Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   General Discussions (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/general-discussions/)
-   -   Scratch Repair Question. (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/general-discussions/281506-scratch-repair-question.html)

power818 01-06-2020 11:48 PM

Scratch Repair Question.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...92a55287_n.jpg7BF0F56E-DEE4-4A0D-B586-940B6D157517 by Tyler Power, on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...61568f27_n.jpg73EC13D2-625C-4C92-AC26-F80ACDC06A9A by Tyler Power, on Flickr

I made some really exciting upgrades to my 19 SR5 4Runner in the last week, and I was finishing it up today with a wash and wax when I noticed this. It is almost on the underside of the bumper where you wouldn't see it very easily, but I was still very upset when I found it. What do you guys think is gonna be my best bet for fixing this? I considered getting some touch-up paint myself, but I was worried I would not be satisfied with the results. I would like to avoid having the whole bumper painted if possible.

mteolus 01-07-2020 01:49 PM

I can't tell, is that flat black? If so you can lightly sand it down with maybe 1000 wet sand and use SEM Trim Black to paint it. If it is a deeper scratch you can use heavier sand paper and prime it first.

swampdodo 01-07-2020 04:02 PM

If it were mine, I would use some clear coat rubbing compound to remove the scratches (as much as possible) from the surrounding paint. Then clean off the area with some rubbing alcohol and use some touch up paint on the exposed areas.

Or, call one of those guys (that work out of a van) that go from dealership to dealership doing minor paint work for cars to be sold. Maybe the local Toyota dealership can point you to whomever they use.

But any idea how you got this 'blemish'? Have you ever been off roading? If not, you might be in for some unpleasant surprises whenever you do...if you are bothered by this scratch/blemish...

The local Toyota dealership here pointed me to these guys...

Convenient Automotive Scratch & Dent Repair - Colors On Parade

Haven't had any work done by them, but they were able to mix up some exact matching touch up paint for my Galactic Grey 4Runner. Most here know that touch up paint from the store or even from Toyota doesn't 'exactly' match, but these guys got it spot on...at least for me.

power818 01-07-2020 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mteolus (Post 3420232)
I can't tell, is that flat black? If so you can lightly sand it down with maybe 1000 wet sand and use SEM Trim Black to paint it. If it is a deeper scratch you can use heavier sand paper and prime it first.

This is the paint matched bumper, so it is the standard 4Runner black paint with metal flake.

power818 01-07-2020 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swampdodo (Post 3420339)
If it were mine, I would use some clear coat rubbing compound to remove the scratches (as much as possible) from the surrounding paint. Then clean off the area with some rubbing alcohol and use some touch up paint on the exposed areas.

Or, call one of those guys (that work out of a van) that go from dealership to dealership doing minor paint work for cars to be sold. Maybe the local Toyota dealership can point you to whomever they use.

But any idea how you got this 'blemish'? Have you ever been off roading? If not, you might be in for some unpleasant surprises whenever you do...if you are bothered by this scratch/blemish...

The local Toyota dealership here pointed me to these guys...

Convenient Automotive Scratch & Dent Repair - Colors On Parade

Haven't had any work done by them, but they were able to mix up some exact matching touch up paint for my Galactic Grey 4Runner. Most here know that touch up paint from the store or even from Toyota doesn't 'exactly' match, but these guys got it spot on...at least for me.

I haven't had my truck offroad. It turns out it was a hit and run by my neighbor in the condo complex I live in. I've got their red paint on my bumper, and they have my black on theirs at the same height. Tried to file a police report, but I would rather not have an accident on my carfax for something this small. Also, I've got some of the Meguiar's Scratch X 2.0. Would this work as rubbing compound, or is there something else I should get?

watchman1513 01-07-2020 11:59 PM

If you have plans for going off roading, and you don’t want scratches, look into something like this Toyota 4Runner - Gen5.

A friend sent this to me, and I might get it one day.

Rmswins 01-08-2020 01:28 AM

I zoomed in on the damage and it looks like the damage is down to the base plastic. If that's the case you need base coat designed for plastic before laying down paint. If you want it done right you should get an estimate from a body shop. The damage is just too wide and long to simply brush on touch-up paint and expect a decent result.

cb1111 01-08-2020 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by power818 (Post 3420550)
I haven't had my truck offroad. It turns out it was a hit and run by my neighbor in the condo complex I live in. I've got their red paint on my bumper, and they have my black on theirs at the same height. Tried to file a police report, but I would rather not have an accident on my carfax for something this small. Also, I've got some of the Meguiar's Scratch X 2.0. Would this work as rubbing compound, or is there something else I should get?

Get a quote from a body shop. Give the quote to your neighbor and see if they'll pay. If not, file with their insurance company. If they won't give it to you, then file a police report.

Bumper damage doesn't affect value even if it shows up on Carfax.

pDubs 01-08-2020 02:56 PM

You should file a police report regardless. The only way it will show up on carfax is if you take it in to get repaired and go through insurance.

Your neighbor, when found guilty, may pay you out of pocket to get this fixed.

cb1111 01-08-2020 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pDubs (Post 3420928)
You should file a police report regardless. The only way it will show up on carfax is if you take it in to get repaired and go through insurance.

Your neighbor, when found guilty, may pay you out of pocket to get this fixed.

Not quite correct. CARFAX gets information from various sources including police reports, insurance claims and from body shops.

power818 01-08-2020 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cb1111 (Post 3420944)
Not quite correct. CARFAX gets information from various sources including police reports, insurance claims and from body shops.

This is what the police officer discussed with me before I made the decision not to file. I did file a claim with our HOA as we have had multiple issues with these specific tenants. I'm hoping we can make some sort of a difference with it.

swampdodo 01-09-2020 11:51 AM

Yeah, I would have the HOA deal with those as....er, tenants first. Because it could happen again after you get it repaired.

power818 01-09-2020 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swampdodo (Post 3421352)
Yeah, I would have the HOA deal with those as....er, tenants first. Because it could happen again after you get it repaired.

This is the second vehicle they have hit and ran on. One of our other neighbors had to replace both driver’s side doors on their Malibu because they destroyed the whole side. Never any “hard evidence” to prove it though.

cb1111 01-09-2020 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by power818 (Post 3421398)
This is the second vehicle they have hit and ran on. One of our other neighbors had to replace both driver’s side doors on their Malibu because they destroyed the whole side. Never any “hard evidence” to prove it though.

Sue the HOA. You'd win on Judge Judy.

swampdodo 01-09-2020 03:49 PM

You might want to invest in a dashcam...with wide angle front and rear cameras...