Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Issues with Duralast Fuel filter? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/281642-issues-duralast-fuel-filter.html)

MarkBlack 01-10-2020 09:10 PM

Issues with Duralast Fuel filter?

So I decided to replace my fuel filter, and I grabbed the Duralast Fuel Filter FF692DL from autozone for $20. It leaked like crazy! So I swapped it out for another one and had the exact same issue! Today I went to toyota and grabbed the OEM for $50.

Has anyone else had this issue? Are Duralast products just trash?

brillo_76 01-10-2020 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkBlack (Post 3422254)
So I decided to replace my fuel filter, and I grabbed the Duralast Fuel Filter FF692DL from autozone for $20. It leaked like crazy! So I swapped it out for another one and had the exact same issue! Today I went to toyota and grabbed the OEM for $50.

Has anyone else had this issue? Are Duralast products just trash?

I only used OEM fuel filters so I cant say much about the A/M filters. However, this dosent surprise me at all as sadly most of the A/M parts are junk. :(

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

gsb77 01-10-2020 10:51 PM

I avoid AutoZone unless it is an emergency situation.

MarkBlack 01-11-2020 12:14 AM

I will only be buying OEM parts from now on! Thanks for the imput

3bears 01-11-2020 10:03 PM

Ive used bosch and mann in the past with no issues. However current one and spare on shelf are Toyota.
there are some parts I think are safe to use as aftermarket.
However...through some of the online dealers and if the order big enough to pay for free shipping, Toyota filters can be very cost effective.

Saddly… I moved to Alaska a year ago and the boys I used to use wont do free shipping. The local dealer will only price match to other Alaska dealers.

RunningForNow 01-11-2020 10:12 PM

I replaced mine about a year ago, and I believe it’s made by Mann. When I replaced it, it started leaking, and I had to loosen the nut and re-tighten, as I was stupid and the nipple didn’t line up quite correctly. After that, I haven’t had any issues.

I would check and make sure the nipples on both ends are lined up correctly before you tighten the nuts.

Dieselchessy 01-12-2020 12:28 AM

They generally come with copper crush cone type washers. I’ve had to use them on older rigs where the fuel line flare was pretty worn from years of use.
But generally steel flare to steel cone works fine.
This doesn’t seem to be an aftermarket only problem as far as I’ve seen.

TWJLee 01-12-2020 05:18 AM

Dunno about duralast but sounds like It is wise to avoid.
I recently bought a Beck Arnley from advance for around $30 . Mistakenly thought it was going to be better Quality...opened it up and saw made in China.
Took it back ....for an oem 32$ when I looked it up.

Some parts (most for these) should stick with oem if possible and shop around

Kanoe 01-12-2020 12:27 PM

You are not the first person to post about this. Others in the past have had trouble with leaking aftermarket filters and eventually put OEM in. I'm not going to search for past threads but there have been some before.

Project_4Burner 01-12-2020 07:50 PM

I work at AutoZone and can honestly say most of the parts are 50/50 on the quality, either they're great and work fine, or they're absolute trash. I'll actually be returning my dualist fuel filter tomorrow but for a completely different reason. Not to steal the thunder of this thread, but has anyone else has a problem even FINDING the fuel filter? I first looked where everyone else says it is to be, under the drivers door along the frame, nope. I went even further and actually followed the fuel lines from the tank to the engine and still didn't find it. Could the previous owner possibly have bypassed it somehow?

UnderFire 01-12-2020 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Project_4Burner (Post 3423231)
I work at AutoZone and can honestly say most of the parts are 50/50 on the quality, either they're great and work fine, or they're absolute trash. I'll actually be returning my dualist fuel filter tomorrow but for a completely different reason. Not to steal the thunder of this thread, but has anyone else has a problem even FINDING the fuel filter? I first looked where everyone else says it is to be, under the drivers door along the frame, nope. I went even further and actually followed the fuel lines from the tank to the engine and still didn't find it. Could the previous owner possibly have bypassed it somehow?

Judging by your username I'm gonna assume you've got a 4 cylinder. If so, it's hiding underneath the intake manifold bolted the the side of the motor. Grab a flashlight and look into the driver's side wheel well and past the starter, it's right there. Terrible spot to get to, I personally wouldn't recommend replacing it unless you're having problems since it's such a pain.

Sent from my JSN-L23 using Tapatalk

HiLife 01-12-2020 11:18 PM

I've read on this forum the problems other members had with aftermarket fuel filters leaking at the fittings time and time again. When it came time to replace mines it was OEM toyota fuel filter only. No issues after install on 2 occasions now.

Project_4Burner 01-12-2020 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderFire (Post 3423270)
Judging by your username I'm gonna assume you've got a 4 cylinder. If so, it's hiding underneath the intake manifold bolted the the side of the motor. Grab a flashlight and look into the driver's side wheel well and past the starter, it's right there. Terrible spot to get to, I personally wouldn't recommend replacing it unless you're having problems since it's such a pain.

Sent from my JSN-L23 using Tapatalk

Preciate the input! Thanks!

wcjeep 01-13-2020 12:22 AM

I use Napa Gold or OEM for any of my vehicles.

plcfcng 01-13-2020 04:36 AM

I got a Bosch filter for my 2001 and it came with a small sealing disk for the in and out. Tried to figure out how to hold them in place while i inserted the lines. I ended up using some heavy axle grease to hold them in place. I tried to put it on with out the sealing disk I could not get them to stop leaking.:fencing: