Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   Lexus GX470/460 (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/lexus-gx470-460-a/)
-   -   Has any put an FJ suspension on a gx? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/lexus-gx470-460-a/281652-has-any-put-fj-suspension-gx.html)

Frontline 01-11-2020 12:36 AM

Has any put an FJ suspension on a gx?

I am moving to a gx from a fully custom lifted 4th gen 4runner and and looking to keep the stock ride height but want to move to a firmer more controlled ride than the air suspension gives. Also looking at swapping my axle from my 4runner with a locker in over to the gx. My thoughts are to go with bilstien 5100s and FJ springs. Has anyone tried this or have thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance

tonyaguilar 01-13-2020 12:21 PM

Pretty sure many of us have done this. I started with 5100's and windy eibach 2" lift springs up front on mine.

All the suspension components should be interchangeable except for the lower bushing width on the shocks when comparing 150 to 120 chassis.

Keep in mind the GX is heavier than the FJ so the lift height will be less.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

IanB 01-15-2020 05:11 PM

I converted mine to rear springs using FJ Cruiser springs, shocks remained stock at that time.

With 3rd row seats removed, it resulted in a rear ride height somewhere in between "N" and "H" settings on the air suspension. I also used the SSO rear coil conversion kit, which builds in a bit of lift height as well (which I didn't realize at the time). Using the Metaltech or Dobinsons coil conversion kits, it would have been closer to stock rear height.

If you're swapping the entire rear axle with a 4Runner one, you wouldn't have to worry about rear spring conversion kits.

ambiguous 01-16-2020 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IanB (Post 3425300)
I converted mine to rear springs using FJ Cruiser springs, shocks remained stock at that time.

With 3rd row seats removed, it resulted in a rear ride height somewhere in between "N" and "H" settings on the air suspension. I also used the SSO rear coil conversion kit, which builds in a bit of lift height as well (which I didn't realize at the time).

Did you use any of the included 1/4" spacers?

IanB 01-17-2020 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ambiguous (Post 3426020)
Did you use any of the included 1/4" spacers?

I did not. The SSO kit has about 3/4" of lift built into the design I believe.