:51 PM

I’m a real estate photographer and haul around $10k+ of gear in the back pretty routinely. I have the whole back of the truck from the rear passenger’s windows aft at a 5% tint on top of the factory tint. You can’t see what’s back there, but burglaries are still very possible. For that, I have insurance. Yes, it would suck, but a 4Runner with black tinted windows is still less of a target than a typical work truck with a bed mounted tool box, and I need to drive something.