Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Side view mirror UPGRADE? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/281688-side-view-mirror-upgrade.html)

Ifirefight 01-11-2020 05:19 PM

Side view mirror UPGRADE?

Huge blind spot on my Sons 01. I’m wondering if anyone has found a better mirror from another vehicle that will bolt up? My old F250 had a terrible blind spot as well...ended up putting those fisheye round mirrors in the bottom corner...would prefer not to go that route again..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shadow247 01-11-2020 05:47 PM

Don't think there's much you can you do but add the little blind spot mirrors.

This is an interesting idea - You could mount these in the fenders just above the rocker panel. Honda has a new side mirror system where the mirror has a camera that comes on the main screen. You could add a mirror that has a backup camera input, use a splicer to hook up both cameras, and rig up a harness to have the correct side turn on when you activate the turn signal.

https://www.amazon.com/Drilling-Reve...=fsclp_pl_dp_1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfSm8L1W1co

Mighty Buffalo 01-11-2020 08:23 PM

I think the surf fenders have the blind spot mirror.

I put the fisheye mirror in the top far corner and that seems to work pretty good.

brillo_76 01-11-2020 08:29 PM

I have the large blind spot mirrors [ I think the 2 inch ones] on all my vehicles top of mirror the furest out you can go.

This removes the blind spots and when they go bad I just replace them. :)

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

Ed_C 01-11-2020 09:40 PM

I have one on my Tundra's driver mirror 2 in. Blind Spot Mirror

I recently found 2" mirrors at a local dollar store too, not sure if they swivel though.

jgue467 01-12-2020 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ifirefight (Post 3422674)
Huge blind spot on my Sons 01. ...

IMHO, the best thing, on Any vehicle, is to learn to turn one's head. Small mirrors = longer comprehension time.

Luck and enjoy those Toyotas. : ^ )))

UnderFire 01-12-2020 01:14 AM

Interesting. I've always loved the visibility out of 3rd gen runners, nice big side mirrors and easy to see out of windows with little to no blind spots. I've never felt the need to add blind spot mirrors, etc.

Sent from my JSN-L23 using Tapatalk

pluton 01-12-2020 02:32 AM

I added convex mirrors on both sides. RTV'd them right onto the existing mirrors. I see everything, including my rear tires and how close they are to the curb. Also, the convex mirror cuts down on the brightness of the headlights from following vehicles, a property that I like a lot. I have no blind spot.
The mirror I used was similar to this item from Grainger: VELVAC Replacement Convex Glass - 2FAN5'|'702057 - Grainger Except that the actual units I ordered came from Amazon at the time---I can't find that link now.
Whoever drives the vehicle will have to re-learn the judgement of distances through the side mirror, which is easy if you use the car every day.

tvpierce 01-12-2020 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ifirefight (Post 3422674)
...would prefer not to go that route again..

Why?

A driver's side blind spot mirror is the first thing I add any any new vehicle. I also have one of these convex blindspot mirrors that I've used in my last 4 vehicles.

When I drive a vehicle without them, I feel like my visibility is severly restricted.

brillo_76 01-12-2020 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderFire (Post 3422895)
Interesting. I've always loved the visibility out of 3rd gen runners, nice big side mirrors and easy to see out of windows with little to no blind spots. I've never felt the need to add blind spot mirrors, etc.

Sent from my JSN-L23 using Tapatalk

They do actually have very good visibility. I just got in the habit of having these little blind spot mirrors and come in handy in heavy traffic areas. Especially when towing my utility trailer. :)

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

Cree 01-12-2020 10:40 AM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QIkodlp8HMM" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Brian. 01-12-2020 10:44 AM

Drive a vehicle with NO windows and you quickly realize how important mirrors, good mirrors, really are. My "daily" is a 2018 Ford Transit cargo van, I don't even have windows in the back doors. I absolutely rely on the (huge) side mirrors there as there is no possible way to check my passenger side without them.

So I miss having a better view in other vehicles. I find them most useful for backing up though, knowing EXACTLY where your rear tires are is helpful. As a long time motorcyclist, I'm still doing frequent head checks because bike mirrors are worthless. No reason not to have both.

Shame that the best solution is still an add-on though.

Ifirefight 01-12-2020 11:03 AM

So I take it nobody has a better mirror recommendation from another vehicle that will bolt up. Most of us on here are experienced drivers, so we know to look over our shoulders, double check before switching lanes, etc. This is my Sons vehicle and he is a “new” driver. I have taught him all the above. However, there is a lot of benefits from having a mirror that actually works properly. I drive a semi type Firetruck for a living, so I know the value of good mirrors. You also have to “train” yourself to look at the second fisheye mirror if you install one. Also we live in South Florida with the world’s worst drivers.. guess we will go with the fisheye add on mirror for now. Thanks

pluton 01-12-2020 04:23 PM

Slightly off topic, but those that have stated that they appreciate the good visibility out of a third generation 4Runner have never experienced the incredible visibility out of a Land Cruiser FJ 60. Simply amazing. I freely admit, however, that our third GEN 4R‘s have way better visibility than the average modern car.

FunBobby 01-13-2020 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ifirefight (Post 3422970)
So I take it nobody has a better mirror recommendation from another vehicle that will bolt up. Most of us on here are experienced drivers, so we know to look over our shoulders, double check before switching lanes, etc. This is my Sons vehicle and he is a “new” driver. I have taught him all the above. However, there is a lot of benefits from having a mirror that actually works properly. I drive a semi type Firetruck for a living, so I know the value of good mirrors. You also have to “train” yourself to look at the second fisheye mirror if you install one. Also we live in South Florida with the world’s worst drivers.. guess we will go with the fisheye add on mirror for now. Thanks

Dodge towing mirrors will bolt up, they're huge and they rotate.
I've seen it done, I'll try to find more info

Edit: 94-01 Dodge Ram tow mirrors are what you want, all the bolts and holes line up one just needs to be enlarged. I couldn't find a forum thread on it, but several people on 3rd Gen Mafia have posted about them.