Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   General Discussions (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/general-discussions/)
-   -   Snow adventure (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/general-discussions/281505-snow-adventure.html)

rotorwind 01-06-2020 11:05 PM

Snow adventure

Went playing in the snow and got stuck!

It got deep so was trying to turn around and got stuck in about a foot of snow. Luckily I was in the woods only 4 miles from my house. My wife brought out snow shovels, cat litter, boxes/rugs and an aluminum ATV ramp.

After about an hour and half we got it out! Pics don’t do it justice. Snow was up to the frame.

FYI Toyota’s road side assistance does not cover if your off road. I was maybe 50 yards off the main forest road.

The stock street tires didn’t help much! I tried CRAWL, ATRAC and locked the rear diff. None of that got me out. I had a tow strap but her car couldn’t make it to me. Lesson learned. Be prepared

What do you guys carry? Come along winch? Traction boards?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...83c690f0e1.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...9f2b399366.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...a0a2b24684.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cb1111 01-06-2020 11:31 PM

Start with better (more appropriate) tires...

rotorwind 01-07-2020 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cb1111 (Post 3420016)
Start with better (more appropriate) tires...

That will be my first upgrade! Bought it less them 2 weeks ago

thennen 01-07-2020 05:54 AM

I'm curious - did you try all the goodies such as ATRAC, locking diff, etc.? I know they aren't magic fixes, I'm just curious.

Muzzle of Bees 01-07-2020 08:51 AM

I am guessing the manual was not opened. CRAWL would have been my go to option. It’s badged as trd, which has that feature.

rotorwind 01-07-2020 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thennen (Post 3420109)
I'm curious - did you try all the goodies such as ATRAC, locking diff, etc.? I know they aren't magic fixes, I'm just curious.

Yeah I tried crawl, ATRAC & locked the rear diff. None of that helped. Just had no traction. Tires would just spin. Icy. The ramp under one wheel and a rock under another and some Pushing is what did it.

rotorwind 01-07-2020 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muzzle of Bees (Post 3420121)
I am guessing the manual was not opened. CRAWL would have been my go to option. It’s badged as trd, which has that feature.

You guessed wrong. Tried everything: crawl, ATRAC, rear diff lock etc.

spartacus 01-07-2020 11:24 AM

Glad you got it out. Get a pair of chains and it will not get stuck again.

rotorwind 01-07-2020 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spartacus (Post 3420157)
Glad you got it out. Get a pair of chains and it will not get stuck again.

Agree! Thanks

thennen 01-07-2020 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rotorwind (Post 3420133)
Yeah I tried crawl, ATRAC & locked the rear diff. None of that helped. Just had no traction. Tires would just spin. Icy. The ramp under one wheel and a rock under another and some Pushing is what did it.

I would have been in the same predicament as you with my OEM tires, which I do like on pavement. With snow that deep, you almost have to keep going straight if possible (as opposed to turning) and keep moving in order to avoid getting stuck. I'll now need to mess around with the ATRAC and Crawl and stuff next time we get some snow, so I can get an idea what they can and can't do. Nice truck - glad you got out!

mesooohoppy 01-07-2020 12:43 PM

i think anyone who snow wheels by themselves has this happen to them once as a wake up call.

be more prepared next time: shovels, better tires, bring another rig, etc.

my buddy and i did this once last winter with his 3rd gen before i had mine, it doesn't take much snow to get you stuck pretty good. we were out there for about 8 hours and we ended up getting a UTV stuck that originally tried to help us and a passing by jeep ended up having to pull both of us out.

Muzzle of Bees 01-07-2020 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rotorwind (Post 3420134)
You guessed wrong. Tried everything: crawl, ATRAC, rear diff lock etc.

You spun the tires so much that the heat from that created the ice. That was the mistake. I have successfully removed myself from being stuck with the factory tires using crawl. Crawl also can be used in reverse. Keep cloth towels with you and use them with crawl or carry a small military folding shovel with you. Getting out and testing the conditions before proceeding is helpful too

mteolus 01-07-2020 05:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have traction boards with me when there is a chance I will be in snow. Shovel would be good to but I haven't gotten one yet to put on my rack. But traction boards or just about anything else will only get you so far if you use your momentum to get far in before you come to a halt. Mud terrains would probably be the best tires in deep snow, snow tires would be the best in shallow icy snow.

I was able to rock this back and forth to get out. Crawl control, ATRAC, and locking the rear diff didn't help me until I started rocking it back and forth and then gun it once I got a little momentum.

mesooohoppy 01-07-2020 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mteolus (Post 3420398)
I have traction boards with me when there is a chance I will be in snow. Shovel would be good to but I haven't gotten one yet to put on my rack. But traction boards or just about anything else will only get you so far if you use your momentum to get far in before you come to a halt. Mud terrains would probably be the best tires in deep snow, snow tires would be the best in shallow icy snow.

I was able to rock this back and forth to get out. Crawl control, ATRAC, and locking the rear diff didn't help me until I started rocking it back and forth and then gun it once I got a little momentum.

get a shovel ASAP for the snow. get one that is comfortable to use so if you get stuck you arent trying to shovel out a metric crap ton of snow with a little flimsy folding shovel. i prefer flatheads over spades as they seem to move just a touch more.

snow shovels are great, but a PITA if you need to move snow from underneath the vehicle.

rotorwind 01-07-2020 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thennen (Post 3420187)
I would have been in the same predicament as you with my OEM tires, which I do like on pavement. With snow that deep, you almost have to keep going straight if possible (as opposed to turning) and keep moving in order to avoid getting stuck. I'll now need to mess around with the ATRAC and Crawl and stuff next time we get some snow, so I can get an idea what they can and can't do. Nice truck - glad you got out!

Thanks. Yeah it’s a good idea to become familiar
With all the off road goodies before you need them. I was doing fine until I tried to turn around (like you said).